Hammo the Reporter II - Electric Boogaloo

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah I like this latest effort.
Brisbane Lions need a strong marking forward for the future

Its behind a paywall so I dont know what it says, but it does scream one thing.

Hes awesome at recycling.

couriermail.com.au Monday, May 27, 2013 The Courier-Mail
FRST

SPORT

Lions need marks man

Andrew
Hamilton
AFL
LIONS LEFT BLUE

:Carlton’s
Jarrad Waite takes a mark.
CONTESTED marking: it is
the most exciting skill in Australian
football, and players who
can do it consistently are still
the most important.
Because they are rare.
You cannot survive in this
competition without a quality
midfield, but all the good sides
have them – the point of
difference often is the power
forward.
Jarrad Waite’s marking was
the difference in Carlton’s victory
over Brisbane at the
Gabba on Saturday night.
Look back to the previous
weekend, and the two best
games finished with spectacular
pack marks.
West Coast’s Nic Naitanui
flew from five deep to pull one
down which led to the goal that
won the Eagles the game
against the Kangaroos.
Swan Sam Reid lifted himself
above a big pack to take a
mark in the Dockers’ goal
square to deny them a goal or
even rushed behind that would
have given them victory.
It is why the Lions went for
Kurt Tippett last year, and have
put their hand up for Lance
‘‘Buddy’’ Franklin this year.
Franklin would be an enormous
asset for any club in the
competition. He drags fans
through the gate.
But pack marking is not his
great strength.
Yesterday he booted five
goals in a great performance
against the Suns, but you could
argue Rory Thompson held his
own in that contest.
The Hawks pumped the ball
inside fifty 70 times, but Franklin
took just five marks.
He looked most dangerous
when he pushed Thompson
under the ball and beat him in a
foot race back to goal.
Brisbane are rank outsiders
to get Franklin, so they need a
clear strategy to find a replacement
for Jonathan Brown.
The draft might be critical
because footy sides do not give
away gun marking forwards.
The Lions have brought in
Jordan Lisle and Stefan Martin
in recent years so they are
covered.
They don’t need another
speculative trade. The next
forward has to be a star.
They don’t come along every
year, but Vic Metro’s Thomas
Boyd has people talking.
His will be one of the first
few names called in this year’s
draft.
Brisbane may have a high
enough pick if they can’t turn
their season around but, if not,
maybe they should offer up a
player to get it.

He is an idiot. Who exactly are the Lions supposed to offer to trade for a top 3 pick?? Seriously he is a clown.

Boyd will go 1, no doubt. But GWS don't need him as they have a replica in Patton and a gun CHF in Cameron (and possibly Buddy).

So, pick 1 will more than likely be on the table this year. I think the bidding will be fierce. For example, the Bulldogs could offer, for example Ryan Griffen to move two spots, from #3 to #1. It's sounds a massive waste, but they'd be getting a bonifide tall forward instead of a top ranked midfielder, a type they have many of.

Not sure what we could/should/would offer as we'll more than likely have picks 4, 5 or 6 this draft :cool:

Yeah, I don't like to join in the Hammo bagging generally, but his conclusion is just hopelessly naive.

When do teams ever trade away a top 3 draft pick? And who on earth could we appropriately trade to get it?

This is the kind of idle speculation that might be floated and instantly dismissed on an internet forum, not used to anchor a supposedly serious opinion piece in a major newspaper.

Boyd will go 1, no doubt. But GWS don't need him as they have a replica in Patton and a gun CHF in Cameron (and possibly Buddy).

So, pick 1 will more than likely be on the table this year. I think the bidding will be fierce. For example, the Bulldogs could offer, for example Ryan Griffen to move two spots, from #3 to #1. It's sounds a massive waste, but they'd be getting a bonifide tall forward instead of a top ranked midfielder, a type they have many of.

Not sure what we could/should/would offer as we'll more than likely have picks 4, 5 or 6 this draft :cool:

Good point, as an ex-player and assistant coach '04-'10 Dogs and Hawks '10-'12, Leon Cameron taking over as head coaching with the Giants next season..He's a good operator.I suspect trading relationship between the Dogs, The Hawks, & the Giants to benefit each other, as he already has a inside info of the lists at those clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What galls me is today the CM had a huge piece written by Paul Syvret - THE ASSISTANT EDITOR - on rumor and innuendo being reported as fact and the implications of that with Gillard and the recent interviews and fallout, and how too much faith and credence is given to such drivel and how we as a society have somehow lost all discretion in knowing when to say enough is enough...

And yet down the hall sits his number one partner in crime who uses social media as an encyclopedia and gossip as his fact checker. A man who's agendas and bias's show are obvious to anyone who can read past 3rd grade level.

Clearly its ok to, not only run a newspaper with massive double standards and with a complete lack of credibility when it comes to one part of our community, but its also perfectly acceptable to invoke that same outcry when one persons future is jeopardized and not another because of it.

Asshats.

One day facts might actual become the basis for journalism again. Mind you I did say ONE day... just not any day soon...

I'm surprised Hammo hasn't been asked to join the board of a footy club seeing as he's such a footy genius.

Besides, Rich doesn't want to go. And as we've all learnt, you don't get rid of players who don't want to go.

Can't find it online yet, but Hammo's piece today revolves around how we should offer up Rich for Boyd.

He really is an idiot, this isn't gutter journalism, this is just plain stupidity, Rich has just signed a new deal, his value is far greater than the Bradshaw/Rischatelli trade. And as already stated he loves Brisbane, nothing more can be said. His love for the Suns must be waining we have beat them 5 in a row and he needs to shift the emphasis away from our wins. What will he write about next week.

You see how this works hey.

Hammo sits in his office trying to find the hidden meaning in the comics section when someone says hey how come you haven't jumped on the Boyd bandwagon... Hmmm says Hammo, you're right. I'll reseach it now.

So Hammo true to his word, prints of a Lions player list and cuts all the names out into strips.

Puts strips in a hat.

Draws Daniel Rich. Taddaaa.

Great says Hammo. Fully researched, fully investigated and very credible in my usual style. After careful assessment I have concluded that not only is Richy tradable he is equal value to an unknown quantity. Sounds like a great story.

And, backed by the Courier Mails love of AFL and its unquestionable level of truth in journalism it makes print.

Why do they even bother. The purple telletubby has more AFL cred than this dweeb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back