Opinion The moment you thought Bevo went off the track

Remove this Banner Ad

We were playing West Coast (what is it with us and disastrous losses to West Coast?) who were at the time touted as a bottom 4 side and we were touted to bounce back after a lacklustre 2017.

We got absolutely thrashed.
Bingo. All summer we were sold a story and it was immediately apparent in that game that the story was way off. It was also where the catastrophic faults in the system really started to shine through. Waltzing out the front of the contest, lack of cohesion in transition. We broke out of it for a few weeks when we stormed into finals before GWS bullied us, and again across the finals in 21, but otherwise he has been a disorganised, arrogant, cantankerous, distracted, burnt out mess of a bloke.

I ******* hate the campaigner for not not being brave enough to just walk away.

Yeah, I think most have nailed it - although I would say it was the preseason between 2021 GF and Rd 1 2022 rather than the latter game and presser.

Maybe the GF broke him. Who knows. But we went from being one of the stingiest team defenses in the comp to one that allowed teams time and space to transition at will. We had the backing off the mark debacle, and reportedly no review of the glaring issues we had with defending centre clearance in the GF - and now teams know we’re susceptible to that to this day.

That’s outright incompetence, not just poor coaching. To completely ignore your gaps/weaknesses in favour of ploughing on with what you’ve always done, and not adjusting to other teams and the evolution of the comp.

I had concerns in 2017-2020 more in relation to the ruck and forward divisions, as a lot of us had. But defense wins flags and he completely abandoned any semblance of a sensible approach to selection, gameplan and in game adjustments. It’s been soul-destroying to watch, god knows what it’s been like to play under.

There was a period today (third quarter? Early in the fourth?) when we missed two fairly simple set shots in a row (Baker then someone else) - WC then just kicked it through the corridor to teammates in oodles of space like a training drill until they got it inside 50 for a simple mark and goal. It was a perfect encapsulation of everything that’s been wrong with our team defense since the 2021 GF, and completed the fall - it’s one thing for the best team we’ve faced in the past few years to do it, it’s another for the worst team we’ve faced in that period to do it too.

If today wasn’t the final nail in the coffin I’m not sure what else is required. But I won’t be sticking around to watch until he’s gone.

rounds 1 and 2 this year were horrific but I was happy to back him in and he did turn it around when we had a good run of wins… but it seems we are finishing the season off exactly the way we started and it’s just not good enough. It will be quite astounding if he manages to hold onto his job after this finish to the year. Very sad

2018 had me worried. But for me it was 2019 finals. We played GWS and Leon Cameron tagged the Bont and played negating players on ours.

Bevo did nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today was the final nail in the coffin but in hindsight, rd 1 2022 and the press conference that followed was the first time I was alarmed. Not what you want to see from the leader of your organisation
There were rumours alluded to in the press that he was struggling a bit personally at the time.

It was definitely jarring.

It’s been the 5-6 close losses to lower ranked opposition this year that has got me.

Today was the final nail in the coffin but in hindsight, rd 1 2022 and the press conference that followed was the first time I was alarmed. Not what you want to see from the leader of your organisation

It would have been interesting to see how that played out if Morris didn’t have all those stupid/nasty WhatsApp messages, voice memos etc. Bevo kind of skated past it with the video apology and the story focused elsewhere. But in the absence of the other noise there might have been more of a focus on him.

librewolf_xzvyYWtH8i.png

Beveridge challenged the Western Bulldogs to make a deep September run again and not fail to a win a final for five years, like they did after the 2016 success, and to become a powerhouse club across the board, from membership to commercial and beyond.

But most relevant to those in the room who spend most of each week at the Whitten Oval – the players, football department staff and the administration – Beveridge wants the club to draw inspiration from the famous Marxist philosopher Rosa Luxemburg, social activist Mahatma Gandhi and the Argentinian-born revolutionist Guevara.

"Che Guevara in his Motorcycle Diaries says to be a revolutionist you firstly need a revolution. He’s right, of course, but someone or some group needs to start the revolution," Beveridge said at Zinc in Federation Square on Monday night.

It would have been interesting to see how that played out if Morris didn’t have all those stupid/nasty WhatsApp messages, voice memos etc. Bevo kind of skated past it with the video apology and the story focused elsewhere. But in the absence of the other noise there might have been more of a focus on him.
Another factor that helped me overlook it was that I dislike most if not all media reporters that make themselves part of the story (tom morris, Tom Brown, Damien Barret etc) so when bevo said something to Tom Morris it tapped into something

Pre-Season of 2022. When he openly told everyone we had not reviewed the GF because it was too traumatic. Spare me. Knew we were cooked from there.
This is it for me. Not reviewing the GF in detail was a bad move.

Several events in 2022 caused alarm bells but confirmed when we played Freo round 21 at Marvel where we lost 78 to 95 but we allowed Freo a league record of uncontested possessions. We were like witches hats standing in our zone positions and watching Freo easily move into gaps to mark the ball and progress easily down the field and this continued for the entire game. Our players had no idea what to do or who was responsible for the player who marked the ball and the player receiving the next pass. No changes were made by the Dogs during the game to affect the Freo tactics. Absolutely unbelievable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back