News GWS Club and name launch 16 November!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not overly optimistic, my only hope is that the name is not easily "pisstakeable" by our friends at the Terrorgraph and Morons Unlimited.

Again, I'm not overly optimistic :D

Yeah we made a mistake with the "Power" name for this very reason.

Whenever we win some peanut from the Advertiser will make a headline along the lines of "Power Surge" or "The rise of a new Power". The same goes for when we lose and its "Power Failure" this and "Team X turns off the Power" that.

Its absolutely ridiculous but journos are just too lazy too pass up an easy pun! Giants would be horrible for this imo. I can see it now..."West Sydney takes Giant steps towards the finals" or "Giant mistake" etc etc.

As for the reveal West Sydney Wolves should be the name and NSW double blue should be the colour. No ifs buts or maybes. Just keep it strong and simple.

Was looking forward to this but not anymore I have to say this play thing for the afl has lost me, I have just read they will play 3 home games in canberra and have a canberra home jersey, this is the straw that breaks the camels back, own jersey playing 3 games plus 1 pre season game. The afl should pack GWS up and send it to canberra because the damage they have done with this decision is irreparable People don't seem to understand when you have a team up and running you can take games to other areas but not when starting a new team, why are we in west sydney being treated like mugs, gold coast are playing all their home games at home but we are not good enough it seems. I think the afl are going to be in for a big suprise if they think they can treat a region with other options in what sports to watch like this http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/gws-commit-to-some-afl-matches-in-canberra-2010111

mate i reckon that is a bit harsh. I think the opportunity for GWS is how they make their supporter market as big as it can be and hence want to embrace Canberra. The challenge is then how you embrace them and hence the homes games I think is fine. Whether than means a seperate jumper or not am not sure.

mate i reckon that is a bit harsh. I think the opportunity for GWS is how they make their supporter market as big as it can be and hence want to embrace Canberra. The challenge is then how you embrace them and hence the homes games I think is fine. Whether than means a seperate jumper or not am not sure.

I don't think so, the reality is people in the ACT will attend the games, but that isn't why this club was supposedly set up. It was setup to expand the game in Sydney ( specifically western sydney) The club should have played all their home games in Western Sydney for atleast 10 years and tryed to convert some people,by having this fall back position and a different jumper one has to doubt their stomach for the fight. It looks like an exit strategy and how many people in GWS are going to get behind that?

I'd put my money on them giving Canberra the s**t games in the draw.
Why? Cause I reckon they've got a better chance of getting a crowd here against the crap teams than you would in Sydney.
Canberra is deprived of footy compared to in Sydney, so it also saves GWS from "oversaturating" the Sydney market while the NRL has lots of matches scheduled in Syndey.

Why? Cause I reckon they've got a better chance of getting a crowd here against the crap teams than you would in Sydney.
Canberra is deprived of footy compared to in Sydney, so it also saves GWS from "oversaturating" the Sydney market while the NRL has lots of matches scheduled in Syndey.

Wouldn't surprise me to see one or two of the games from the home and away season technically being a WBD or a Kangaroos home game. Get non-drawing games out of Melbourne, WSYD keeps 11 games locally.

were never going to see Carlton v Collingwood here,
or even any of the big Melb clubs- and until Manuka gets an extra stand or 3 it would be a waste and would pack out before they had a chance to put the pie warmers on - and as you point out footy fans in Canberra will turn up to anything they get - even next year Swans vs Dogs for like the 4th time in a row I actually cant wait for GWS just to see something else!

I hope some improve in the FTA coverage is an outcome of this push- FFS AFL - you wanna grow the brand? deal with the TV- compensate stations from taking a hit on ratings by giving them good deals on showing games in NSW

sometimes this year lack of coverage was ridiculous what was unavailable in the average home! I even watched a few games on that crappy dot to dot thing on the AFL website (and was...greatful!, [sob!]...sorry, ...Im ok Im ok...sigh...)

Not long now until the launch.

My odds on the team nickname:
Giants 2-1
Wolves 3-1
Rangers, Pioneers, Stallions 10-1
Walers 20-1
Others 25-1

Team name:
West Sydney {nickname} 3-2
GWS {nickname} 2-1
NSW(/ACT) {nickname} 3-1
Western Sydney 8-1
Others 40-1

Colours:
Light Blue/Dark Blue 2-1
featuring Green and/or White 5-2
Red, White, Blue 3-1
Other Colours or Combinations 4-1
featuring Orange 6-1

It sounds be interesting to see what the end results are.

And it looks like the AFL has learnt its lesson. Domains and trademarks aren't giving anything anyway this time.

doh.gif

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/new-afl-team-may-be-a-pack-of-wolves-20101112-17r5q.html

The thing is, people can speculate and research domain names all they like, but if the name is something left-field that noone has thought of, how are we going to know?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly my point. People can debate why who grabbed what domain when but there's at least two major options that no-one can rationally separate.

The thing is, people can speculate and research domain names all they like, but if the name is something left-field that noone has thought of, how are we going to know?

Trademarks. You can (and lots of people have) run a search of trademarks applied for by the AFL. They have applied for several variations on "Western Sydney Football Club" and at least five different nicknames. The AFL needs to protect itself from opportunists, so it has to get the legalese sorted out before launch.

Intersting how it looks like they are only going to release the nick name, Is that correct or am I reading that wrong.

were never going to see Carlton v Collingwood here,
or even any of the big Melb clubs- and until Manuka gets an extra stand or 3 it would be a waste and would pack out before they had a chance to put the pie warmers on - and as you point out footy fans in Canberra will turn up to anything they get - even next year Swans vs Dogs for like the 4th time in a row I actually cant wait for GWS just to see something else!

I hope some improve in the FTA coverage is an outcome of this push- FFS AFL - you wanna grow the brand? deal with the TV- compensate stations from taking a hit on ratings by giving them good deals on showing games in NSW

sometimes this year lack of coverage was ridiculous what was unavailable in the average home! I even watched a few games on that crappy dot to dot thing on the AFL website (and was...greatful!, [sob!]...sorry, ...Im ok Im ok...sigh...)

Agree Tiger - no chance of seeing your mob or any of the bigger Melbourne clubs in Canberra. AFL will use the op to send Port and Freo:thumbsu: to Canberra.

By the way - got to have Foxtel, better than FTA coverage anyway.

Wolves is the better name but it think it will be giants and two blues (Dark/light) as the colours which will be awesome

Video's interesting, massive focus on the ethnic groups represented in Western Sydney.

The jumper does look better in the flesh than as a graphic granted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back