Opinion Greatest Interstate Rivalries In The AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Progressive Aggresion

Team Captain
Jan 30, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Excluding any Derbies or traditional rivalries, what are some of your favourite AFL rivalries that consist of two teams from different states?

If I was picking my own top 5 based on the quantity of clutch games & general intensity, I'd name these 5:

- Collingwood V West Coast

- Sydney V West Coast

- Port Adelaide V Richmond

- Brisbane V Collingwood

- Essendon V Sydney

Some others which have come in & out of relevancy over time that I'm sure others would like to mention, but I think all 5 of the ones I've mentioned were the most entertaining at their peak, and some of them are still relevant to this day.

Thoughts & Takes?

Both SA sides seem to have a one-sided hatred for Geelong. Port I understand after 119 but I dunno why the Crows still care about Dangerfield when they knocked us off in multiple finals. He’s no good.

Both SA sides seem to have a one-sided hatred for Geelong. Port I understand after 119 but I dunno why the Crows still care about Dangerfield when they knocked us off in multiple finals. He’s no good.
I guess what I can't include when talking about actual rivalries are the other one sided hatreds going around over the years, although if I had to list every team's biggest one sided hatred, it'd look like this:
(Some of them are actual rivalries, others are just apart of my pitiful guesswork)

Adelaide: Geelong
Brisbane: Geelong
Carlton: Gold Coast
Collingwood: West Coast
Essendon: Sydney
Fremantle: Carlton
Geelong: Fremantle
Gold Coast: St. Kilda
GWS: Western Bulldogs
Hawthorn: Sydney
Melbourne: Sydney
North Melbourne: Adelaide
Port Adelaide: Geelong
Richmond: Port Adelaide
St. Kilda: Port Adelaide
Sydney: Hawthorn
West Coast: Collingwood
Western Bulldogs: Adelaide

Kinda?

Port Adelaide vs Brisbane.

The feeling is mutual and the rivalry runs two ways.
It was a massive choice between that or our Richmond rivalry, but whereas the Brisbane rivalry kind of died of after 04, the Richmond rivalry has actually been around for many years. Even before the 2020 prelim, we've had many close encounters over the journey, starting with several matches at AAMI in the late 2000s and continuing to unfold.

We had a great one going with the cats until we fell off a cliff in 2016.
There’s potential with the blues it’s been slowly bubbling away for a few years but if we meet in a few finals over the next few years it will become big I suspect.
Mates are port supporters and we came in at a similar time to the comp it could of had potential but we are rarely competing at the same time.
And good rivalries have to be competitive that’s why the showdown is the best rivalry also there pure hatred for one another.

I guess what I can't include when talking about actual rivalries are the other one sided hatreds going around over the years, although if I had to list every team's biggest one sided hatred, it'd look like this:
(Some of them are actual rivalries, others are just apart of my pitiful guesswork)

Adelaide: Geelong
Brisbane: Geelong
Carlton: Gold Coast
Collingwood: West Coast
Essendon: Sydney
Fremantle: Carlton
Geelong: Fremantle
Gold Coast: St. Kilda
GWS: Western Bulldogs
Hawthorn: Sydney
Melbourne: Sydney
North Melbourne: Adelaide
Port Adelaide: Geelong
Richmond: Port Adelaide
St. Kilda: Port Adelaide
Sydney: Hawthorn
West Coast: Collingwood
Western Bulldogs: Adelaide

Kinda?
I hate Brisbane more than any other club for winning 3 flags with extra salary cap and that 9 goal comeback a decade ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back