Griffths signs one year deal [unconfirmed]

Remove this Banner Ad

From what i have been told is that his year was ruined by a tragic loss off field which severely played with his mental state.
Am all for him getting another year to get his head straight, move on & take his chance as he has too many weapons just to let go at a such a young age

Yeah, lots of rumours on that. I have no idea. But he has shown lots of talent. If his mind was screwed by a major off field issue then a year later his brain should be more on song. And to me his issue isn't so much softness as he runs to the wrong place, doesn't know how to use his body etc - i.e. he is a dumb footballer. Some of these guys can just learn how to be a good footballer by being taught positioning by the coaches and their own experience. He only has to be B grade player to be valuable. So I say give him another shot. Very happy for another year.

Also the option of playing him on the wing is not a bad one. He has the pace and kicking is great. He is one guy that it could work for. And wing requires running to positions, but not the leading and game tactics of KP player. It would be an interesting thing to try.

One year deal for Griffiths is a good move. As mentioned by others it is last chance city.
Interesting talk about off field personal tragedy as I noticed when he played and we won he rarely looked happy( unlike Jack who carries on like a pork chop, griff is the opposite)
Maybe this kid is just not enjoying his footy. Club needs to get into his head. What makes him tick? He will never improve if he is not enjoying his footy.
I think his role should be as a lead up forward. run to the wing and back to turn the defence. Any mark by him within 60m have a shot.

Looked up some stats on marks in games. Talls like Griff are in the team to mark it, or so I thought. Richmond take about 100 marks a game of which only 10 are contested. We are about average but doesn't this say a lot about the game. Big guys must be mobile, You cannot plonk them in the forward line and ask them to take contested marks all the time. HE must be quick, have good hands, be prepared to run and can kick. This is his role. Can he do it?

regards FFS

Not understanding the people who think that having our own VFL side will make a huge difference and how with it he should be played at FF.

Are you in favor of delisting or trading McBean?

All the KPF spots at Coburg were filled by Richmond listed players, having a standalone team wont change a thing there.

Mc Bean has the young forward position - play Griff ruck and see what comes out - he hasn't impressed down back that is for sure .....

Not a good place for an injury prone player who is lacking aggression to be though.

the bean isnt a tall player though, hes a 200cm small forward

He is a strong mark on a lead and very good below his knees. Not great in a contested mark situation so you are right there but that may be more to do with his light frame. He should improve with another preseason under his belt.

Not understanding the people who think that having our own VFL side will make a huge difference and how with it he should be played at FF.

Are you in favor of delisting or trading McBean?

All the KPF spots at Coburg were filled by Richmond listed players, having a standalone team wont change a thing there.
Where they played was chosen by Coburg and they were all consistently moved around.

Happy with this. Has plenty of potential.

AS Alan Jeans used to say.....the world is full of potential!! staff

I am not sure which part of "He doesn't compete" people don't understand.

Never heard such a litany of excused made for someone...no pre season, concussion, off field issues , played in wrong spot...dropped after a disgraceful 'effort" in round one when he was toweled by a C Grader and the coaching staff realised this guy simply is incapable of competing...falls over, too easily beaten, doesn't want it...it will NEVER change

Never heard such a litany of excused made for someone...no pre season, concussion, off field issues , played in wrong spot...dropped after a disgraceful 'effort" in round one when he was toweled by a C Grader and the coaching staff realised this guy simply is incapable of competing...falls over, too easily beaten, doesn't want it...it will NEVER change

He played some good footy in 2012 so he can play, I don't get what you've got against him, brighten up dude.

Everyone is cautious about bagging him because they're scared of his potential coming back to bite them on the bum.

If he got delisted today, you'd hear nothing but 'well of course he didn't make it, he's non-competitive! Guys who lack any form of intensity rarely make it'

I think he has a new deal because of his attributes and our coaches hoping they could create another good player without trading for one. They'd be thinking 'if we can really push him and make him become a good player, it'll go a long way to helping us reach top 4'

Whereas delisting him and drafting someone at pick 50 has an even lower chance of helping us achieve that goal. He's still very much a long shot, but I am glad our coaches believe they can get something out of him.

Where they played was chosen by Coburg and they were all consistently moved around.

Would that be by the (Richmond appointed) Coburg Head coach or the (Richmond appointed) Coburg assistant coaches?

They moved around (a bit) because Richmond wanted to see where they worked best or because we just couldn't fit everyone in at once (Griff, Elton, McBean & Edwards/McGuane is a really tall forward line when everyone was fit).

People overstate the problems with the alignment and seem to think having a standalone team is some magical thing that will allow multiple players to play the same position at the same time. They're wrong.

Did Ben accidentally run over your dog?

And by dog I mean child.

And by accidentally I mean repeatedly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great stuff - like the Big Griff and still think he can come on and be the monster we all want him to be - hopefully he will be played as a FORWARD next year for our VFL side. Give him a good run in the 2s and see how he goes playing in his natural position. Fingers crossed can avoid injuries and should he get a chance at AFL level, can make the most of it.

Worth the risk imo but its a fairly long list of iffy young kpp players we have.

Griff - low intensity (Fair chance to overcome this )

Elton- Poor kick (should get better but ya never know)

Darrou- seems a bit short (mite not b a problem though)

Astbury-ridiculously slow (carnt b fixed so hes the 1 that should go if any imo)

Mcbean-light weight(easily fixed no probs):)

He's got 1 more year. He needs to show something he should be under no illusions about this. If this doesn't cause him to overcome whatever is holding him back in terms of intensity for the contest, not sure what will.

His upside is plain to see if he can overcome these issues. 1 more year makes sense. Risk is we'd get even less for him on the trade table, but a risk worth it IMO.

Com'on Ben. Show us what you got!

Very happy, still think he has more upside than not. However, is living on borrowed time at the moment, especially after McBeans first year was so brilliant. Playing him and Mcbean out of the goal square for the VFL side and see who dominates more. Give him every chance next year to succeed as a key forward, and I reckon he'll do alright. But it is still just a matter of time before McBean is the #1 key forward. Hopefully by then Vick can be a FT ruckman and mcbean can be back up ruck/fp and Griff can be a monster KPF alternating with Jack between the goal square and CHF.

Don't want to have to much pressure on him, but he is a key ingredient next year. If he can put it all together, our forward line would be potent. Really, this is the last piece of the jigsaw puzzle at the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back