Universal Love Ben McEvoy announces retirement - celebrate his career in here.

Remove this Banner Ad

scooby doo walk GIF

You'll be sorely missed, Captain.
Glad you got to 250 and a win to boot.
Let's get him two more to finish off with

Last edited:
Massive loss and huge shoes for a new captain to fill as we continue our rebuild.

Congratulations on a stellar career with HFC - you have been a true warrior.

All the best on the next chapter of life’s journey

We have been blessed to have BigBoy in our colors. Not only did he straighten us up on field, but when we were crying out for leadership he was there off it too.

Been an excellent player for us. Maybe the only senior player from our premiership sides who seemed to improve after the premierships dried up. I reckon he played his best footy for us in the years that followed.

Probably should have been made captain a couple years earlier instead of Stratton but been a very good leader. Shame his last season has been trashed with injury. Hope we get a final win for him.

I’m personally disappointed as I think he is still in our best 22, but if anyone deserves to go out on his own terms, it’s Ben.

I really liked his 2014 Grand Final game, (I actually thought he was lucky to be picked ahead of Ceglar), but he stood up in the first half when it counted most. His performance in the 2015 Preliminary Final was also a standout. Big Boy’s not exactly fast but he just kept running that whole game. His defensive efforts in the fourth quarter when Fremantle were surging will not be forgotten.

An elite contested mark and a real presence. Congratulations Big Boy on a great career!

Last edited:
True champion of the club. We have a storied history of ruckmen with more heart than god given talent and Big Boy firmly sits upon the shoulders of some great Hawthorn giants there.

Enjoy retirement captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel pretty emotional about this. His contribution over the years has been immense. He's been such a natural leader and mentor to our young team; still the standout leader amongst the group so others need to step up now. All the best, Ben and thank you - you will be missed!

Thanks Big Boy for all your effort and sacrifice. One of the lynch pins in a great team and led by example for old and new players alike. I remember being not to complementary towards you when you came across for which I apologise. Good luck in your future endeavours.

Never fully appreciated this guy till his 150th when we got absolutely belted by the Cats.

He went off in tears and then proceeded to go to another level as a player from then on like he’d sworn to himself he’d never let that happen to hawthorn again.

If that doesn’t say you’re a Hawk, I don’t know what does.

Thanks for the memories Big Boy.

So ******* glad you captained our club.

We've been blessed to have Luke Hodge & now Big Boy as captains in recent years. Big Boy has the character profile that epitomises everything a captain and leader should be at a football club.

There's a lot of developing talent on the list but the characteristics possessed by Hodge and Big Boy have been a different tier; the benchmark, for what a captain should look like.

I was there when Big Boy injured his kneck it was sickening yet innocuous incident. There was an eerie silence out there for about 10 minutes while they tended to him. I can only wonder at what was going through his mind lying there. As he gingerly got up and slowly made his way up the stairs at Waverley I wondered if I would see him on the footy field again. Some really dark times for big boy during his rehab and he has been a real inspiration to not only the team but to me personally. For him to get back on the field in itself shows real courage because I am sure I and if not me my wife would have stopped me from going out there again. There is more to life than football. I am glad he is able to go out on his terms walking off the ground. Cheers Big Boy Oh Captain my Captain :beercheers:

I was there when Big Boy injured his kneck it was sickening yet innocuous incident. There was an eerie silence out there for about 10 minutes while they tended to him. I can only wonder at what was going through his mind lying there. As he gingerly got up and slowly made his way up the stairs at Waverley I wondered if I would see him on the footy field again. Some really dark times for big boy during his rehab and he has been a real inspiration to not only the team but to me personally. For him to get back on the field in itself shows real courage because I am sure I and if not me my wife would have stopped me from going out there again. There is more to life than football. I am glad he is able to go out on his terms walking off the ground. Cheers Big Boy Oh Captain my Captain :beercheers:

One of those really good moments when a sickening injury meets the good fortune of being attended to by a high level sporting organization (that loves him) which can give full attention and resources to healing one of it's own.
No doubt Big Boy would have got our best in his hardest of moments, just as he gave his best for the jumper.
A healthy future life is every bit what he deserves and earned.:beercheers:

Just glad he made a full (I hope) recovery from that neck injury. After nearly pulling the pin earlier, it's no surprise he's hanging up the boots.

He really left it all out on the field. You never got the sense he dropped his head, our pulled out of a contest, not once.

He has been the most important player at our club since Roughy left. He will be missed greatly.

What a bloody champion.

Thanks Ben. A true Hawk.

This is sad news, even though it was always a fair chance to happen.

A real father figure for the youngsters.

Farewell, Big Boy. You'll be sorely missed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back