News Hawthorn premiership ruckman Max Bailey details his 2014 season, which saw his AFL career finish wit

Remove this Banner Ad

M
AX Bailey had feared his career was over so often that when the time did come it took him completely by surprise.

There was the day in 2008, playing for Box Hill, when his right knee crumpled a second time playing for Box Hill, and he feared he couldn’t go through another long year of rehabilitation.

Then, in Round 22, 2009, as Matthew Lloyd dramatically ironed out Bailey’s Hawthorn teammate Brad Sewell, Bailey’s “good” left knee went a third time and he thought he surely would be delisted this time.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ha...nish-with-a-flag/story-fndv8os9-1226861379814

Good to see we've already got the 2014 premiership in the bag. Don't think i'll bother watching the games now. Though it is good to hear that Max is going around again ;)

It's funny, when he was out injured (I think it was for the two weeks in a row) he was a guest commentator on the VFL TV coverage and I thought he did quite a good job and I remember it occurring to me then that this might be his last season, he would have known then that this was the case. All the best to him, would love to see him back at the Hawks in some capacity one day, would be a very inspiring guy to have around the club.

Great article, thanks.

I have so much love for Big Max. I will really miss him - I think Hawthorn were "cheated" out of a fantastic ruckman by the Footy Gods, but I'm so pleased his career ended the way it did. :)

A quality person that Hawthorn people have universal love for.
He invested so much time and effort riding the bumps and trying to get back to playing, I feel like we as Hawthorn people did the same hoping he was rewarded for his efforts.
I remember thinking how nuts I would go watching him run through the banner for his 50th game as no one deserved it more, sadly he didn't quite make it.
Getting to watch him have his Premiership medal presented to him was as good as it got.
In fitting Maxy style even that had a hurdle as the young fella dropped it as he was trying to put it around the big mans neck, so Max had to pick it up and put it on himself.

Great article, thanks.

I have so much love for Big Max. I will really miss him - I think Hawthorn were "cheated" out of a fantastic ruckman by the Footy Gods, but I'm so pleased his career ended the way it did. :)

I'll never forget the look on big Maxy's face as he walked past us on the victory lap after the Grand Final. With a glint of a tear in his eye, it was a look of pure satisfaction, like as if all his troubles in life had been washed away by the wave of ultimate success. It is etched into my mind and will always be a special moment attached to that wonderful day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back