Roast Has Opening Round been totally botched?

Remove this Banner Ad

How are reach figures "bullshit"?

They provide a specific data point.

More meaningful than an average that tells us the half hour news bulletin wins every night.
they're not useful to compare vs previous figures. (therefore I don't like them) :)

edit: my inner "old man yells at cloud" hates new things.

Completely unfair to the teams who have to play one of the opening round teams in round 2 with a game under their belt.

This competition is amateur
yeah, as if GWS away first up wasn't a big enough ask for North, we also get them after being played into form by the reigning premier with absolutely no match conditioning of our own to speak of. they simply wouldn't try to pull this s**t on a Collingwood, Carlton or Richmond.

yeah, as if GWS away first up wasn't a big enough ask for North, we also get them after being played into form by the reigning premier with absolutely no match conditioning of our own to speak of. they simply wouldn't try to pull this s**t on a Collingwood, Carlton or Richmond.
Who would you like to play in R1, that wouldn't be a big enough ask...WCE, Williamstown, Preston? Why would they be played into form? Look R0 is a bullshit concept and I hope we see the last of it but I reckon a team like the Richmond with an away game in QLD and a 5 day front up to R1 may have more reason to be pissed. I dont think the Pies or Blues have been done any favours with this draw either.

Happened to Carlton in 1991. Happened to Collingwood in 1992. (and both teams won)

With a 19th team to be added in the near future, it's something people are just gonna have to get used to.

Reach figures are bulldust under the new system.
  • Total TV Overnight Top 30 and Consolidated 7 Top 30 National Total TV reach is calculated using cumulative unique audiences watching 1 min of broadcast TV and 15 sec of BVOD.
  • Total TV National audience is calculated using the audience average for the program as time-coded by the Network across 5CM and all regional markets nationally watching on broadcast TV and BVOD.
  • BVOD national audience is calculated using the total number of minutes watched (including co-viewing) divided by the length of the program

Seven’s AFL 2024 Opening Round Sydney v Melbourne Match recorded a total TV national reach of 2,145,000 and a total TV national audience of 702,000.

The first season opener ever played in Sydney peaked at 977,000 viewers nationally, with the match averaging 702,000 viewers, up 10% compared to the 2023 AFL season average.
Yeah 700k average compared to 750k last year.

This may not age well depending on results but I think it’s a major own goal for the football heartland to potentially have the 4 Victorian competing round 0 clubs lose interstate this weekend.

The 0-2 debate gets a lot of traction on here. This could hurt the AFL later on if some major players aren’t contending cos they got off to a sloppy start. Could affect MCG attendances down the track.

I don’t see how last night was a sellout. There was empty seats everywhere all game. Unless there was 10k people in the stands at all points or a lot of people didn’t turn up, I don’t see how that was a sellout.

In Sydney for some reason a bunch of people just stand in the bar watching on the TV instead of sitting in their seats.

Just don’t get why they didn’t take advantage of the Monday public holiday in Melbourne. Could have ended the week with a Sunday night at the G and Labour Day game - which could’ve just been Carlton Richmond.

Bye weeks are vibe killers. Would much rather one weekend without football than have multiple rounds with split games. And now they’ve doubled down on that strategy. Just feels like a self own.
No one in Melbourne wants to go the footy this weekend with the weather forecast.

Who would you like to play in R1, that wouldn't be a big enough ask...WCE, Williamstown, Preston? Why would they be played into form? Look R0 is a bullshit concept and I hope we see the last of it but I reckon a team like the Richmond with an away game in QLD and a 5 day front up to R1 may have more reason to be pissed. I dont think the Pies or Blues have been done any favours with this draw either.
anyone who's also playing their first game of the season would be nice

Last year's round 24 game at the SCG with the same two teams managed 41,753, yet last night 'only' managed 40,012, so for whatever reason the hype of the 'Opening Round' must've fallen a little flat in the eyes of our NSW residents.
In fairness, the whole idea of this pseudo start to the season makes it feel like an extended pre-season.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the less footy focused Sydney types saw it that way too.

Warm weather, start of March, lack of buildup because over half the competition doesn't play - none of it really screams 'hype' does it? It feels like an exhibition event like the Charity Shield in the NRL.

Like others have said, there's normally a buzz the week that the footy starts.

You see the media coverage start to switch to winter programming, the vibe around the cities is different, all that sort of stuff that tells you that its footy season even if you don't follow the AFL/NRL.

In my experience, none of that's happened this year. Genuinely had to remind myself that there where 4 points on the line last night.

This is Gold Coast’s first ever sellout that’s not against Collingwood or the 2011 opening game I believe.

That in itself is a massive win for the AFL and if we can get our act together this year and win some games early on especially, the momentum created from opening round could be gigantic for the Suns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is Gold Coast’s first ever sellout that’s not against Collingwood or the 2011 opening game I believe.

That in itself is a massive win for the AFL and if we can get our act together this year and win some games early on especially, the momentum created from opening round could be gigantic for the Suns.
Is it a "sell out" the same way the Sydney game was supposed to be sold out even though if you look at all the empty seats it looked almost half empty.

Such a weird concept to kill the buy in of half the competitions supporters by saying “nah, you guys can wait another week before you get to see your team play”.

I honestly don’t know how it got voted through as a good idea.
It was probably suggested (or imposed) by their masters at Channel 7, the same people who think BT and Basil are good commentators.

And why have Opening Round and then Round 1? Just call it Round 1 you * heads.

Laugh at last years "NRL have magic round in Brisbane but AFL weren't smart enough to capitalise by having games in NSW" posters now saying "why should the Northern states get an early start" despite most of the rest of the grounds being unavailable, crowds being great and the opportunity to make our great code even more obviously the #1 in the country.

You can't please all of the people any of the time.

After umpteen poor games between the Tigers and Blues boring the socks off neutrals, a change was well and truly overdue.

Excellent crowds. Kudos to the AFL.
Changing the opener? Great. Just put a different pair of teams first up. You don't have to do a weird semi-split round.

Is it a "sell out" the same way the Sydney game was supposed to be sold out even though if you look at all the empty seats it looked almost half empty.

It annoys me when people say this, especially footy fans that should know better.

It's no different to a marvel stadium sellout only getting 42k, afl clubs have members that buy a seasoned reserved seat for about $700, the majority don't show up to all games. In fact, in my 11 game membership, I only get to about 7 of those games each year.

Just because s**t sports with no members that barely ever get sellouts themselves have every seat full (in their once a year sellout game) doesn't mean afl games do with the reserved seat ticketed members pouring millions into the clubs each year.

Is every seat in the stadium paid for and sold - yes! That's a sellout.

I do agree the AFL need a mandated buy back scheme that actually works though. It's locking people out that would like to go.

No issues with the round.

Just that to ensure all is well, they should have opening round teams play each other in round 1. Could even do round 2 as well. Byes should have been handled better too.

I don't mind the labour day idea for a victoria game though. As long as the two clubs are fine with a Sunday next round.

Feels like last night will save the concept. AFL just had Friday night & Thursday night the wrong way around. Seems you just always have to start with Carlton, no matter where it is or who it is against….

Remove this Banner Ad

Back