Coach Do you still have any faith in Bevo? [POLL]

Do you still believe he should coach this side?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve made my feelings clear in multiple threads. Last night was pathetic and a decent chunk of the blame must sit with him.

He’s said himself that head coaches have a shelf life, and he’s past that now. The extension shouldn’t have been offered to him, baffling decision by the administration.

I’ve made my feelings clear in multiple threads. Last night was pathetic and a decent chunk of the blame must sit with him.

He’s said himself that head coaches have a shelf life, and he’s past that now. The extension shouldn’t have been offered to him, baffling decision by the administration.
Agree with this. What was the rush to extend him? If he threatened to leave to another club, so be it. We can't be held to ransom.
He's been out most successful coach but I can't remember a Dog's coach having quality cattle like he's had.
I would argue Terry Wallace with a lesser list did far more strategically than Bevo ever has.
Two more games to improve or cut the ties, pay the 6 months and move on.

Voted no but not because of this game. Feel like he gets it wrong at selection/whacky positional ideas so much that it's cost us a few AFL quality players and a few wins along the journey. The flipside of this is that it sometimes works. M.Boyd at hbf, B.Dale at Hbf etc.

I'd personally prefer a guy that plays a straighter bat with clear positional instructions. The versatility mantra hasn't worked at all.

From the outside looking in I think his motivational skills are wavering which was always his greatest asset as a coach.

Slightly worried about the extension prior to playing a game this year. On paper this list should have no issues making the 8 but I feel like it could be a struggle again.

We should go and headhunt Justin Leppitsch.

The game is changing right before our eyes and Bevo hasn't kept pace.

Last edited:

The game is changing right before eyes and Bevo hasn't kept pace.
Half a dozen people I’d take over Bevo right now, Lepp would be too 3 for me.

Haven’t had faith in Bevo since the 2021 GF

The game is changing right before eyes and Bevo hasn't kept pace.

Not sure we’d need to head hunt a previously failed AFL coach. I’m certain if we asked nicely, they’d jump at the chance.

14 win, 52 loss coaching record. A backwards step if I ever saw one.

Not sure we’d need to head hunt a previously failed AFL coach. I’m certain if we asked nicely, they’d jump at the chance.

14 win, 52 loss coaching record. A backwards step if I ever saw one.
Leppitsch is one of key architect in how Collingwood play and was heavily involved in the successful Richmond era.

The idea that you don't evolve/learn from your previous stints doesn't make much sense.

I'd roll the dice on a fresh coach like Gia

Also think Grant needs to move on. He is culpable for the footy department turning into Bevo's Yes-men and hiring spuds like Spangher.
Big believer on bringing people on who have been part of successful environments as a coach.

That's why I wasn't in favor in bringing in Lade. He has only been part of losing environments as a coach.

Sack him tomorrow and move on.

The players need a wake up call. We need something to snap them out of this years long experience of going through the motions and wilting when it gets tough.

Leppitsch is one of key architect in how Collingwood play and was heavily involved in the successful Richmond era.

The idea that you don't evolve/learn from your previous stints doesn't make much sense.

Plenty of really good assistants out there that will never make it as a senior coach. It takes more than tactical nous, if that’s what you’re suggesting Leppitsch has, with ability to have players full respect and have them buy in to your philosophies just as important. All the smarts in the world mean nothing if you’re not a very good people person and struggle with communication.

Not many coaches in recent years turn things around after an extremely poor first crack at it. Can’t think of any in fact. Dimma maybe, but was just given more time at the same club. Will Leppa buck the trend?

Early assistant career Bevo, Clarko, Simpson, McRae, Goodwin, Longmuir. These are the types we should be chasing. Not second chance Lepppitsch, Ratten, Voss, Bolton, Scott types.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big believer on bringing people on who have been part of successful environments as a coach.

That's why I wasn't in favor in bringing in Lade. He has only been part of losing environments as a coach.
Tripe. He is highly respected. He played in a flag side, sides he was coaching at made the finals and he was part of the Richmond team when they were building towards being a powerhouse. You wouldn't have a clue how good he is.

Tripe. He is highly respected. He played in a flag side, sides he was coaching at made the finals and he was part of the Richmond team when they were building towards being a powerhouse. You wouldn't have a clue how good he is.

It was only after he left Richmond post the 2016 season that they became successful. That's just a fact.

Same goes for his time at Port Adelaide. Left after the 2019 season. They started winning and making prelims.

Failure has followed him everywhere he has gone.

It was only after he left Richmond post the 2016 season that they became successful. That's just a fact.

Same goes for his time at Port Adelaide. Left after the 2019 season. They started winning and making prelims.

Failure has followed him everywhere he has gone.
You think the Richmond side that won 3 flags wasn't built prior to 2017? That's cute.

You think the Richmond side that won 3 flags wasn't built prior to 2017? That's cute.
List was built before the 2016 season.

However a massive change in culture & game style after they got rid of the coaching staff and hired Justin Leppitsch & Craig Macrae.

I voted yes because our list is only about 75% as good as what most misguided punters on here make it out to be.
You might be right. But as the head coach (and a fairly powerful one within the club, I imagine) for approaching a decade, then surely he bears some responsibility for the list build - if it's not actually that great.

Either we have a good list and it's not being put in a position to succeed (which is inextricably linked to coaching), or the list that's been built across his lengthy tenure isn't good enough to compete, which you'd imagine is partially the fault of the senior coach in identifying the areas that require strengthening.

Adam Yze would be my choice for Bevo’s replacement. Assistant under Clarkson during Hawthorn’s successful years, returned to Melbourne and helped turn Melbourne around.

List was built before the 2016 season.

However a massive change in culture & game style after they got rid of the coaching staff and hired Justin Leppitsch & Craig Macrae.
Yer but Leppitsch and Macrae had never been part of a successful coaching group before they went to Richmond. You said you were a big believer that coaches need to be part of a successful group before they do it. Now you are giving them all the credit, which goes against what you said in the first place., because by your theory Richmond shouldn't have appointed them as assistants and thrown their job applications in the bin.

Last edited:
Back