Toast Liam Shiels Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully this is not another Hodge moment and is next year playing at North.

Rather than worry about whether he goes to another club and has a change of heart about retirement, why don't you just note your appreciation for the hard yards that he put in across a decade of AFL football at one of the most successful clubs in the competition over that period of time.

Massively underrated by many (how many commentators kept calling him by the name of the GWS/Essendon midfielder over the years?) but not by those that really knew the contributions Shiels made to the club over a consistent period of time. Triple premiership player and would have been one of the first ten or so players named on the teamsheet for each of them. Should end up in the Hawthorn Hall of Fame when all is said and done. You don't get to play 200+ games for a club like Hawthorn by being a muppet. Enjoy whatever the future holds, Pup.

Shiels has been underrated because the most remarkable thing about him was that he was entirely unremarkable.
Douglas Adams likes this post.

Liam has been such a solid citizen on and off the field. On field he has three premiership medallions - eminent proof of his playing worth and his consistency during a golden era for our club. He has also been a fine clubman and a player ambassador for such things as the HFC Foundation. No prima donna, Liam’s a good bloke and always up for a chat with a Hawk supporter.

Thank you, Pup. Farewell and enjoy your retirement!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I am not mistaken Shiels was the last ever player drafted as a 17 year old before the AFL changed the rule that you couldn't draft players in there under age year.

Was an astute pick up and I remember at the time draft experts saying he was going to be a top 5 pick if he had another year in under 18s.

Champion of the club. In a lesser team he could have been a bigger name. When he had his breakout season as an 18/19 year old averaging close to 24 touches I could see his ceiling being much higher than it was, but the team didn't need Shiels to be that guy. Our side needed defensive stability in the midfield with Sewell hanging up the boots and he filled that role and more.

If what Pup aspired to be was the best teammate possible than I think he has absolutely achieved it. An excellent clubman who sacrificed his own game to uplift those around him. Put his body on the line always.

Enjoy retirement Pup. Congrats on a wonderful career.

Congratulations Liam …hope your future is as bright as your footy career. Walking away with three premiership medals is more than most dream of. And you didn’t look out of place in the premiership teams full of champions.

In Shiels first few games I said to my friend, “How good is this guy‘s tackling“

Sheils never made the big bucks. He did not have the excessive talent.

But he did everything a coach would love for a role player.

Sam Mitchell would have been less without Shiels, Jordan Lewis as well.

Our 3 peat would not have happened without Shiels.

Liam Shiels steps out of football as he came into it… with little fanfare.

But those who know his contribution farewell one of the best team players the Hawks have ever had.

Thank you Liam. And good luck for your future endeavours

What a wonderful servant, massively underrated outside the club, the ultimate role player in our three peat midfield.

Tough too, tackled all day, hell of a runner.

You don't get your hands on 3 cups like Shiela did without a bunch of high level traits.

Rather than worry about whether he goes to another club and has a change of heart about retirement, why don't you just note your appreciation for the hard yards that he put in across a decade of AFL football at one of the most successful clubs in the competition over that period of time.
Because the phenomenon is happening more often now where a player "retires" instead of retiring. People are getting suspicious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back