WSYD How are GWS going off the field?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know who those people are, and in all my years living in Melbourne never met a single person who had ever attended a Melbourne Storm game or could even tell you the difference between rugby league and rugby union.

Purely anecdotal, but living in Melbourne, there's a number of people that go to the Storm and Rebels games.

They do all have one thing in common: they all hold Kiwi or Islander passports.

I'd be very curious as to what the Storm and Rebels attendance would look like without that component of the crowd.

For the Storm in particular - given it's been over 20 years - I think they have successfully ingratiated themselves in to a subset of Melbourne's population, but it seems to be almost preaching to the choir.

Purely anecdotal, but living in Melbourne, there's a number of people that go to the Storm and Rebels games.

They do all have one thing in common: they all hold Kiwi or Islander passports.

I'd be very curious as to what the Storm and Rebels attendance would look like without that component of the crowd.

For the Storm in particular - given it's been over 20 years - I think they have successfully ingratiated themselves in to a subset of Melbourne's population, but it seems to be almost preaching to the choir.
Rebels started off really well but are now struggling. I'm a Storm member. Didn't grow up with any interest in Rugby League but when a Melbourne team came in decided to give it a go and whilst I still prefer Aussie Rules I love the Storm.

In the early days of Storm yes kiwis, islanders even ex pats from NSW and QLD made up a large percentage of the crowd these days there are a few but not that many, I'm fact it's more common to see someone in both Storm gear and AFL gear as people like to do the double and Melbourne is very well set out for that.

Less these days cause everyone has apps and already knows but walking past the G after a Storm game heaps of people stop you and ask how Storm went today.

Just posted this in part in a related GWS thread on the Footy Industry Board, giving a few random observations from bei g at Saturday’s game -

Right behind me was a giants fan (male aged about 35-40) who sat between his 2 mates that he had brought along to watch there first live AFL game. One was an NRL fan, the other was into soccer - he said he used to support the A-League Wanderers but now was only EPL as, to quote him - “most A-League supporters are nothing but moronic total w***ers. Both knew little about our game, having hardly watched it alt all on TV. However, helped by the giants fan doing his best to explain the rules, plays and umpiring interpretations, both got into the game, loved the atmosphere and both said they would definitely come back for more - and bring their families.

The Giants fans, who made up perhaps a little more than half the total crowd, were drowned out early by the typically loud and boisterous pies fans (like me) but they really found there voice in the second half - the slow “Giants” chant was loud and strong.

The Giants supporters I observed seemed overwhelmingly of Anglo Celtic or at least of European ancestry, in direct contrast to most of the staff (ticket checkers, ushers, food outlets, security guys etc). I know it can be difficult, but does the club have to work even harder with various community groups in its region to get a more diverse fanbase (and also gaining many more potential members as a byproduct)?

I think that they are going better than the Swans were at a similar time frame when they entered the Sydney market. The Swans were a basket case in the mid 90's but built and built till they had serious foundations. The Giants have been very deliberate in their build, having been given the toughest territory in the league. If they can average 12k to 15k for the season and you'd imagine they will have a bit of success in the next few years then you would imagine that they can win more converts.

I think that they are going better than the Swans were at a similar time frame when they entered the Sydney market. The Swans were a basket case in the mid 90's but built and built till they had serious foundations. The Giants have been very deliberate in their build, having been given the toughest territory in the league. If they can average 12k to 15k for the season and you'd imagine they will have a bit of success in the next few years then you would imagine that they can win more converts.
It was the early 90's when the swans struggled. Barely a win in nearly three seasons in that period had them just about on their knees. It was the mid to late 90's that a combination of factors including signing of Lockett, making a GF and IMO the biggest factor was the rugby league superleague war. Started to quickly gain a firm fanbase as a result.

I see Emu Plains/Glenmore Park Lions have now folded. Along with St Clair, that’s two 25 year old clubs who were quite strong only 6-7 years ago that have gone in the outer-west in the past couple of years.

The AFL should have some serious questions to answer if someone bothers to shine a light on this.

Yes, Opening Round was a success and no doubt they’ll blame Covid, but the decline had started late last decade.

I haven’t seen junior football in worse shape out here for 30 years.

There are now only three clubs left, Blue Mountains, Penrith and Hawkesbury, and they’re essentially forming alliances between them to field teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be interesting to see what crowd the Giants pull today against a lower drawing opponent. What's a pass mark? 12k??

Just a heads up regarding todays crowd, Pink Concert is on, there’s track work in Western Sydney and it’s supposed to be raining.

I’m not confident.

Supposedly we were heading towards a 10k to 12k crowd earlier in the week, no idea now with this stuff.
In obvious contrast to last week, given that North will bring hardly along any visiting supporters and attract no “theatre-goers” at all, today’s crowd will give a good indication of the minimum base level of Giants attendees for their games in Sydney for now.

In obvious contrast to last week, given that North will bring hardly along any visiting supporters and attract no “theatre-goers” at all, today’s crowd will give a good indication of the minimum base level of Giants attendees for their games in Sydney for now.
I wouldn’t say a good indication considering the factors.

... a lot of the hassle is transportation

Depends what you mean by transportation.

At Giants stadium I can go from a seat at the ground to walking through my front door 15kms away in 30 mins (driving). It doesn’t get any better than that.

Most other places you’d struggle to get out of the car park / get on a train / get on a bus within 30 mins.

The buses are fairly decent. The trains depend whether they run a direct service to the city, which they probably don’t for Giants games.

Transport is not an issue, unless there is track work, at Olympic Park.
Trains, Buses, Taxis, a ton of car parks with the M4 almost at the door and a light rail incoming.

It has the best transport options for a sporting precinct in Sydney and probably second to Melbournes nation wide.

Transport is not an issue, unless there is track work, at Olympic Park.
Trains, Buses, Taxis, a ton of car parks with the M4 almost at the door and a lightMetro rail incoming in 2032.

It has the best transport options for a sporting precinct in Sydney ✅ and probablysecond to Melbournes nation wide although that’s made easier by the smaller crowds

EFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back