GWS crowds are too big

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I realise 350 people might not seem a big deal but a line needs to be drawn somewhere for fairness to the rest of the clubs if the Victorian government came out and said 30,000 could attend games right now would you be ok with it just because it brought revenue in for those clubs I highly doubt it was a decision the afl had to make!
Just this week some Melbourne clubs got a windfall from the MCG, with no mention of it being shared with anyone else. And I'd be happy for any government to allow whatever crowds they want for footy; restricting everyone to the lowest common denominator doesn't help the league in these tough economic times.

The MCC are going to hand over money for each game to tenants and the AFL are talking about matching it for Marvel tenants.
[/QUOT
The MCC are going to hand over money for each game to tenants and the AFL are talking about matching it for Marvel tenants.
well the mcc and the afl are separate entities are they not it’s purely a decision for the mcc so what is your issue?

Just this week some Melbourne clubs got a windfall from the MCG, with no mention of it being shared with anyone else. And I'd be happy for any government to allow whatever crowds they want for footy; restricting everyone to the lowest common denominator doesn't help the league in these tough economic times.
Well if you’re stadium partner decided to hand west coast a cash windfall would you want it shared with the rest of the competition

well the mcc and the afl are separate entities are they not it’s purely a decision for the mcc so what is your issue?
That strikes me as a very naive view of the relationship between MCC and AFL. I'm sure the latter deciding to extend the agreement for their showpiece event for 20 years without a tender process has nothing to do with this gift.

So they allow that but are saying there’s an unfair advantage with the Giants getting 350 corporates in the members bars and restaurants around the ground.

It’s a bullshit take
The AFL will look like the fools they are when the NRL has spectators in Sydney. They are so narrow minded and captured by the redicilous Vic Govt policies - so much for a national organisation. Lets start with golf!

That strikes me as a very naive view of the relationship between MCC and AFL. I'm sure the latter deciding to extend the agreement for their showpiece event for 20 years without a tender process has nothing to do with this gift.

That's the problem. The league talks about fairness but seems to have no problem owning a stadium and providing it to a select few clubs as well as signing a deal on behalf of another select few clubs, allowing them to be paid a couple of hundred thousand extra a game.

It's bullshit.

And in other news today, the highest court in New South Wales ruled that however many thousands of people can gather wherever they like, whenever they like with no social distancing rules in place for the purpose of getting angry about stuff going down on the other side of the world.

Yet someone is saying that 350 people can’t gather in small groups under strict rules in a big empty stadium?

And in other news today, the highest court in New South Wales ruled that however many thousands of people can gather wherever they like, whenever they like with no social distancing rules in place for the purpose of getting angry about stuff going down on the other side of the world.

Yet someone is saying that 350 people can’t gather in small groups under strict rules in a big empty stadium?

So what you are saying is you don’t know about why they are protesting.

This strikes me as quite a naive post, it is a three part relationship and you miss the most important one, the Victorian government.

I bet this will be ignored at all costs. Stay home, be safe

The AFL will look like the fools they are when the NRL has spectators in Sydney. They are so narrow minded and captured by the redicilous Vic Govt policies - so much for a national organisation. Lets start with golf!
I hope you’re right because it seems nsw government are rushing with easing of restrictions to be talking about crowds at sporting events already if a second wave hits Sydney from it who would look ridiculous then !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soooo the money given to the Victorian clubs is ok though?

It's completely unrelated to this...

That's the ground operator offering to pay the clubs some money even though they wont be earning it this year as an act of goodwill related to recognising that the reason they weren't bringing money in was due to exceptional circumstances and a long history of working together.

Nothing to do with letting some rich people in while still excluding regular fans.

It's completely unrelated to this...

That's the ground operator offering to pay the clubs some money even though they wont be earning it this year as an act of goodwill related to recognising that the reason they weren't bringing money in was due to exceptional circumstances and a long history of working together.

Nothing to do with letting some rich people in while still excluding regular fans.

What rot.

The club can make some much needed coin and certain clubs are having a sook over it.

Nice little soap box at the end but that isn’t why the AFL are thinking of putting a stop to it.

Most our fans understand the reasoning behind it and are for it.

Giants literally live off the AFL. Stop whining, without the AFL, the club wouldn't last until Tuesday.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Like your mob with Tassie and pokies eh?

Except we are trying to find ways to stop that.

Only ones whining are the clubs whinging about this deal with the Giants.
Just pointing out the ridiculousness of it.

What rot.

The club can make some much needed coin and certain clubs are having a sook over it.

Nice little soap box at the end but that isn’t why the AFL are thinking of putting a stop to it.

Most our fans understand the reasoning behind it and are for it.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

One requires breaking the rules that apply to all clubs equally and are required to get the government approvals to run the competition nationally.
The other doesn't.

That's an issue between GWS and their members as to how they allocate limited tickets. I don't believe that's really the reason why folk outside GWS are upset by the proposal.

I don't think people outside of GWS are upset about it.

I can easily say "no, you have to follow the same rules as everyone else" without getting upset about.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

One requires breaking the rules that apply to all clubs equally and are required to get the government approvals to run the competition nationally.
The other doesn't.

it does nothing other than allows Sydney clubs to make some money and keep some sponsors happy.
It isn’t breaking any rules, in fact NSW is allowing it.

I don't think people outside of GWS are upset about it.

I can easily say "no, you have to follow the same rules as everyone else" without getting upset about.

The article says there were complaints by clubs.

So the money given to Victorian clubs by the MCC and rumoured by the AFL to marvel clubs will be given to all clubs around the country?

I’m sure you can say that, easy to do when it’s your mob being the beneficiaries, again.

The article says there were complaints by clubs.

So the money given to Victorian clubs by the MCC and rumoured by the AFL to marvel clubs will be given to all clubs around the country?

I’m sure you can say that, easy to do when it’s your mob being the beneficiaries, again.
- but oddly enough when it comes to money teh AFL isnt. Western Sydney is the third largest economy on Australia and growing faster than any.
So its NRL hart-land the myopic vics say. But 50% of greater Sydneys population was born overseas so there are plenty of open people in the 'market'.

Having revenue streams which other clubs can't access is a competitive advantage, and an unfair one. There's no way to tap dance around that,

Like poker machines?

You want us to give up our childcare centres and get into community destroying poker machines just so we can be like everybody else?

No thanks.

Every club has access to revenue streams that other clubs don’t use.

You can either stop complaining about the AFL giving us money or you can stop complaining about us looking for different revenue streams. You can’t complain about both.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back