Has anyone heard the Fitzroy Theme Song? We should play it if we win a game in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

loyallion

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 22, 2005
Somewhere.......
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Indianapolis Colts Detroit Lions
I absolutely love the Fitzroy theme song and I reckon it would have sounded bloody awesome When it was played loud at the MCG after a win.

My Question to you guys is Why can't we play it after a Win in Melbourne? Instead of playing the Brisbane Lions song twice after a win? I reckon we should play the Brisbane Lions Theme once and then the Fitzroy theme song after it.

If you have never heard the Fitzroy theme song you can hear it here : I love this song Its easily the best ever AFL theme song! and IMO leaves the Brisbane Lions theme song for dead.

"Premiers, we'll be this year"
Personally, I hate team songs that mention winning the flag or being the 'best team of all' or 'strongest'.
It is just cringe worthy when a team wins a game in round 12 and it's their second win for the year because they're s**t and they start singing about winning the flag or being some sort of dominant force.

At least our song talks about pride, fight, unity without getting ahead of ourselves or misrepresenting the team by overstating how good we are.

Personally, I think it's a step to far backwards. Doing heritage jumpers and all that is good to keep that alive, but at the same time we are the Brisbane lions now, not the bears or Fitzroy, it's an identity that supports from both clubs can adopt going forward. If we keep looking to do Fitzroy or bears things, it just continues to create two separate identities in the club where there should be one.

I like what Chopperduck and Mr Rip said above. No to all the time, but if we ever considered changing the arrangement, the Roys arrangement (especially the opening) works a treat.

Personally, I think it's a step to far backwards. Doing heritage jumpers and all that is good to keep that alive, but at the same time we are the Brisbane lions now, not the bears or Fitzroy, it's an identity that supports from both clubs can adopt going forward. If we keep looking to do Fitzroy or bears things, it just continues to create two separate identities in the club where there should be one.

My thoughts exactly. All I ask, is that the club is respectful of all it's history and its supporters.

I think the heritage round would mean much more to me if it came around once every five years. I can see however, that for the players it formalises the history they are taught, and gives it real context annually.

For me at AFL level, it's all Brisbane Lions. I like going down memory lane and it only reinforces my love of my club. Gotta own the bad with the good, and it's the journey that counts most. It makes the great moments greater.

The La Marseillaise was originally a war song and it is meant to be stirring and emotional. The Fitzroy theme song conveys this feeling much more than the Brisbane Lions theme song.

Keep the words of the Lions song, but re-record the music and maybe the vocals to be much more stirring and forceful. I don't think the Fable Singers are still around unfortunately.

Those Fable recordings were circa 1972. For those with a Melbourne slant, I read somewhere that they were all arranged by Ivan Hutchinson from Channel Seven, and probably a hint at Seven's first 'marketing' involvement with their football coverage perhaps.

Some of the traditional Melbourne based clubs have had a crack at 'modernising' the versions over the years.... Collingwood definitely changed "oh the premierships a cakewalk" for a year or so and it was met with fan derision. Geelong actually changed their song for a season, and went straight back to the original. Lets not forget that the Swans tried to persist with a re-write of "Up There Cazaly/Up there for Sydney" for a while, but in the longer term have stuck with a more traditional rendition of "Cheer Cheer..."

There is something about those versions from that period that continue to resonate with fans of different age groups.

Personally, I think the Roys horn arrangement is sensational. I'm more than comfortable with the wording of the Brisbane Lions theme song. But if we ever wanted to toy with the arrangement, I think going backwards to go forwards, by considering a similar rendition arrangement to the Roys one would work a treat. Even the bouncing horns in the instrumental middle section is a ripper.

And this:
"The La Marseillaise was originally a war song and it is meant to be stirring and emotional."
That is exactly right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep the original was pretty bloodthirsty. A desperate and dangerous song for desperate and dangerous times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Marseillaise#Lyrics

Can't quite get the translation, the tune and the Lions song lyrics lined up but the sentiment of the reactionaries are coming to kill your women and children is pretty extreme, even for the late 18th century.

The French Republic obviously never had to sit among three families of Collingwood fans because none of the Lions members could be bothered coming to the game. :eek:

There is something about those versions from that period that continue to resonate with fans of different age groups.

Personally, I think the Roys horn arrangement is sensational. I'm more than comfortable with the wording of the Brisbane Lions theme song. But if we ever wanted to toy with the arrangement, I think going backwards to go forwards, by considering a similar rendition arrangement to the Roys one would work a treat. Even the bouncing horns in the instrumental middle section is a ripper.

THe cheesy 70's songs are a thousand times better than the modern synthesizer and drum machine songs.

It's exactly like the classic simple jumpers versus the modern fancy, 'graphic designer' jumpers.

I think I have heard the Fitzroy theme song before, but I can't quite place where...Oh now I remember, I heard it this year at the Brunswick street oval after we beat Ajax. Very stirring tune.

I vote for getting our jumper back and then chilling out on change for a while...

Before we end up with Pseudo Echo's Funky Town or something...

How good would it sound played loud at the MCG though? wish I could have listened to it at the MCG Damn good song though

I absolutely love the Fitzroy theme song and I reckon it would have sounded bloody awesome When it was played loud at the MCG after a win.

My Question to you guys is Why can't we play it after a Win in Melbourne? Instead of playing the Brisbane Lions song twice after a win? I reckon we should play the Brisbane Lions Theme once and then the Fitzroy theme song after it.

If you have never heard the Fitzroy theme song you can hear it here : I love this song Its easily the best ever AFL theme song! and IMO leaves the Brisbane Lions theme song for dead.

So long as we play the Brisbane Bears theme song after a win in Brisbane, no problem.

It's already bad enough to have our jumper and logo bastardised. Leave the Brisbane Lions theme song the way it is.

As someone who grew up supporting the Brisbane Lions, this is the song I loved and embraced as a kid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back