Herbert Heylen (Bert) late 1930's early 1940's. any info , can you help ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 22, 2000
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hi Western Bulldogs/Footscray Fans.

I am trying to chase up some information on a former Sturt Footballer, that I am informed played for Footscray in the early 1940's. Any help from Footscray historians on any information or maybe even a photo of Bert ( Burt) would be amazingly appreciated, so much so that I would be happy to colourise a photo for you as a reward.

Kindest Regards
PA1870

AFL tables has no record of a Herbert Heylen playing for Footscray. A search indicates he enlisted late in WW2. Are you sure he wasn't with another VFL club?

Thanks Werewolf, He did serve in WW2, his Grandson told me he was involved with Footscray, albeit for a short period, maybe he had it wrong, I'll chase it up. Thank you so much for taking the time to chase this up.
Can you PM me please .

Thanks Werewolf, He did serve in WW2, his Grandson told me he was involved with Footscray, albeit for a short period, maybe he had it wrong, I'll chase it up. Thank you so much for taking the time to chase this up.
Can you PM me please .

Hey PA1870, he could have come over, trained, but only played seconds (reserves). Much the same as Dennis Cometti did in the early 70s, where media commentary became a priority over his playing career, after he came to Footscray from WA. I also knew someone many years ago who I believed played for Footscray, turned out he had an extensive thirds and reserves career, just never cracked it for a senior game. Best bet might be to try to contact the club directly, although doesn't seem to be a contact on the website for historical purposes. (I'm sure they have an official historian these days, just not sure how to contact that person.)
Another option might be past players (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/club/history/past-players-group ), but they probably focus on senior past players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back