Autopsy Hawks vs Buddy Boy and the COLA kids

Remove this Banner Ad

A few random thoughts:

1. The $wans "amazing" forward line: if you take Buddy out, they are average. It's just that when they play their usual boring, defensive lockdown game, they don't need many goals to win. Stop Buddy and they are in trouble.

2. We had enough of the play in the second half to turn them over good and proper. We really controlled the game completely for the last quarter and a half. But, I think it's better that we won by a small margin. It leaves a little in reserve for next time.

3. Poppy: he's got the skills to be a good midfielder, but he's damn good at being a pest! There are a few $wans defenders who had to change their underwear after the game.

4. I love the sight of Longmire going off in the box. Almost as funny as the Scott lunatics.

There's lots more to do this year, but one more step on the way.

Longmire wasn't happy was he? You could see him asking for 9.8% greater effort.

Our running through packs or with one hawk (usually birch) drawing three syds then feeding it out unpredictably looked a little 'new'.
Anyone think the situation on the ladder is causing us to reveal tactics too early ?

Thers real ladder pressure at the top this year, the triumphant team might be the one which holds its nerve, holds beck on tactics and rests players as appropriate ( though not beofre a bye, thats ridiculous freo

Great to see the Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis trio combining well throughout the match. The bigger bodies certainly helped us around the stoppages and it showed as the game went on it was always going to swing in our favour.

Huge win.

Poppy for the best goal of the night.

I bought an Elmo Hawks hoodie for my grandson this week. I have converted him to a Hawk now..lol He's only three...my granddaughter has a Hawk top too now..in fact my three grandchildren are now converted... image.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry friend but Gibson disagrees with you on this:.... point!...Clearly cost us top of the ladder position:mad:
Just as I said earlier worse decision I've ever seen were the field umpire overrules the goal umpire after clearly saying it was touched..

The key and only point that matters in the end is that the AFL actually allow there to be a review system in place without high resolution camera capable of crystal clear slow motion. If you don't have the appropriate tools to manage something appropriately, don't implement it. It's an absolute indictment on the league as a professional business that it is being used in it's current form.

Huge effort. Everyone did their bit.

Hodge was massive I thought, great to see Gibbo and his golden fist back, Roughy great 200th and as for that Mitchell guy.... Champ. NO. Legend!

Schoey after a poor first half and getting the crowds disapproval responded amazingly. Beat Tippett easily in the second half

Oh and as for those green arse clowns, I suggest using your sponsorship deal and go get some glasses..... Pathetic

Interesting that the role players in our side Simpkin and Langford aren't in our best lineup, compared to the Rioli's Sewells etc but for the roles that they play it almost makes them locks. Simpkin did a number on Malceski who has caused us Hawk fans nightmares over the years and is the main source of Sydney's run from the backline. Couldn't make out who Langford had a piece off....Jetta?

Baiscally what I'm saying is that our best team doesn't necessarily mean its all about having our best players. It doesn't take into account team dynamics pace, the negating opposition players/strengths etc.

Robert Murphy too on 360 was banging on about how he's never seen a side like Sydney during his career. WTF is he talking about! Seriously.
Also do people really think a Tippet & Franklin forward line is/was more potent than Franklin & Roughead. Tippett can play, but i'd take Roughead any day - as i'm sure 95% of others would too
Can't compare tippet with rough. The only thing going for tippet is he is huge and can take a strong mark and is a good kick. Once the ball hits the ground it's all over. Terribly slow and clumsy. Roughy perhaps can't mark a strongly although he's pretty handy, but is impressively quick for a big bloke, can pick up the ball off the ground and has many tricks such as the turning dribblers. A FAR better player. No comparison.

Can't compare tippet with rough. The only thing going for tippet is he is huge and can take a strong mark and is a good kick. Once the ball hits the ground it's all over. Terribly slow and clumsy. Roughy perhaps can't mark a strongly although he's pretty handy, but is impressively quick for a big bloke, can pick up the ball off the ground and has many tricks such as the turning dribblers. A FAR better player. No comparison.

Good kick....hardly. He has great set of hands and is quite mobile for his size.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think in all probability it was touched, Gibbo's reaction was pretty emphatic and it certainly didn't look like he was putting it on. His tweet confirms that. But you're wrong about what occurred - if you watch the replay, the goal umpire definitely told the field umpire that his call was a goal. He wasn't overruled, and his decision stood due to the inconclusive vision.
Although the decision stayed I've seen on a few occasions where the inconclusive review resulted in the decision being called against us.

Yeh I love the 'if buddy had of kicked straight......' Shit

IF BUDDY HAD OF KICKED STRAIGHT WE WOULD OF WON THE 2012 GRAND FINAL!

Yeah and who would definitely have the tag of the most successful modern day team.....They are so fos aren't they.

How can they not see the stupidity of their hypocrisy. Armchair ******* experts.

Although the decision stayed I've seen on a few occasions where the inconclusive review resulted in the decision being called against us.

Whether the original decision is upheld or overturned you can bet your bottom dollar that the decision will go against us (now where did I put that tin hat... )

So the wrong call was made initially and after a review they still made the wrong call. F....ing hopless system. More umpires than the game has ever seen and they still can't make a correct decision between them.

I thought he got a legal handball away after being tackled to the ground

Definitely impeded illegally. Tripped by the right ankle firstly and then the tackle slipped low anyway. How it was play on I don't know!!!!

Check the slow mo replay.

Definitely impeded illegally. Tripped by the right ankle firstly and then the tackle slipped low anyway. How it was play on I don't know!!!!

Check the slow mo replay.

The tackle was fine - thighs, I think it was because he was still able to get the handball away that it was the correct call

At the time I also wondered if it was a bit of payback for the missed gut punch to gunston.

Who knows what goes through an umps mind

Credit to Schoey for the way he played last night. Tippett looked like he might dominate early but Schoey really kept him honest. Also prevented quite a few certain goals with his composure and goal line spoiling.

Credit to Schoey for the way he played last night. Tippett looked like he might dominate early but Schoey really kept him honest. Also prevented quite a few certain goals with his composure and goal line spoiling.

It's a confidence thing with shoey - needs to make the ball his objective rather than fixating on his opponent

On SEN this morning I couldn't believe someone in the media actually gave us some credit and suggested if we played off in September against Sydney it would be hard to pick a winner. I thought, wow, a media flog is actually giving us the kudos to be in the same universe as the greatest team of all time?

Thankfully he saved himself by remembering at the last minute the 'x factor' to still come in - Dan Hannebury.

Just had to laugh, coz apart from him, both teams were obviously at full strength. Serves me right for listening to the trash station, but at least it gives me some sort of footy fix.

Last edited:
So the wrong call was made initially and after a review they still made the wrong call. F....ing hopless system. More umpires than the game has ever seen and they still can't make a correct decision between them.

That's it. Surely the very reason I system like that is in place - bit like DRS - is to ensure the correct is made. With all those 'eyes', technology and systems in place they actually upheld the original incorrect call. It would appear to me, that it all hinges on some wording of 'conclusive'. And in turn the person who then makes a call on what is 'conclusive' or not. If the system can't pick-up a ball being touched from 15 metres out directly in front, and at the G mind you, it's totally stuffed.

It's a farce. Yet again more half-arsed implementation from the AFL. And with this seeming 'no criticism' of the umpires being entertained in the media, stuff like this doesn't come under enough scrutiny.

Yep. I thought he fought on really well. Did some good spoils. Attacked the ball and lead Tippet to it on numerous occasions. Did his job.

Interestingly, I thought Gibbo's lack of match 'poise' was a factor in the first half, seemed to really regain his touch as the match went on too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back