Teams Green Bay Packers - The Frozen Tundra

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a shoutout to Preston Smith also, not getting the stats Gary is, but I feel I've seen him in the backfield a whole lot this season. Was really critical of his second season with us, but he's been ultra consistent since.
Didn't he rock up out of shape for that season? Which while incredibly unprofessional happens a fair bit but to his credit he's been top notch since and he also took a paycut after that down season.

Already on 2.5 sacks and I wouldn't be surprised if he's our sack leader by the end of the year as teams put more work into Gary and Clark.

Well. I'm not going to overreact but after 5 weeks we have shown we are not a good football team.
Finally did what we have been threatening to do all season and lose a game we should have won by heaps.
Joe Barry is a ******* idiot. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt but he is a pussy play caller and coordinator and is scared of even being the slightest bit aggressive in his game planning.
Matt LaFleur at this stage may be a good game planner, a good guy to his players but what he isn't is a person who can adapt and change his game planning mid game to win the game. As everyone says 'once the Packers get punched in the mouth, they coil up'. Whether it was Rodgers or LaFleur calling that terrible three and out at the end of the third quarter was just completely embarrassing and arrogant play calling. None of those throws were even moderately good ideas. Same goes with the goal-line plays at the end there, you need two yards but you're trying to throw pretty much a jump ball to Lazard? Our offense is so stale and obvious and we just rely on throws in the flat week in week out.

In a way, and I hope this is the case, it may be the loss we had to have. As I feel this coaching group at the end of the day probably would think after the Pats and Buccs wins 'oh well we won the game', but as Rodgers said two weeks ago, it isn't sustainable, and today showed that. We'll see what changes they make but there's no way in hell that with that defensive personnel and the stock we have in that defense that it should be performing so badly.

Lastly, as I've said all year, I don't understand why they hate giving Jones the ball so much. Get him involved for * sake. He's our best player by a mile yet we are scared to give it to him too much.

I think this tweet summaries it best:

The only solace I can take is that a lot of other 'top tier' teams are also performing as bad or worse than us. Hopefully we can get our s**t together before they do otherwise I don't think we have the team to catch them.

Hmm, it depends who you consider the top teams I guess. I think Philly, Dallas, San Fran and maybe Tampa are the 4 best in the NFC at the moment. We are really struggling but * I am preying we get it together this week.

Didn't expect this loss either. I thought we'd turn it around but no.
A very very poorly coached football team. Matt LaFleur is not a good coach and doesn't set a good tone for the team at all in my opinion.
I am glad Barry made some very necessary adjustments today, I was pretty happy with the defense for the most part. Seemed like there were some 3 safety type set ups, plus Jaire playing in the slot when he had to was cool and worked. Wish he held that pick.

Offensively we are absolute junk. I feel so bad for Rodgers actually. Seems popular for some to get on his back right now but nobody could play well with that offensive line performance today. One of the worst I've ever seen. Rodgers got the absolute s**t beat out of him and kept getting back up. Royce Newman is absolute garbage and Jenkins had one of his worst games ever. It's just pathetic. I do think we should make a move at receiver but they aren't actually the problem right now in my opinion. Tonyan is getting back to his best now too which is good. However the receiving corp without Watkins, Watson and Cobb isn't enough, and something needs to be done about that. Winfree and Amari Rodgers seeing as much field time as they will this week can't be happening.

The Aaron Jones thing is one of the more baffling things I've seen in sports. It's like playing Christian Petracca in the twos. The usual explanations of 'Oh Rodgers plays hero ball and checks out of run plays' is bullshit because Jones wasn't even seeing the field today for big chunks. How about that designed play where Rodgers threw it to Dillon in the flat on a third and 5 behind the sticks. Isn't the idea of that play usually that the receiver will have to make a play if there is nobody there blocking for them, but you throw it to s**t truck Dillon who can't do anything except run for 2 yards occasionally. The bloke is barely a RB2 but they seem to think him and Jones are equals. Jones had 20 TDs in 2020 for * sake! I just do not understand why you keep your best player off the field week in week out. I understand that today running was tough, and the Jets DL was very quickly in our backfield just after the snap, but Jones is such a dynamic player, you need to find ways to get the ball to him.

ST cost us 10pts again today but whatever. Keen to hear your thoughts guys. An interesting time for the organization and I'm really keen to see how LaFleur, Stenavich, Barry and Gutey respond.

Preseason NFC favorites, the Packers, Rams, 49ers, and Buccaneers are all 3-3. The teams they've played combined records? Packers: 19-11. Rams: 15-15. Buccaneers: 14-16. 49ers: 11-19.

Meanwhile the Vikings got smacked by the only team they've played above .500.

Rodgers with the shortest time to throw of his career so far this year.

Guess I'm talking to myself here but yeah, another one. I really thought this would be the 'get-right' week where we maybe win 17-10 or something but again with the loss.

Something feels seriously wrong with this team, and I think it starts with Matt LaFleur. The guy doesn't really seem to have that winning ruthless edge that coaches have. The roster we've had for the past few years to barely even have a handful of blowouts is just weird.

On today, I thought the line was pretty good. Defense did what it could but it just felt they were out there all day. I guess once that scoop n score was overturned it was always going to be hard, it should've been a blowout from there but obviously the refs had another idea, just a ridiculous call.

Special teams whatever, I can't believe they continue to trot out Amari on returns. He actually looks okay on offense but far out. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Just lastly, #12 isn't playing at his usual incredible standard, sure. But I can't believe some of the bullshit I see suggesting that Jordan Love would do just as good of a job, or that we should trade the guy. Just disrespectful and dumb as *. Our receiving corp was always going to be pretty s**t, but once you lose 2 or 3 guys from that area and it becomes disgraceful, there's only so much you can do.

Something feels seriously wrong with this team, and I think it starts with Matt LaFleur. The guy doesn't really seem to have that winning ruthless edge that coaches have. The roster we've had for the past few years to barely even have a handful of blowouts is just weird.
I think there's something very wrong internally that is going on. There's way too much talent to be playing this badly for this long. We can obviously kiss playoffs good bye this season unfortunately.

Yeah, I agree whole-heartedly guys, it's looking pretty grim at the moment, and I believe it boils down to coaching.

I feel we start off games really well, on both sides generally, but go away from whats working or not adjusting to the opposition adjustments. So I think there's either too much ego to change or no plan B to go with. Don't know which one's worse, or which I'd prefer it to be, but its clear things aren't right internally.

I think the key going forward has to be running the ball, and the Jones/Dillon combo (yes, both of them OTR!). We need to be running the ball 35-40 times per game 15/20 each, close to even split. We abandon the run far too quickly, even when its going well. Makes no sense, Jones is a threat to break it every touch, and I feel he's in career best form. Dillon has to get carries to work himself into the game, and we're not doing either of these things. We've looked genuinely dangerous when running the ball more often than not, and they complement each other so well. I don't think one will do well without the other getting a good share of the ball.

And this is not to say Rodgers is done, or anything like that. Cos I don't believe he is, but even at their best, these receivers are genuinely trash. I hate saying it, and I know its not earth-shattering news, but they give the passing game no option. They're all one-speed, and don't anything in their trick bags. What can change it this season?? I dunno. I like Gesicki as an addition, but we still need a threat outside the numbers. And the names being thrown around for trade (of a WR) I don't think will fix any of our problems. Maybe DJ Moore, but I reckon there's a <5% chance they deal him.

Special teams whatever, I can't believe they continue to trot out Amari on returns. He actually looks okay on offense but far out. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

He just looks so uncomfortable under the high ball, and you can see it every punt. Absolutely shitting himself every time. Why is this so obvious on TV but not to the coaches on the field??

Look, not really looking forward to Monday, but I still believe we can make some noise with the right adjustments, so not throwing in the towel just yet. But we are behind the 8-ball, and in a position we've never been in under MLF. This week will tell us a lot about this team and coaching staff.

Can’t tell you a game I’m not looking forward to watching in recent memory like I am against buffalo. Going to get smoked! Could be a 40-10 type of loss. We’re pathetic. Rodgers can blame wr’s mental mistakes but he isn’t hitting throws he does normally. Yeah oline was absolute attrotious again like against the giants. Our defense was supposed to be this all conquering defense with Alexander + Wyatt + Walker added to it. Ffs mate it’s pedestrian.

Our offense is pathetic, and we wonder why our star qb wants to leave and will be forced to retire or leave because he gets no validation with adding some weapons. Yes rodgers couldn’t helped through preseason getting in with these wr’s and that’s on rodgers but this was all sooooo Predictable. Our coaching is horrid, the 2nd qtrs is ridiculous and hard to *en watch. Don’t even know how I’ll watch against the hills to be honest

Really makes you wonder how much time we wasted with rodgers and how it be after he leaves

Few too many beers yesterday. I’m just super frustrated how much potential this team should have and how it’s just not working.

Amari rodgers was one I didn’t get to aswell as all you guys have mentioned. How they keep persisting with him returning punts is beyond me.

And the fact that we are ‘linked with every wr’ that’s apparently gettable before the trade period ends does my head in. The franchise is spineless in the way of putting thier balls on the line and making a play for someone. Like the way Kansas City just came out and grabbed toney from the giants. They have an embarrassment of riches and still add and we keep trying to think rodgers can right the ship when it’s blatantly obvious that he doesn’t have the help outside that’s needed

Again a really poor half doesn't give us a chance. Was always going to he a massive task against the Bills but that first half was just painfully bad.

The second half is how we have to play for the rest of the season. Strong running of the football and dominanting TOP. Good to see Doubs and Toure have strong games, Doubs in particular made some really strong catches under pressure. If we can get Jenkins back into LG we might have a good line again, they started off poorly but the second half was great, opened up running lanes and gave Rodgers time to throw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matt LaFleur Gives Blunt Reason For Releasing Running Back​

The Green Bay Packers waived running back Kylin Hill on Tuesday.

When discussing the decision with reporters, via The Athletic's Matt Schneidman, head coach Matt LaFleur expressed some displeasure with Hill's attitude.
"Regardless of your role, no matter how big or how small, we expect guys to come to work and just be supportive and own that role to the best of their ability," LaFleur said. "When you don't do that, this is what happens."

Via Fox 11's Nicole Menner, LaFleur called it a "privilege" to play for the Packers and said they had "high expectations" for Hill. He confirmed that the 24-year-old got released mainly for off-the-field reasons.

Hill, a seventh-round draft pick last year, suffered a season-ending injury during his rookie campaign. He notched a seven-yard run in his only offensive snap this season.

The Mississippi native returned 10 kicks in 2021, but the Packers still released him on the same day they jettisoned punt returner Amari Rodgers.

Green Bay replaced Hill by signing running back Patrick Taylor to the active roster off the practice squad. Taylor ran for 89 yards and a touchdown on 23 carries last season.

He's only just come back in about the last 3 weeks, we've been playing s**t and he's behind Jones and Dillon he was never going to get a heap of playing time. Also Jones has only ever played a full season once so strong chance he would have filled in for an injured Jones at some point.

Absolute moron, the team were high on him and honestly I would have expected him to get more time towards the end of the year, especially if we were out of playoff contention to keep Jones and Dillon healthy for next year. With an eye for next year in an expanded role on STs and offence.

Barry must be fired before the end of the year, you can't have this much talent and continuously put in these types of performances.

I think it's also time to sit Rodgers. His thumb is injured and now he's carrying a rib injury, while not mathematically out of the playoff race we aren't doing any damage with this defence. Let's run with Love for the rest of the year and see how he goes.

On a positive note it's been great to see Watson be able to get some continuity on the field. Sure he's got some issues with his hands, but you just can't teach his athletic prowess and size. 12 catches, 256 yards and 6 TDs over the last 3 games. Adams, Nelson and Jones all had issues with their hands early on in their careers as well.

Barry must be fired before the end of the year, you can't have this much talent and continuously put in these types of performances.

I think it's also time to sit Rodgers. His thumb is injured and now he's carrying a rib injury, while not mathematically out of the playoff race we aren't doing any damage with this defence. Let's run with Love for the rest of the year and see how he goes.

On a positive note it's been great to see Watson be able to get some continuity on the field. Sure he's got some issues with his hands, but you just can't teach his athletic prowess and size. 12 catches, 256 yards and 6 TDs over the last 3 games. Adams, Nelson and Jones all had issues with their hands early on in their careers as well.

Agree on all of this.

Barry was such a poor hire to begin with, but to give 350+ yards on the ground is probably the lowest we can go, surely? Have always felt they practiced more celebrations than they do fundamentals. A lot of talent being wasted if we stick with him.

I said it a couple of weeks ago in the weekly thread, I think we've got one more year of Rodgers at his best, really need to rest those bodies for a big run in '23, not just Rodgers, but everyone we need to. I think we're still capable, add a couple of high picks, extra experience for the young guys the rest of this year.

Agree on all of this.

Barry was such a poor hire to begin with, but to give 350+ yards on the ground is probably the lowest we can go, surely? Have always felt they practiced more celebrations than they do fundamentals. A lot of talent being wasted if we stick with him.

I said it a couple of weeks ago in the weekly thread, I think we've got one more year of Rodgers at his best, really need to rest those bodies for a big run in '23, not just Rodgers, but everyone we need to. I think we're still capable, add a couple of high picks, extra experience for the young guys the rest of this year.
Also next year seems to be our last year before we're in cap hell. May as well go out with a bang and see what we can do. Bakh, Jenkins and Amos are the big ones if we want to compete again. Although Bakh isn't a FA his contract is iffy.

We seem to have unearthed a good player in Ford, hopefully we can bring him back. Doubs, Watson, Walker have all had flashes this year.

Barry’s surely good as gone! How long have we been talking about the defence should be better.. feels like they’re either unreal or sh*thouse.

A little of me hope rodgers has broke his ribs. Put love in the seat for the next 3-4 weeks and give him a real good stretch. Looked a lot more comfortable in those few series and maybe that extra training reps have helped

In stretches last couple games felt like the offense has looked a little better albeit a bit inconsistent. Bakt has got a little more consistency playing time and maybe we are being a little harsh on him with how hard it was to come back.. the oline have come against some pretty mean defence front sevens recently.. Dallas titans and eagles. Watson clearly feels lot more comfortable and something has clicked which is great to see, rodgers even looking his way on that big 4th down play.. would love to get doubs back and both on the field now together.

Been a tough year both sides of the ball, always gunna happen offensively and then Rodgers has been clearly been hampered by his thumb. Would be pretty bloody hard to throw over and over with it broken. Take into account lack of weapons or the use of them.

Get a new D-coordinator and try sort that side of the ball with the talent that’s already there. and go get a big time offensive weapon and stock the oline cause love will atleast need some help it if we part with rodgers sometime in the future.

Rodgers game yesterday was weird, some of the throws he made were him at his best, that one to Cobb for the TD in particular was perfect example, when he rotates the hips and rifles one. The boneheaded plays and misses though, they weren't there a year or so ago. Its a tough spot for the Packers. If he comes back hes gotta be committed to the preseason and work with his receivers, id hope he does that and wants to go out with a bang instead of a whimper. If he cant commit to that maybe its best for both sides to part ways.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back