GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

You cannot own any word , just trading under that name and associated merchandising .

No , the prevailing view is that GCFC didn't want to be seen as an extension of the Southport Sharks .

Is where there in NO confusion in the consumer's eyes to the respective company's identity and previous use has absolutely no bearing if a company has not registered it's trade mark .

Travis Auld (the GC CEO) specifically stated that the Sharks name wasn't considered because of legal issues involving Greg Norman's Shark brand of clothing. He said that if the club had used the name they wouldn't be allowed to put it on any merchandise as a result. This is straight from the horses mouth.

You cannot own any word , just trading under that name and associated merchandising .

No , the prevailing view is that GCFC didn't want to be seen as an extension of the Southport Sharks .

Is where there in NO confusion in the consumer's eyes to the respective company's identity and previous use has absolutely no bearing if a company has not registered it's trade mark .

You tell me to chill you are determined to prove your right, time to take the gloves of you are talking rubbish, if they call it Sharks they would be in court right away, don't agree I don't care many people have pointed out your folly yet you still argue black is white, you seem to have a lot of time on your hands how about you back up your argument point me to the articles regarding the sharks merging, as you stated. But we all know you can't because you were making thing's up. Every point you have argued is nothing short of rubbish, infact I would go as far to say you are trolling the GWS board.

Travis Auld (the GC CEO) specifically stated that the Sharks name wasn't considered because of legal issues involving Greg Norman's Shark brand of clothing. He said that if the club had used the name they wouldn't be allowed to put it on any merchandise as a result. This is straight from the horses mouth.

I'm sure that's not good enough for him.

It's the official name that matters .
Fremantle had to be officially called the "Fremantle Dockers" until they recently resolved their differences with the Dockers Co.
The Swans are officially known as the Sydney Swans AFC which is a bit unusual .If they were officially known as the Sydney AFC then it would have been impossible for the the Sydney fc to be known officially as such .
There was a lot of controversity over the Brisbane Lions /Brisbane Roar clash as both had Brisbane in their title as well as having a lion for their moniker .

The fact is - it's the points of difference in the official title - the place name/the mascot /the product that determine the legality .

That is your fact that is not the fact

There's plenty of precedence on naming conflicts being a cause of legal action. One that I came across in the past - there used to be a Brisbane Lions soccer club but the AFL had to pay them off for the rights to the name when Brisbane and Fitzroy merged. As a result the soccer club changed their name to the Queensland Lions. Amicable settlement there, but given the NRL's overreaction to everything AFL since Hunt and Folau left I'm sure they'd be cashing up Cronulla to take legal action over any use of the "Shark" name.

He said that if the club had used the name they wouldn't be allowed to put it on any merchandise as a result.

And just how does this conflict with what I've said ?

There would be be no problem with naming the GC club the "GC Sharks" but when they came to sell merchandise as football clubs do , they could not sell for example - jumpers with "Sharks" on them .However there would be no problem selling jumpers with GCFC on them .

there used to be a Brisbane Lions soccer club but the AFL had to pay them off for the rights to the name when Brisbane and Fitzroy merged.

Just as I was saying Brisbane Lions sc and Brisbane Lions fc or afc .
There's not enough point of difference so the AFL paid out .
There are no GWS , WS or Sydney Sharks running around the paddock with AFC after their title .There could be "Sydney Sharks" registered somewhere (SL?). That probaly would be a problem , but Cronulla Sharks rlfc is not .

No , the prevailing view is that GCFC didn't want to be seen as an extension of the Southport Sharks.

Travis Auld's explanation for not using the Shark name has nothing to do with Southport, which directly conflicts with what you claimed.

Your only other issue seems to be with marketing law jargon and technicalities which to be honest no-one gives a shite about. The fact that Norman's trademark stops other teams from putting the Shark name on merchandise means that he effectively owns it. Whether or not he can actually own the name is quite frankly irrelevant, because for all intensive purposes he does.

Any new club would want to be able to use their own name on merchandise because it is a big revenue generator, end of story. Your half-arsed solution of not putting the name on merch would be unacceptable to most professional clubs, which is why GC chose something else and why Freo have negotiated with Levi so that they can use the Docker name on merchandise again.

Travis Auld's explanation for not using the Shark name has nothing to do with Southport

I did not hear that .The general consensus was that they didn't want to be seen as an extension of Southport like Port Adelaide .Maybe he was being nice to the Southport connection in not mentioning that as well .
That's what a good CEO would do .

Your only other issue seems to be with marketing law jargon and technicalities which to be honest no-one gives a shite about.

Ah , you can't handle the truth .

Freo have negotiated with Levi so that they can use the Docker name on merchandise again.

Thank you for backing me up .Exactly my point .
Fremantle were allowed to be called the Fremantle Dockers but not market their merchandise under a "Dockers" banner .Yet the merchandising department of Fremantle has been more successful than most .
I agree merchandising is a major consideration but it isn't the only consideration .

Thank you for backing me up .Exactly my point .
Fremantle were allowed to be called the Fremantle Dockers but not market their merchandise under a "Dockers" banner .Yet the merchandising department of Fremantle has been more successful than most .
I agree merchandising is a major consideration but it isn't the only consideration .

Well I'm going with a direct quote from the CEO over your 'general consensus' abstraction which has zero supporting evidence.

And I didn't prove your point with the Fremantle example. In fact the absolute opposite to what you say occurred because they were not allowed to be called the Dockers in any official sense. They were not allowed to use the dockers name on anything official including clothes, signage, club documents, the website and even the club logo which was changed two years after the club entered the comp. They were only ever referred to as the dockers in an unofficial context, but the were officially just the "Fremantle Football Club".

AFL's new hobby: ripping off America.
200px-Phoenix_Suns.svg.png
Giant_quarterbacks.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Posted this on the main board, but thought I'd vent my spleen here also:

Shocking decision by the GWS. They had a chance to actually listen to their potential supporter base, who firstly got the Wolves name added to the list when it wasn't there to start with, and then voted overwhelmingly for it in any poll you care to look at.

So instead of building community involvement in the team ('Hey dad! They picked the name I voted for!), they've p*ssed a golden opportunity up against the wall.

Well I'm going with a direct quote from the CEO .

Good for you .
But don't deny that the Southport association was a major issue .

they were not allowed to be called the Dockers in any official sense.

Yet in reality that's what everyone did/does knows them by .
They are the Fremantle Dockers .

Good for you .
But don't deny that the Southport association was a major issue .

Yet in reality that's what everyone did/does knows them by .
They are the Fremantle Dockers .

You seem to have issues with admitting that you're wrong...you won't even accept something that the CEO of the club in question actually said in person. And I will deny that the Southport association was an issue, because it wasn't cited by anyone from the club. It may have been conjecture here on BF but that doesn't mean it was ever an actual issue for the club in reality. The Sharks name was the overwhelming public favourite at the start of the whole GC17 process and GC would have loved to use it because of its popularity. But it couldn't be used to make the merchandising green so it didn't even make it past first base. End of story. And if the Southport association was such a problem why did GC hold their launch party at Southport and advertise them as a patron partner on their website? Wouldn't this just cause SO much confusion?! Won't people think that they're some sort of Southport extension club? :rolleyes:

As for Freo I never said that people didn't refer to them as the Dockers, I certainly did. But officially (which is what we were talking about as you will recall) the club couldn't use the name after the Levi court case. This has now been rectified however after further negotiations that were held last year.

Jaguar , you are just going around in circles .

Fremantle obviously achieved something that people like you are saying GC and GWS couldn't . Good on Fremantle . Bad luck GC and GWS .

Jaguar , you are just going around in circles .

Fremantle obviously achieved something that people like you are saying GC and GWS couldn't . Good on Fremantle . Bad luck GC and GWS .

Yeah they got sued. Then they had to change their playing strip as part of the deal with Levi in order to use the name again 12 years later.

GC and GWS obviously don't want the hassle/costs and would like to create a strong identity that can't be challenged from day one. Makes sense.

This team will be gone in 10 years.
Look at all the teams with similar names.
North Melbourne Giants NBL
Victorian Titans NBL
Northern Spirit NSL
Melbourne Storm NRL
Port Adelaide Power AFL

All these stupid names which mean nothing end in one thing,
Supporters not caring and eventually, the clubs dying.

West Sydney Wolves
West Sydney Serpents
West Sydney Snakes

All these names resonate as AFL teams.
Not Giants... what a joke.

Luckily with the coming AFL Division 2 we can rest assured
that this team will get relegated to the second division,
lets hope Fitzroy or Port Adelaide Magpies are in a second division
and take the place of Power and Greater Western Broader City Giants or whatever they are called.

AFL got it so right with Gold Coast but have got it all wrong here, even after fans told them what to do...

EPIC FAILURE AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back