Griffths signs one year deal [unconfirmed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't mind trying him out in the ruck - if just to bring out his aggression and force him to compete and into a routine of contests, that he could hopefully transfer to his mindset up forward. It almost worked for Post but we didn't persue it for more than a couple of games.Then again, it never worked for Gus.

Just read it on the H/S website......speechless.

Terrible post.

I'm speechless that your are speechless. He has a stack of upside and I'd keep him over McGuanne without hesitation.
200cm can kick 65m. Thought he was OK at AFL level without being great, definitely not out of his depth.

I'd like to see a lot less of Edwards and McGuanne - who are just honest toilers and more of Griffiiths and Elton.

He'll prove you wrong or at the very least increase his trade value coming into the reported superdraft in 2014

Very happy. I dont mind him hanging in the background for a year or two. He has mega talent, just hope he can package and present it.

Those 65mt torps... Mmmmm.

Ah mate they are drop punts....and more like 70!

Great result signing him up for a year....give him a year in the forward line at the Tiger 2's and maybe some 1's game hopefully. Griff/McBean on the forward line at Punt Rd this year...stop that VFL defences!

Griff was my favorite prospect moving in to this year. I think he has sucked us all in with his height and his athleticism. He should be a good footballer, but he's not.

I saw him a number of times at VFL level this year, and even here he struggles. He has been in the system long enough now where you would think that if he is going to jump up to the next level he would be dominating VFL level - but he doesn't.

Dea, Astbury, McBean, Arnott, etc all look like young AFL footballers playing VFL. Griffiths doesn't.

Personally I would have traded/de-listed him this year.

Up forward he is behind Jack, Vickery, A Edwards, McGuane and McBean.

Down back he is behind Chaplin, Rance, Grimes, Astbury, Batchelor and maybe even Darrou.

Sure he might have a massive pre-season, but he is still going to need alot of these guys to fall down in front of him in order to get a game.

I like Griff.

But I generally don't rate uncompetitive players.

People who are comparing him to Jackson, White, Schultz etc are ignoring the key difference between all those guys and Griffiths. All of them showed hunger, appetite for physical contact, aggression, bursts of good play (followed by bad or going missing) etc.

Griff has shown absolute softness, has taken a couple of good marks up forward 3 years ago across 2 games, never kicked a bag, never shown a burst of good play, and most of all, plays like a skinny netballer. He's achieved less than Cleve Hughes, by quite a bit.

Now compare those soft traits to Tyrone Vickery, someone you do expect to become a good player. Ty has always had aggression, an appetite for physicality, shown bursts if good play eg brilliant vision in traffic and handballing it with a bit of class, or actually using his athleticism to side step a midfielder and run in to kick a 50m goal.

His only true upside is via mental maturity. He needs to enjoy his football more to get the best out of himself, and change his way of thinking about contests. These are hard to do.

Absolute gold and 100% true . You have nutted it perfectly. Great post.

The guy who have improved have one basic quality -White, Jackson King..all have competitiveness and had to improve other parts of their game, which they have.
His non-competitiveness is part of him-I watched him in the TAC-hasn't changed from day one-nothing to do with concussion or pre seasons..I have never seen a guy had so many excuses made for him.

Mark my words he won't suddenly become brave or desperate

I personally don't think he's going to make it, but I have been wrong about players before and happy to be proven wrong again.
A 1 year deal is safe for us and may give griffiths a kick up the bum, you never know

Good decision. Tall with a great boot who has been injured 2/4 years and played down back when he belongs up forward. Put him up front in the VFL for a year and see if he can make something of himself. The potential upside is so great I think we should stick with him till we're 100% certain he won't make it in the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy he has another year although I think at best he is a depth player. Hope he stays injury free and I hope he proves me wrong.
Mc Bean has the young forward position - play Griff ruck and see what comes out - he hasn't impressed down back that is for sure .....

You simply cannot get rid of someone his age with his talent. We all know he has ridiculous athleticism and has the speed of a midfielder, as well as a ridiculous shoe on him.
I think the problem with griff is he seems like the ultimate confidence player. He strung a few games together in 2012 and started to show some really good signs because he was in a really confident frame of mind. Playing the first game in 2013 and lets face it getting taught a lesson by hampson, and then being dropped for the rest of the year must have significantly affected his confidence and I think it was just a downward spiral from there.
Hoping he can find that confidence of 2012 and build on it in 2014 because he can definitely be a player, don't forget it would be hard trying to develop and mature with all the injuries he has copped along the way, probably at a 20 year old stage of development as a result.

Watch as McBean smashes that theory right out of the ball park in 2014 ;)

the bean isnt a tall player though, hes a 200cm small forward

You simply cannot get rid of someone his age with his talent. We all know he has ridiculous athleticism and has the speed of a midfielder, as well as a ridiculous shoe on him.
I think the problem with griff is he seems like the ultimate confidence player. He strung a few games together in 2012 and started to show some really good signs because he was in a really confident frame of mind. Playing the first game in 2013 and lets face it getting taught a lesson by hampson, and then being dropped for the rest of the year must have significantly affected his confidence and I think it was just a downward spiral from there.
Hoping he can find that confidence of 2012 and build on it in 2014 because he can definitely be a player, don't forget it would be hard trying to develop and mature with all the injuries he has copped along the way, probably at a 20 year old stage of development as a result.

That says it all...how many people have been "taught a lesson " by a guy who couldn't get a game most of the year.

From what i have been told is that his year was ruined by a tragic loss off field which severely played with his mental state.
Am all for him getting another year to get his head straight, move on & take his chance as he has too many weapons just to let go at a such a young age

Terrible post.

I'm speechless that your are speechless. He has a stack of upside and I'd keep him over McGuanne without hesitation.
200cm can kick 65m. Thought he was OK at AFL level without being great, definitely not out of his depth.

I'd like to see a lot less of Edwards and McGuanne - who are just honest toilers and more of Griffiiths and Elton.

He'll prove you wrong or at the very least increase his trade value coming into the reported superdraft in 2014
OP isn't even a Richmond supporter. Dogs troll.

I'll almost surely get shot down for this but he's done alot more then blokes like O'Hanlo, Verrier and Darrou to deserve a spot on the list.

Gotta disagree with the Darrou call... He was far more consistent and competitive than Griff all year

Rest of your post is right on though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back