Greatest A league players

Remove this Banner Ad

No one should ever forget Benito Carbone's 3 game appearances.

Absolutely took the piss in his debut, scored and set up two incredible assists in Adelaide.
Scored a screamer FK in his third game and tore his hammy badly shortly after...never to play here again :oops:

Milton Rodriguez was fantastic to watch with Nick Carle is season 2 as well.

Depends what we are talking about. If its in terms of best to play who have played in the HAL, then Romario and ADP take the cake. Kewell, Cahill and Ono have done great things and even a guy like Mario 'Fatty' Jardel was immense at his very short peak. Bozza too.

In terms of best players you'd have guys like Archie, Broich, Berisha, Galekovic, Carrusca, Milligan, Nathan Burns, Smeltz, Mooy

Then there's the super seasons of Yorke and Flores, who in that season he had here was as good as anyone has been in the HAL. I'm sure Castro and Fornaroli will have great second seasons.

In terms of great players, I have to agree that ADP was the best we've attracted out here. (Cahill wouldn't even be top 5. In fact if we're ranking "great players" over the course of their career, he's not even the greatest Australian player to play in the A-League, Kewell is.)

In terms of best performing A-League players, I'd probably agree that Broich and Carlos Hernandez are probably the best. I think Broich might be in the process of hurting his legacy though - he was pretty ordinary last season. And as a Victory fan, I'm grateful that it happened, but Broich (alongside the FFA's late rule change over international/Australian marquees) was the reason Roar lost Berisha.

In terms of great players who were still able to perform when they got here, I'd probably go with Ono, but I think people slept on Delpierre during the initial discussion - he won a Bundelsiga with Stuttgart, he became captain there, he played Champions League with 2 different clubs, and he was still a beast at Victory right until the end.

Delpierre definitely the best defender the A-League is seen. It's an affront to NSL players not to consider them too in any discussion about domestic Australian football. Tobin and Ivanovic was the best defensive pairing this country will ever see domestically.

Delpierre definitely the best defender the A-League is seen. It's an affront to NSL players not to consider them too in any discussion about domestic Australian football. Tobin and Ivanovic was the best defensive pairing this country will ever see domestically.

You're probably right - the issue is that, for many, we didn't see much NSL. I'm in my early 30s, and by the time I became interested in football in the late 90s we were already in the "nobody screws soccer like 7" era. I think games were available on the C7 cable channel, but I don't even that was available in Tassie.

Tobin and Milan were the cornerstone of the national teams defence, not just Citys. Delpierre does deserve a mention for sure.

Viduka dominated the NSL in his youth too.

And of course Mori, both here and out west along with Bobby.

In terms of great players, I have to agree that ADP was the best we've attracted out here. (Cahill wouldn't even be top 5. In fact if we're ranking "great players" over the course of their career, he's not even the greatest Australian player to play in the A-League, Kewell is.)

In terms of best performing A-League players, I'd probably agree that Broich and Carlos Hernandez are probably the best. I think Broich might be in the process of hurting his legacy though - he was pretty ordinary last season. And as a Victory fan, I'm grateful that it happened, but Broich (alongside the FFA's late rule change over international/Australian marquees) was the reason Roar lost Berisha.

In terms of great players who were still able to perform when they got here, I'd probably go with Ono, but I think people slept on Delpierre during the initial discussion - he won a Bundelsiga with Stuttgart, he became captain there, he played Champions League with 2 different clubs, and he was still a beast at Victory right until the end.
Del Piero performed better here, but overall Romario was better IMO (not in Aus)

Aaron Mooy & Bruno Fornarolli have to be up there.

Mooy... maaaaybe, based on 2 seasons work. But perhaps loses points for the fact he couldn't lock down a spot with the Wanderers.

Fornaroli just reeks of a City fan trying to get a name in there. This league has had any number of players who've had 1 hot season and then never reproduced it. I don't expect that to happen to Fornaroli, but you can't be anywhere near a greatest players list on the strength of one season. Especially one where, had Berisha not had a quiet period in the middle of last season, Fornaroli might not even have been the best striker in the league that season.

Mooy... maaaaybe, based on 2 seasons work. But perhaps loses points for the fact he couldn't lock down a spot with the Wanderers.

Fornaroli just reeks of a City fan trying to get a name in there. This league has had any number of players who've had 1 hot season and then never reproduced it. I don't expect that to happen to Fornaroli, but you can't be anywhere near a greatest players list on the strength of one season. Especially one where, had Berisha not had a quiet period in the middle of last season, Fornaroli might not even have been the best striker in the league that season.

Fair enough, i am hoping Bruno can reproduce his first season in the league.
Hopefully he doesn't suffer from Novillo's departure, those two had a great partnership last season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough, i am hoping Bruno can reproduce his first season in the league.
Hopefully he doesn't suffer from Novillo's departure, those two had a great partnership last season.

My concern if I were a City is fan is whether Fornaroli is going to still be the talisman. Just as a football fan, I'm a bit nervous about how Cahill fits into that side, and how much they're going to miss Mooy. I don't think Brattan is fit to lace up Mooy's boots, so I see Fornaroli having to work a lot harder for his goals.

Much as I hate City, I actually hope Fornaroli continues to be a success, I think he's a good example to other teams to continue being bold with scouting and with visa spots.

My concern if I were a City is fan is whether Fornaroli is going to still be the talisman. Just as a football fan, I'm a bit nervous about how Cahill fits into that side, and how much they're going to miss Mooy. I don't think Brattan is fit to lace up Mooy's boots, so I see Fornaroli having to work a lot harder for his goals.

Much as I hate City, I actually hope Fornaroli continues to be a success, I think he's a good example to other teams to continue being bold with scouting and with visa spots.
Don't worry mate, we share all of your concerns!

He smashed the record for goals in a season and he didn't even take City's penalties. Hell, I was even going to drop Orlando Engelaar in the discussion, on the strength of half a season.

I must say, watching Castro play every second week last season was a treat.

He'd get the ball with two players on him and I'd think, 'nah, no way he's keeping possession here' and then he'd bamboozle both of them and off he'd go. Every. Single. Time.

If he can put in another season like that he'd be well on the way to making the list of the greatest A-League players.

The more I see players like Castro (and Fornaroli, as I said in a previous post), it make me realise the extent to which I'm a football fan first and a Victory fan second - the die-hards in the terraces would hate me saying that!

I really want to see Castro have another amazing season. I've said on the Victory thread how short sighted it is for the FFA to not realise that quality players, and not big names, are what will grow this league long term. Having players like Castro is central to that. He's the reason to watch the Glory where previously there were none for me.

The more I see players like Castro (and Fornaroli, as I said in a previous post), it make me realise the extent to which I'm a football fan first and a Victory fan second - the die-hards in the terraces would hate me saying that!

I really want to see Castro have another amazing season. I've said on the Victory thread how short sighted it is for the FFA to not realise that quality players, and not big names, are what will grow this league long term. Having players like Castro is central to that. He's the reason to watch the Glory where previously there were none for me.
Are you in the NT or ST, mate? I know Bomberboyokay is..

Are you in the NT or ST, mate? I know Bomberboyokay is..

Nah, prawn sanga section on the sideline. I feel like I'm a bit too old for the NT, and I lack the "crew" that I feel like you need for the South End - to me it seems like it's not really a terrace, it's more a group made of smaller groups.

Nah, prawn sanga section on the sideline. I feel like I'm a bit too old for the NT, and I lack the "crew" that I feel like you need for the South End - to me it seems like it's not really a terrace, it's more a group made of smaller groups.
Yeah, sounds about right. Good thing about the Melburnians is that it is quite easy to go solo, because they are a nice bunch of lads..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back