Opinion Has anyone else fallen out of love with the club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nobody doubted their sincerity just their efficacy

Might as well say Burton and Campo tried really hard too. Wait that’s exactly what they did only a few weeks before the review

That’s the scale of the disregard, as long as we try then they have no right to expect more

In a performance industry effort is a given, not the final answer

Roo’s response revealed again, what they really think

And you can’t apologise for what you really think

The moment that I heard Roo try and justify Burton's position on the basis of "no one wants this club to achieve success more than he does" was when all credibility was lost.

There's a distinct difference between wanting success and actually achieving it. Everyone involved in football wants success, but there's only a select few who are actually good enough to achieve it.

If Roo cannot understand this then he's clearly not the right person to be leading this club.

The moment that I heard Roo try and justify Burton's position on the basis of "no one wants this club to achieve success more than he does" was when all credibility was lost.

There's a distinct difference between wanting success and actually achieving it. Everyone involved in football wants success, but there's only a select few who are actually good enough to achieve it.

If Roo cannot understand this then he's clearly not the right person to be leading this club.
Exactly. How did we go from "elite standards" to " trust us, we're trying our best"?

Roo has loser stench all over him.

There are so many things in one season alone that make us 'fall out of love with the club' and I get down too. I decided not to renew my membership this year as a protest to the club hierarchy (And I wrote to them with that very reason). I'll probably rejoin the year after but they dont know that.

The BIGGEST factor that I cant control that arcs me up is the media (most of it fake news/ spot fire lighting) associated with our recent downfall. Prictorian media to be precise; they just s**t me to tears. Write about some other club in a disparaging way, Im over it!

The game itself is another factor - its a joke the way the flogs at the top change the rules and regs so much...I mean the Bunker FFS...Just lolworthy

Having said all that, I cant wait til we show the other clubs how well we can bounce.

I still have my membership for next year.

I was originally going to downgrade my gold to a silver ticket, but was lazy and forgot to do it.

Exactly. How did we go from "elite standards" to " trust us, we're trying our best"?

Roo has loser stench all over him.

I honestly think Roo believed that if he told people that Burton desperately wanted this club to be successful that we would just buy in on it.

The other problem is that he'd been in the job for 2-3 years and the only thing that Roo seemed to have to endorse him is telling people that he wants the club to succeed.

If after 3 years in the job that's the only thing that Roo had to sell to people about Burton then it's pretty damning IMO

Last edited:
I honestly think Roo believed that if he told people that Burton desperately wanted this club to be successful that we would just buy in on it.
Shows you how out of touch he is with supporters. The cauldron of anti-Burton sentiment had been bubbling for bloody ages and not just on BigFooty either. He should have been sacked at the end of 2018. To let him go into 2019 and still be defending him after yet another bad season, is just mind numbingly stupid. I've lost any faith I had in Roo in an admin capacity. If it were up to me, he'd be relegated to the media where the standards are much lower.

See?...more stupid far king changes for 'change' sake. :oops:

...and of course the media whore has to weigh in on something totally different.
The competition committee met on Tuesday afternoon and it is understood that the AFL general managers of football will meet on Friday.

AFLPA President Patrick Dangerfield has previously voiced his preference for games to be shortened.

“I think it’s something that needs to be reviewed,” he told SEN’s Whateley about the length of the season and matches.

“Twenty-two games I see as too many anyway, but the length of the game is a conversation piece that needs to be had.

Very similar Jen, without the heart scares. Hope all is better now.

And whilst I do believe that a lot of supporters have trust issues with the club, and that these are understandable, I have one word. Essendon.

How anyone with any conscience could support that club I'll never understand.

And the support provided by the AFL showed their true colours too. They really are the evil empire.

Completely agree with Tinman and Jenny.

The Essendon scandal ended AFL interest for me. The way in which that played out was a disgrace.

The game itself has also devolved into a boring rolling maul in most games so the actual product just doesn’t have the same aesthetic appeal that it did in the glory days of the 80’s and 90’s. What reinforced this for me was watching the SANFL GF this year. Being Melb based I hadn’t watched an SANFL game in over a decade but found myself genuinely enjoying the product on screen for the first time in years. One on one contests, players streaming down the wing, flying for contested grabs. This is what FOOTY Is.

At AFL level I have gone from a rabid support and follower to someone who only watched a couple of halves of crows games this year. I just lost interest, murmured ‘meh’ and did something more interesting with my time.

Some posters may ask why am I posting if I don’t care. Well the draft is on and as a (former) rabid fan I used to follow it like a hawk. For old times sake I logged on to read about who the crows took. First time I have done that in a long time.

What surprised me is that I ended up reading this whole thread and posted a reply instead. Again, a first in a long time.

Thanks for posting Relapse, first time I have felt the need to post in a long time. Kinda ironic that it is about my apathy for AFL as it currently stands.

Completely agree with Tinman and Jenny.

The Essendon scandal ended AFL interest for me. The way in which that played out was a disgrace.

The game itself has also devolved into a boring rolling maul in most games so the actual product just doesn’t have the same aesthetic appeal that it did in the glory days of the 80’s and 90’s. What reinforced this for me was watching the SANFL GF this year. Being Melb based I hadn’t watched an SANFL game in over a decade but found myself genuinely enjoying the product on screen for the first time in years. One on one contests, players streaming down the wing, flying for contested grabs. This is what FOOTY Is.

At AFL level I have gone from a rabid support and follower to someone who only watched a couple of halves of crows games this year. I just lost interest, murmured ‘meh’ and did something more interesting with my time.

Some posters may ask why am I posting if I don’t care. Well the draft is on and as a (former) rabid fan I used to follow it like a hawk. For old times sake I logged on to read about who the crows took. First time I have done that in a long time.

What surprised me is that I ended up reading this whole thread and posted a reply instead. Again, a first in a long time.

Thanks for posting Relapse, first time I have felt the need to post in a long time. Kinda ironic that it is about my apathy for AFL as it currently stands.
My apathy is directed more towards the AFL asses who deals with the MRP rules and how biased the outcomes were with respect to the 2 penalties on Tex in 2018. Then the crap show that was the Vic media in 2018 adding constant fuels to allegations without bothering to fact check or showing any hint of remorse when most of the rumours were dispelled.

Regarding the club itself, I was frustrated with all the hammies back in early 2018. Then the second half in 2019, the players/coaches appeared to not be sync with one another for whatever reasons, which I think caused a lot of frustrations for the fans generally. The fact I have a lot of frustrations, on reflection, shows I still care and love this club.

TLDR: AFL franchise/empire I have apathy for. Crows I have frustrations and disappointment for, but I still love.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel the same way. If you get a chance, try and watch state league junior footy too. It's so much more watchable and feels more like old footy.

The current state of the club feels worse now than previous lean spells because:
  • 10% - The AFL itself is mismanaging the game. Which trickles down to enthusiasm about supporting your club of choice.
  • 90% - Most of the problems predate him, but Mark Ricciuto represented the last hope that the club could fix itself via normal processes. And the hyped review represented his last hope of having meaningful impact. With the review being rather mediocre, there is no conceivable way the club can get back on track without some extraordinary external intervention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back