Roast Has Opening Round been totally botched?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd stagger the first round across 2 weeks.

Bottom 10 play the first weekend, top 8 play the following weekend.

Gives top 8 teams an extra week of preseason. Bottom 10 get the (perceived) advantage of playing the first week. Every team gets their first game in prime time.

Yep. Totally botched.

It was as boring as all heck, and it has further compromised an already-compromised draw by giving each of the eight sides that played a significant advantage over the other ten.

No-one in the media has really drawn attention to this. But, if they were going to do something like this, then West Coast and Fremantle should have played (to give them an extra week to help with all the travel they do in surplus to everyone else). Additionally, if Collingwood, Melbourne and Richmond played, then Essendon should have played as well - given they're the four sides with the short Anzac Day weeks.

It was scheduled in the wrong week; with a stupid name; without a Sunday game; featured a SCG night match to kick it all off (which is often a low scoring grind); and it has given certain teams a clear edge over the others. It's not surprising on here that the GWS and Sydney fans are about the only ones enjoying it. That says a lot in itself.

The concept to grow the game up North makes sense, but that’s where the positives end for me.

Apart from Finals, the opening round is the most eagerly anticipated group of matches every season. To think it needs some cheap, marketing gimmick is beyond a joke.

Hell, delay the season by a week, or even two, just keep it simple and commence the competition the right way.

Celebrating a crowd of 20,000 is Rugby League thinking.

I know right! getting a crowd of 22,086 people at a 22,500 capacity venue is pathetic bush league stuff, if they could break all fundamental laws of physics and/or violate every fire safety regulation known to man and squeezed 50k in there, then and only then would I be remotely impressed. Until then they can talk to the hand ✋

I know right! getting a crowd of 22,086 people at a 22,500 capacity venue is pathetic bush league stuff, if they could break all fundamental laws of physics and/or violate every fire safety regulation known to man and squeezed 50k in there, then and only then would I be remotely impressed. Until then they can talk to the hand ✋

Which bit of what I said is wrong? Even the Roos get mocked when their crowds are that low.

BTW which ground only holds 22.5k?

Didnt Tassie need to have 30k+ for their licence ?

Which bit of what I said is wrong? Even the Roos get mocked when their crowds are that low.

BTW which ground only holds 22.5k?

Didnt Tassie need to have 30k+ for their licence ?
??? Should we mock every Hawthorn Tasmanian crowd then? They’ve never drawn more than 22,086 in Tasmania?

??? Should we mock every Hawthorn Tasmanian crowd then? They’ve never drawn more than 22,086 in Tasmania?

You must be new. Hawthorn crowds in Tassie are mocked all the time. Literally all the time.

People mock our average. Response is its cos of Tassie. People mock Tassie.

Etc. Etc.

Most non Tassie Hawk supporters wouldnt be too fussed if we left Tassie.

I suspect Roo supporters are similar.

I dont/didn't like it.

Seems stupid we open round 1 with Richmond Carlton 5 days after we've already played and before some clubs have played their first game.

This week just didn't feel like the start of the season because not everyone has played, and the fixture is already uneven.

I bet a lot of people attended and watched though (as they do every year) and so the AFL and media will ram it down our throats how great it was and how we all loved it.

I dont/didn't like it.

Seems stupid we open round 1 with Richmond Carlton 5 days after we've already played and before some clubs have played their first game.

This week just didn't feel like the start of the season because not everyone has played, and the fixture is already uneven.

I bet a lot of people attended and watched though (as they do every year) and so the AFL and media will ram it down our throats how great it was and how we all loved it.
This awful weather VIC and SA at moment would have meant this week played those states underwhelming

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to see big crowds for the GC and GWS games.

REALLY should have been a game on today - reckon that was a huge miss.

Also don’t like that my team plays their first game against someone who’s already had a proper run - the 8 round 0 teams should be playing each other in round 1. But hey, that would be more fair and who needs that?

Yo eastern staters WA teams will play at some stage this year lol most likely get flogged but we might play a game

this opening round is fantastic ...so good only have to wait 2 rounds to watch WA teams play on a sunday

thanks AFL

Great to see big crowds for the GC and GWS games.

REALLY should have been a game on today - reckon that was a huge miss.

Also don’t like that my team plays their first game against someone who’s already had a proper run - the 8 round 0 teams should be playing each other in round 1. But hey, that would be more fair and who needs that?
Yo bro just here to make up the numbers ...get with the program

It feels as though it's pre season still or even has that neutral finals feel of... meh. Really fizzles the anticipation for the new season.

To top it off the majority are in prime time slots 2 weeks in a row. Also lols that Carlton may be on 8 points before the rest of the competition has even played.

So this week we have four "pre Round 1" games, all being held in Sydney and Brisbane.

Going back to the first mentions of "Opening Round", it was all about taking advantage of the NRL being in Las Vegas to open their season. So the AFL would strike with four big games in their heartland.

Sounds reasonably logical.

However, Vegas was last weekend, and this week we have NRL Round 1 games in Sydney, Brisbane and Gold Coast.

Is this as simple as... the AFL got the dates wrong?

Surely it should have been last weekend?
Only one NRL game was played in Sydney over the weekend which drew a crowd of 29k. Swans had 40k. Giants 21k.

In Brisbane, NRL had 32k while the AFL had 33k. Gold Coast NRL had 14k while the AFL 22k.

AFL got the dates right it was a success. Maybe the issue for those south of the border is that the northern states have to compete with the NRL. Shying away from the competition proves nothing.

It's a bit perverse that by next Sat morn 4 teams will have played twice, while still 10 will have played nout. Of course the assymetry will self correct over time but it's still odd.

I wonder if the churches and brothels did more business today than on a normal footy Sunday? Were there more bonding activities at home instead of one parent being preoccupied by a bag of air? Was more grass cut? Were the rotting leaves removed from guttering? Was homework done more thoroughly? Were there less house robberies?

Only one NRL game was played in Sydney over the weekend which drew a crowd of 29k. Swans had 40k. Giants 21k.

In Brisbane, NRL had 32k while the AFL had 33k. Gold Coast NRL had 14k while the AFL 22k.

AFL got the dates right it was a success. Maybe the issue for those south of the border is that the northern states have to compete with the NRL. Shying away from the competition proves nothing.

They could and should have had all the games on this weekend. Would have had an even bigger impact.

No Sunday footy has been the Week 1 finals schedule for almost a decade now and people come to accept it.

It's never going to be a split Round 1 because for Opening Round to be a success you needed travelling Melbourne fans from the big clubs to help the stadium sell out, but we also need the big crowds with big Melbourne teams to heightened the big crowds in Melbourne. For example, Carlton/Richmond crowds were 50-60k but can be 70-80k for their traditional Thursday slot. So a split round means they can do one or the other, but not both

Teams playing two games before others come first isn't a problem in itself, but the slight imbalanced fixturing can be an issue.

This issue is giving some teams the bye as late as round 6. It's very ridiculous that half the league gets only one bye among 23 total rounds, accumulated fatigue and injuries, more time for the footy department staff to plan ahead with opponents etc. Some teams might even have to rotate players and give them a week off, especially if they're bruised veterans. Whereas some teams play 6 games, get a break, and get their bye among only 17 games. If I were a player putting my body on the line every week I know which I'd prefer. Arguably they should have split R2-3 and played only 7 games in each round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back