News Hawk for life, Luke Breust. Signs to 2024. Kicks 500 goals!

Remove this Banner Ad

Aside from now being top 10 all time for goals from a non key forward AND top 10 all time for assists (from anybody; since the stat was kept)..

I thought this stat might be interesting:

Seasons with 30+ goals (AFL era):

L. Breust 11 (soon to be 12)
E. Betts 9
S. Milne 9
B. Johnson 9
J. Farmer 9
S. Johnson 8
B. Harvey 8

I was going to close with a comment about 'elite company' but for this stat (goalkicking consistency) it appears he has no company. He's out in front all on his own.

Aside from now being top 10 all time for goals from a non key forward AND top 10 all time for assists (from anybody; since the stat was kept)..

E. Betts 9
S. Milne 9
B. Johnson 9
J. Farmer 9
S. Johnson 8
B. Harvey 8

I was going to close with a comment about 'elite company' but for this stat (goalkicking consistency) it appears he has no company. He's out in front all on his own.

Looking at both lists (Haw goal kickers and bags of 30+/season), that's amazing company he is keeping. What an effort, and a career (with more to go!)

The only thing missing is a list of how many kittens died (by year) as he wasn't traded.

E. Betts 9
S. Milne 9
B. Johnson 9
J. Farmer 9
S. Johnson 8
B. Harvey 8

I've always said this. His level of consistency is far and above any other small forward, his only season under 30 goals was 2020 which doesn't count anyway.

He's also gotten closer than any other player to what I'd consider the perfect season for a modern small forward, 50 goals and 100 tackles. He finished 2018 with 54 goals and 99 tackles. So close.

I've always said this. His level of consistency is far and above any other small forward, his only season under 30 goals was 2020 which doesn't count anyway.

He's also gotten closer than any other player to what I'd consider the perfect season for a modern small forward, 50 goals and 100 tackles. He finished 2018 with 54 goals and 99 tackles. So close.

He's given that combo a nudge a few times...

2012 - 45 goals and 113 tackles
2015 - 52 goals and 96 tackles
2014 - 57 goals and 85 tackles

I think the last of those is arguably the most impressive given he also had 30 goal assists that year (2nd in the comp) and 31 the year before (1st in the comp) which to my mind is the other "most important stat" for a small forward.

I think the last of those is arguable the most impressive given he also had 30 goal assists that year (2nd in the comp) and 31 the year before (1st in the comp) which to my mind is the other "most important stat" for a small forward.
He is ******* elite. Sorry to use that word but its bloody genuine

I think the last of those is arguably the most impressive given he also had 30 goal assists that year (2nd in the comp) and 31 the year before (1st in the comp) which to my mind is the other "most important stat" for a small forward.
If we use Champion Data's player ratings as another way to judge, his 2014 season (15.37) is on record as the third highest rated season for a small forward all time - behind only Cyril in 2012 (16.8) and 2016 (15.48).

If we use Champion Data's player ratings as another way to judge, his 2014 season (15.37) is on record as the third highest rated season for a small forward all time - behind only Cyril in 2012 (16.8) and 2016 (15.48).
Cyril... :(. Come back sizzle the hawthorn faithful love you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Across the 2015 and 2014 season he kicked 109.31, 78% accuracy which is just stupidly good.

AT his peak he was good for 15 disposals, 2 goals, goal assist, 4 tackles and 2 clearances a game. Just monster stats

The way he was playing earlier in the season had me worried. Perhaps he'd been carrying something or maybe it was as simple as just needing a key forward to draw the ball to a predictable spot. Either way, I'm disappointed I doubted his ability to continue to produce what he has the past few weeks. Absolute star.

The way he was playing earlier in the season had me worried. Perhaps he'd been carrying something or maybe it was as simple as just needing a key forward to draw the ball to a predictable spot. Either way, I'm disappointed I doubted his ability to continue to produce what he has the past few weeks. Absolute star.
Must admit I am another that was worried that he had lost more than just a yard of pace. His timing, his balance, poise, it was all over the shop. I thought it was over.

but like the champ he has started to deliver consistently once again. Let’s hope it continues well into next year as we don’t want him struggling to keep his position in the line up

you are champ Luke. And a bloody good decent human being to boot.

Not gonna lie, I might have teared up a lil ...

Love this s**t. Football can do some good things when it tries.

You're not the only one. You're not wrong football brings a lot of ppl joy. It can unite us all

Last edited:
The best Luke Bruest moment I can remember was a night game in Sydney, game was in the balance, he was isolated in the entire forward line one on one and took a ripping high chest mark at full tilt with the defender stuck to him like glue and calmly slotted through his set shot. Does anyone else remember that? 2015 or 2014 maybe.... still get goosebumps thinking about it, footy of the highest quality

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

The best Luke Bruest moment I can remember was a night game in Sydney, game was in the balance, he was isolated in the entire forward line one on one and took a ripping high chest mark at full tilt with the defender stuck to him like glue and calmly slotted through his set shot. Does anyone else remember that? 2015 or 2014 maybe.... still get goosebumps thinking about it, footy of the highest quality

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep, great pick up. İt was 2015 when we hit fifth gear playing swans and Freo back to back and creamed both! There were actually two defenders that he took the mark high off the ground and looked to be landing awkwardly but got up and slotted it through.man, those were the days .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back