Gws 2012 Round 1 Inaugural AFL Team

Remove this Banner Ad

You would think if fit and right the 14 20+ age players and the best young ready made kid Coniglio start from round 1. Thats 15.

So 6 more spots for a starting 21. You would think its just about the next best 6 that are ready to go. Shiel, Treloar, Hombsch for me are the 3 standouts. Buntine also ready to go aswell you would think. Adams adds midfield depth and pretty well built and Smith also can play a small forward role, is a good size for his height.

I dont know alot about Cameron, Miles, Darley, Bugg ect. Tyson will be a good player.

Hombsch - Davis - Mcdonald

Reid - Mohr - Buntine

Palmer - Scully - Coniglio

Clifton - Ohailpin - Shiel

D.Smith - Folau - Giles

Brogan - Ward - Power

Adams, Treloar, C.Cornes
Sub: Hampton/Tyson/Greene

Keystone_Agony,

Cameron is a big, boofy full forward type. He was on the interchange in last years NEAFL team of the year.

Anthony Miles is an inside mid from near Albury. Got a lot of possessions playing last year in the NEAFL. Could be a "good average player" or could be a long-term smoky.

Darley's a Tasmanian midfielder, who played 11 games for North Hobart at 17 and got in their best in six of them.

Tomas Bugg is a halfback flanker who played with Shiel.

Shiel is a gun by the way. Him and Coniglio are a big chunk of a to die for midfield.

How do you rate guys that have just been drafted like Buntine, Adams, Greene, Tyson, WHE compared to those who were preselected a year earlier in Bugg, Treloar, Darley ect

My honest answer is "dunno".

We got some information out of the NEAFL last year, about who could play.

We'll get some more out of the preseason games.

And we'll rotate a lot of players in the midfield - GWS got a bunch of mids in their initial tranche, then they signed some midfielders in free agency, and then they drafted ... midfielders.

Basically, there are two entire teams of midfielders sitting on the GWS list, and we dont know which of them can play AFL footy.

Hopefully we will have a better idea by the end of the season :)

And we'll rotate a lot of players in the midfield - GWS got a bunch of mids in their initial tranche, then they signed some midfielders in free agency, and then they drafted ... midfielders.

Basically, there are two entire teams of midfielders sitting on the GWS list, and we dont know which of them can play AFL footy.

It's crazy to think that even if Scully comes on and becomes the player he promised to be as a junior he may still only be 3rd or 4th best mid in the team long term. Shiel, Coniglio, Scully. They're gonna be scary in 3 or 4 years.

It's crazy to think that even if Scully comes on and becomes the player he promised to be as a junior he may still only be 3rd or 4th best mid in the team long term. Shiel, Coniglio, Scully. They're gonna be scary in 3 or 4 years.

Treloar has some big wraps on him as well, and Hampton could be special as an outside mod.

wtf. What is with Richmond supporters and going on about whats gonna happen in 3 of 4 years

Best 22 IMO

Backs: ........ T.Mohr .........
Half Backs: S.Reid C.Cornes P.Davis
Centers: J.McDonald T.Scully R.Palmer
Half Forwards: ......... S.O'Hailpin ..........
Forwards: ........ J.Patton ..........
Rucks: D.Brogan C.Ward L.Power

Interchange: S.Clifton J.Giles I.Folau ......... (Sub)

The rest I leave it up to the selectors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think people underestimate/forget the pre-listers...

B: Hombsch, Mohr, Buntine
HB: Darley, Davis, Ward
C: Scully, McDonald, Palmer
HF: Power, Cameron, Miles
F: Hampton, Falou, Cornes
R: Giles, Clifton, Shiel

I: Coniglio, Tyson, Treloar, Brogan/O'Hailpin

Patton to come in when fit again.

Thoughts??

I think you need Cornes' experience down back, and I'd play Coniglio - if he can play like he did in a WAFL grand final, he can play AFL.

That said, its probably pretty similar to how the team will end up, although its probably more honest to log about nine players as 'rotating midfield' :)

This is my call

B: Power, Mohr, Buntine
HB: Davis
C: Giles (ruck)
HF: Cameron,
F: Hampton, Folau, McDonald

Rotamids Clifton, Shiel, Miles, Scully, Palmer, Darley, Ward, Coniglio

Floater Cornes

I: Hombsch, Tyson, Treloar, Brogan/O'Hailpin

SHEEDY'S LIKELY ROUND 1 LINE-UP

B Tomas Bugg, Tim Mohr, Chad Cornes
HB Luke Power, Phil Davis, Adam Kennedy
C Rhys Palmer, Callan Ward, Adam Treloar
HF Curtly Hampton, Jeremy Cameron, Nathan Wilson
F Setanta O'Ailpin, Israel Folau, Devon Smith
R Dean Brogan, James McDonald, Tom Scully
INT Jonathan Giles, Dylan Shiel, Stephen Coniglio, Steve Clifton

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...team-for-round-1/story-e6frf9jf-1226267156960

SHEEDY'S LIKELY ROUND 1 LINE-UP

B Tomas Bugg, Tim Mohr, Chad Cornes
HB Luke Power, Phil Davis, Adam Kennedy
C Rhys Palmer, Callan Ward, Adam Treloar
HF Curtly Hampton, Jeremy Cameron, Nathan Wilson
F Setanta O'Ailpin, Israel Folau, Devon Smith
R Dean Brogan, James McDonald, Tom Scully
INT Jonathan Giles, Dylan Shiel, Stephen Coniglio, Steve Clifton

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...team-for-round-1/story-e6frf9jf-1226267156960

No Tom Dyson? (thinking of putting him in my SC team...)

I'd probably consider Dom Tyson over him, mate ;). Also, this screams publicity stunt to me. And it would keep the fire in the bellies of Tyson, Buntine, Hoskin-Elliot and others, who I still expect to figure prominently. Looking forward to the praccy match in Lavi!

Not that we really have a "Best 22" this year due to heavy rotations, I imagine we'll field all our senior guys for our début and something close to a Best 22. This is my take at the moment for Round 1. However I imagine there will be at least 5 changes every week after that:

B: Darley, Mohr, Cornes
HB: Reid, Davis, O'hAilpin
C: Coniglio, Palmer, Tyson
HF: Smith, Cameron, Tomlinson
F: Power, Folau, Hampton
R: Brogan, Ward, Scully
I/C: Giles, McDonald, Clifton
Sub: Kennedy

I'm assuming no Shiel and Treloar, they haven't been playing in the pre season. If they don't play this week I don't think they'll play in the Sydney Derby. They would just be too underdone. I suspect will introduce them in the first few rounds still

Remove this Banner Ad

Back