Hawthorn Team of the Century - How many current players would/will be good enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Code:
Hawthorn Team of the Century[/B]

B:	Gary Ayres	          Kelvin Moore	       Bert Mills

HB:	Col Austen	             Chris Mew   	       Peter Knights

C:	Robert DiPierdomenico	 Jim Bohan	       Brendan Edwards

HF:	Graham Arthur (Captain)	Dermott Brereton	   Gary Buckenara

F:	Jason Dunstall	           Peter Hudson	     John Platten

Foll:	Don Scott                  Michael Tuck	Leigh Matthews

Int:	Chris Langford	Ian Law	Paul Salmon
Roy Simmonds		

Coach:	John Kennedy

Would be a tough team to crack, eh?

So who do you think, either at present or could be by the end of their career, will be good enough to make the team?

Buddy? Hodge? Mitchell? How about Crawf?

As hard as it is to suggest, who would they replace?!

Code:
[B]Hawthorn Team of the Century[/B]

B:    Gary Ayres              Kelvin Moore           Bert Mills

HB:    Col Austen                 Chris Mew              Peter Knights

C:    Robert DiPierdomenico     Jim Bohan           Brendan Edwards

HF:    Graham Arthur (Captain)    Dermott Brereton       Gary Buckenara

F:    Jason Dunstall               Peter Hudson         John Platten

Foll:    Don Scott                  Michael Tuck    Leigh Matthews

Int:    Chris Langford    Ian Law    Paul Salmon
Roy Simmonds        

Coach:    John Kennedy

Would be a tough team to crack, eh?

So who do you think, either at present or could be by the end of their career, will be good enough to make the team?

Buddy? Hodge? Mitchell? How about Crawf?

As hard as it is to suggest, who would they replace?!

Hmm without seeing all of them play accept the team of the 80's I would have to say based on what they have done Crawford & Hodge only. Mitchell is close but maybe a few more will be in there at the end of there career.... I hope. coz that would mean another premiership!

Out: Salmon In: Crawford
Crawf deserves to be in the team, played through one of the most frustrating Hawthorn era's. Captain, Brownlow, 300 Games, Premiership, All-Australian.

I would like to see Buddy and Hodge in the team, but hard to find a place. Gary Buckenara was a very good player, but I rate Buddy and Hodgey higher. Maybe line one of them up on the HFF in place of Bucky.

Off Topic - It is amazing when you realise the amount of players that were a part of the 80's era (over half the team).

B: Gary Ayres Kelvin Moore Bert Mills

HB: Col Austen Chris Mew Peter Knights

C: Robert DiPierdomenico Jim Bohan Brendan Edwards

HF: Graham Arthur (Captain) Dermott Brereton Gary Buckenara

F: Jason Dunstall Peter Hudson John Platten

Foll: Don Scott Michael Tuck Leigh Matthews

Int: Chris Langford Ian Law Paul Salmon
Roy Simmonds

Coach: John Kennedy

I think that Crawford, Buddy, Hodge and probably Rioli will all be in the team of the century. However, it will be a team of the next century (2000 - 2099), and by then, they may have been forgotten. What will be interesting will be if we put out a team in 2025, 100 years in the VFL.

Swap Jim Bohan (Centre) with John Platten (Forward Pocket).
Swap Jim Bohan (Forward Pocket) with Roy Simmonds (Interchange).
Swap Roy Simmonds (Forward Pocket) with Lance Franklin.

Swap Brendan Edwards with Shane Crawford?

EDIT: I'm all for the 2025 team, Bards. Didn't even think of that, and now I'm excited. :D

Crawf deserves to be in the team, played through one of the most frustrating Hawthorn era's. Captain, Brownlow, 300 Games, Premiership, All-Australian.

:thumbsu:

What a lot of younger Hawks fans may not realise is Brendan Edwards was the pioneer of Hawthorn's future success by setting benchmarks in fitness and professionalism. The Team of the Century goes much deeper than just pure football ability, there is much more to the Hawthorn story than that.

As to current players who could make our team of the century by 2025, certainly Hodge and probably Buddy. It would be hard for Roughy to forge a spot ahead of Brereton, etc. If the team was picked now, Crawford would definitely be in it.

I've never been fond of Teams of the Century. Hall of Fame is a far better concept.

What a lot of younger Hawks fans may not realise is Brendan Edwards was the pioneer of Hawthorn's future success by setting benchmarks in fitness and professionalism. The Team of the Century goes much deeper than just pure football ability, there is much more to the Hawthorn story than that.

As to current players who could make our team of the century by 2025, certainly Hodge and probably Buddy. It would be hard for Roughy to forge a spot ahead of Brereton, etc. If the team was picked now, Crawford would definitely be in it.

I've never been fond of Teams of the Century. Hall of Fame is a far better concept.

Disgree AH, Buddy has the potential, but he is the boy with the barrow at the moment - the job is in front of him.

He is one of, if not the most exciting players in the competition and I wouldn't swap him for a river of gold but let's keep things in perspective - he's done nothing to earn a TOC nomination in comparison to the blokes who are in there, and frankly still has much to do before he can be considered a 'champion' of the game.

2 or 3 more years of 2008 type domination (not so much goals kicked) will see him earn that mantle.

Very difficult to slot players in.

Posters should remember that these teams are based on position played so to put buddy in the team it would require the omission of either Hudson or Brereton.

From memory the bench criteria may have required 2nd ruck, 2nd rover, 1 fwd, 1 back- hence the bench isnt the next 4 best on ballers and the reason that the Big Fish was included as 2nd ruck.

As another poster has stated there is no way you could omit Brendan Edwards - that's like leaving out knights just because you didn't see him play.

Some younger poster should understand that those players of yesteryear included in the team are there because they dominated their position in such a way during their era that they were worthy enough to cause the exclusion of many other players of later years.

At this stage Id say Crawf is the only worthy omission and would replace Ian Law (rover for rover) due to the fact that since the TOC was chosen in early 2001 he has equaled Laws B&F tally (4), Captained the Club, surpassed the 300 game milestone and Played in the 2008 Premiership team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to see Buddy and Hodge in the team, but hard to find a place. Gary Buckenara was a very good player, but I rate Buddy and Hodgey higher. Maybe line one of them up on the HFF in place of Bucky.

I also love Buddy and Hodgey but still think Bucky has them both covered at this stage. The guy was class. I reckon he should have Brownlowed the year big Dip won.

Crawf should be in somewhere. He just has to be. Not sure who to replace though as all players pre-mid 70s are before my time.

Disgree AH, Buddy has the potential, but he is the boy with the barrow at the moment - the job is in front of him.

He is one of, if not the most exciting players in the competition and I wouldn't swap him for a river of gold but let's keep things in perspective - he's done nothing to earn a TOC nomination in comparison to the blokes who are in there, and frankly still has much to do before he can be considered a 'champion' of the game.

2 or 3 more years of 2008 type domination (not so much goals kicked) will see him earn that mantle.

Not sure what you're disagreeing with. The thread says which current players would/will be good enough, not "have already done enough".

Crawford Hodge Mitchell Sewell Rioli Franklin Roughead will all be in it.. cant believe some ppl have not even mentioned Roughy or Sewell :confused:

Have you only followed Hawthorn for a few years?

Current players?

Hodge could displace Austin
Franklin maybe push Simmons off the bench.

That'd be it.

Sammy or Sewell will never be better than the on ballers of Bohan, Edwards, Platten, Matthews, Bucky.
Rioli would have to do a lot do displace Crawf / Law / Bucky.
Rough will never get anywhere near Brereton, Hudson or Dunstall. Same probably goes for Franklin.

The following players are all tmers of Australian football and could never be displaced.
Gary Ayres Chris Mew Peter Knights Robert DiPierdomenico Jim Bohan Graham Arthur Dermott Brereton Gary Buckenara Jason Dunstall Peter Hudson John Platten Michael Tuck Leigh Matthews
We have the strongest TOTC of all clubs so it's a tough gig.

Have you only followed Hawthorn for a few years?

Unfortunately, the younger football supporters have grown into the game with marketing wizards convincing them the game has never been better, or footballers have never been more skilful .. which us people who have followed the game for 40 years know is pure rubbish. What has improved is technology and marketing.

It's a pity we didn't have today's film technology in bygone eras to show the contemporary football fan just how good these players were, and how hard it was to play the game back then.

Crawf to the bench and drop Salmon

Whilst I was always a fan of the fish as a player, he's Essenscum through and through and does not deserve a spot in our TOC.

if you disagree with this, then you are wrong.

Unfortunately, the younger football supporters have grown into the game with marketing wizards convincing them the game has never been better, or footballers have never been more skilful .. which us people who have followed the game for 40 years know is pure rubbish. What has improved is technology and marketing.

It's a pity we didn't have today's film technology in bygone eras to show the contemporary football fan just how good these players were, and how hard it was to play the game back then.

Part of what you say is correct.

However as decade after decades go by, the game evolves and players do get better. Players train harder and have better facilities to increase fitness. The draft camps also helps filter the elite players of each year.

But then again, you get champions like Gary Ablett, who are very unfit and poor at trianing. But have the skills to make up for it :)

as decade after decades go by, the game evolves and players do get better. Players train harder and have better facilities to increase fitness. The draft camps also helps filter the elite players of each year.

Unfortunately, the draft camps do nothing to increase skill levels. I don't care if you can run the 100 in 9 seconds, set knew records in the standing jump or bench presses, if you can't win a ball in a contest, mark a ball overhead or kick a goal from 20 metres out straight in front, you're not a footballer ... and I'm talking about player in the game today. No way is the contemporary footballer better skilled.

Right Now - None and yes that includes Crawf. (if he can't be swapped for Salmon)

While I absolutely agree the odd one out is Salmon (and believe there are plenty more appropriate candidates ahead of him) I understand the "picked for position" argument.

That team of the Century is packed full of superstars, a lot of which won a lot of flags....

In the future possible candidates are Buddy (though he has got an enormous task ahead of him trying to dislodge Brereton or Huddo) and Hodge - If and only IF he gets his body right, but he will also find it hard to dislodge one of the teams members.....

If a gun was next to the head right now, I'd pick Max Bailey to take Salmons position.

I think if you rank the team of the century players in order, Hudson would be near the top. Even in 100 years you could never replace him out of this team, as he was one of the best players in the history of the VFL.

Crawford not being picked in the original Team of the Century is a disgrace.

B Gary Ayres - Kelvin Moore - David Parkin
HB Col Austen - Chris Mew - Peter Knights
C Robert DiPierdomenico - Peter Crimmins - Shane Crawford
HF Graham Arthur - Dermott Brereton - Lance Franklin
F Peter Hudson - Jason Dunstall - Darren Jarman
R Don Scott - Michael Tuck - Leigh Matthews
Int Luke Hodge - Chris Langford - Russell Greene - John Platten

Based on reputation - hadn't heard of a few that were in there. Acouple of seasons more and Cyril will be in there for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back