Has Ryder Stolen NickNat's Thunder?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jukes

Team Captain
Jul 4, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
After a great performance in the ruck yesterday, a lot of the media are saying how Ryder could redefine the role of the ruckman to one that is purely athletic and ferocious on the ball (on the back of 13 tackles).

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't these the attributes that make NickNat an exciting proposition? For those who have seen him in the WAFL, is this the sort of game we can expect from him?

I guess the point is, we can be comforted by the fact there's definately a place in the AFL for a ruckman such as Naitanui.

Ive always thought that Ryder would be an awesome ruckman. Everytime he has played in the ruck he wins the tapout most of the time and more importantly his hitout to advantage is amazing.

It makes the debut and career of Natinui all the more exciting. Nat has about 6 cms on Ryder, can jump higher and has a bigger frame.

I don't know what it is about Ryder, but I don't think he has enough mongrel in him to the point where I wonder if he'll ever make the grade as a top level footballer. I remember during the game yesterday the commentators kept saying that the Collingwood boys should be trying to rough him up at every opportunity, get stuck into him and put him off his game, and wondering if it's as easy as that with him. I'm probably wrong, maybe he just looks like a choirboy, but I'd be lying if I hadn't wondered whether Naita was similar, personality-wise. I think that it's because of their exceptional athletic ability that people feel this is the easiest way to get an advantage over them.

By all reports (from some of you guys) NN does have that mongrel in him, but I want to see it for myself. I'm hoping that when he plays for us he doesn't let the opposition walk all over him; hell, I hope he doesn't even simply ignore them, I want to see him putting the odd face in a pile of dirt, engaging in a bit of push and shove or even the odd cheap shot. He's going to attract a lot of attention from guys trying to put him off his game and diminish his athletic advantage, so it's going to be crucial for him to have that element to his game/personality if he's going to succeed.

I don't know what it is about Ryder, but I don't think he has enough mongrel in him to the point where I wonder if he'll ever make the grade as a top level footballer. I remember during the game yesterday the commentators kept saying that the Collingwood boys should be trying to rough him up at every opportunity, get stuck into him and put him off his game, and wondering if it's as easy as that with him.

I think that the commentators wanted the Collingwood players to rough him up because he was Essendon's only real ruckman choice and if they wore him down then Fraser could dominate from there.

I'm not sure though.

No need to doubt the mongrel in Naitanui though. :p

I think that the commentators wanted the Collingwood players to rough him up because he was Essendon's only real ruckman choice and if they wore him down then Fraser could dominate from there.

I'm not sure though.

No need to doubt the mongrel in Naitanui though. :p
Yeah, that was certainly a large part of it, but they were making it sound like it was the easiest thing in the world to do, and it really shouldn't be.

NickNat will have an extreme physical presence, he has the physical potential to be the strongest player in the AFL. Plus he has speed, aggression and a love of the contest. Ryder may end up playing a similar game as him, but NickNat will take it to the next level, physically at least.

Ryder was lucky he was playing Collingwood. He's too short to be a genuine ruck option

Exactly, but kudos to Ryder, played a great game and deserved the ANZAC day medal.

Where he will struggle is playing week in week out against bigger opponents who will smash him body on body. NickNat is now 103kg's and 203cm, 1 kg and 1cm shorter than Cox. NickNat is equiped physically to play against the bigger bidies but will also outjump Ryder and the Frazers.

If I could get one ex WA player from interstate right now it would be Ryder, play him off a HFF and he would kill it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Naitanui needs a dose of Damian Monkhorst. He should become the biggest, meanest and most agro c... around. With his size and speed, opposition players will shit themselves knowing he's bearing down on them or is going to run Troy Wilson style through them. The opposition need to fear him.

Just think.. Naita will do that every game, Ryder is going to have a quiet 6 weeks now and mabye one more stand out performance.

Id also love to see how well Ryder/Hille would do vs Cox/Naita in the future... massive battle.

going to run Troy Wilson style through them. The opposition need to fear him.

Ive always wondered why people dont do this more often... so many times you will see a bloke chasing the ball behind an opp player, the opp player picks the ball up then slows down and side steps our bloke. Why wouldnt you just go straight for the man with your eyes on the ball (for the umpires) then when he picks it up you can drill him or at least make contact rather than being feinted with the ball allowing your bloke to side step you and run off.

cant remember the article but after the weekend ryders style was likened to the great stephen michael who was fantastic in the ruck and at ground level. naita has also been mentioned in the same sentence as the great man in terms of potential playing style. there is absolutely no doubt on the mongrel though he doesnt seem like the reckless type, but he definately doesnt take any sh**. seen him rough up hurley and lets his opposition know whos boss after some often very heavy tackles

ryders always been good. back at east freo before he was drafted he was a gun along side his team mates clark, kennedy, etc and hence i remember hoping we managed to bring him back to perth via a trade.

time will tell how good nat will be but essendon have a very good ruckman/KPP up their sleeves. and to also think they also got gumbleton....

After a great performance in the ruck yesterday, a lot of the media are saying how Ryder could redefine the role of the ruckman to one that is purely athletic and ferocious on the ball (on the back of 13 tackles).

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't these the attributes that make NickNat an exciting proposition? For those who have seen him in the WAFL, is this the sort of game we can expect from him?

I guess the point is, we can be comforted by the fact there's definately a place in the AFL for a ruckman such as Naitanui.
Ryder is ferocious? :confused:

Ryder jumped early against Carlton's fourth or fifth string ruckman in Jacobs and took his eyes off the ball in a contest with a taller and heavier opponent.

Didn't have much impact as a forward against North in round four.

There's a place for Naitanui because Kreuzer is having a great second season and following up his hitouts.
Ryder was lucky he was playing Collingwood. He's too short to be a genuine ruck option
:thumbsu:

Ryder was terrific as the lone ruckman, but he was lucky to get Fraser who isn't a physical ruckman

Jolly would have smashed Ryder.

Naitanui will smash Ryder and jump all over him.

I'd back Hampson and Warnock against Ryder before we throw Kreuzer at him. Ryder was jumping early against our rookie listed ruck Sam Jacobs who is a pure, but old fashioned ruckman.

In the BigFooty spirit of mixing sacrilege with talk about rookies:

Ryder is John the Baptist to Naita's Jesus; not fit to tie his shoe-laces, but preparing people for what is coming.

Looks like we need to bring in Naita sooner rather than later. Those bell-ends on the Carlton board reckon Coxy is a poor mans Kreuzer. :rolleyes:

Looks like we need to bring in Naita sooner rather than later. Those bell-ends on the Carlton board reckon Coxy is a poor mans Kreuzer. :rolleyes:

Did you mention to them how their coach said if he had the choice of Naita and Kreuzer during the draft he would of picked Naita... Luckily for us he wasent born premature and missed the draft by a month or two.

Did you mention to them how their coach said if he had the choice of Naita and Kreuzer during the draft he would of picked Naita... Luckily for us he wasent born premature and missed the draft by a month or two.

Nah i didnt bother posting anything. Just had a quiet chuckle to myself.

Yeah i remember that being said. I must say though Kruezer has been very good thus far. Hopefully this will be reflected with Naita.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back