Prediction Top 4 and The Rollercoaster dogs or The Bevo Curse

Remove this Banner Ad

It's possible (if not likely) that four matches next week will consist of this year's finalists.

Essendon v Bulldogs
Brisbane v Geelong
Port Adelaide v Collingwood
Melbourne v Adelaide

That's big.

We’re not beating Geelong at GMHBA stadium so that leaves having to win as many as possible from the last 7 games. Even the game against Sydney up there is no guarantee.

I say strike a line through top 4 this season and hope they can salvage a home elimination final in week 1
Definitely not, Sydney are starting favourites with the bookies over us tomorrow night.

We could get Marvel playing against Adelaide. Really depends on where we finish and who we play

Couldn’t get Marvel in 2015 against them.

Couldn’t get Marvel in 2015 against them.

Incidentally our last home final in Melbourne. That's a long time between drinks.

Definitely not, Sydney are starting favourites with the bookies over us tomorrow night.

There's at least a mathematical chance the swans still make finals if they win tomorrow night, lose and they can only get to 12-10-1 by winning their last six games, which is not only extremely unlikely but probably wouldn't even be enough in a 23 game season. The last chance saloon factor, plus our recent form is 2-4, likely plays into that.

On form though, the dogs should be favourites. We also have to win at least one of the next two games imo, so hopefully our boys come out firing here.

We'll make the 8 and probably finish 7th again. Wins against GWS, Tigers, Hawks & Eagles. Losses to the Bombers & Cats.

Lose to Essendon to hand them their first finals win in 20 years.

If we end up playing Essendon in an EF, then there would be a decent chance that Brisbane in the SF would be awaiting the winners after they lose in the QF. Then potentially a trip to Port for a prelim, with maybe Melbourne waiting in the GF (if they upset Collingwood at some point).

Eerie.

Not that I think it’ll happen. This current team is playing far beneath the 2021 version.

If we end up playing Essendon in an EF, then there would be a decent chance that Brisbane in the SF would be awaiting the winners after they lose in the QF. Then potentially a trip to Port for a prelim, with maybe Melbourne waiting in the GF (if they upset Collingwood at some point).

Eerie.

Not that I think it’ll happen. This current team is playing far beneath the 2021 version.
Correct. The 2021 team was an elite squad and was top 2 all season, only for a disastrous 3 week period to cost the club (before rediscovering that form).

Correct. The 2021 team was an elite squad and was top 2 all season, only for a disastrous 3 week period to cost the club (before rediscovering that form).

2021 vs 2023: core players basically same (give and take). Those 3 disastrous weeks due to Bruce ACL
I kind of tempted to think we performed really well due to shorter quarter time in 2021, which makes our brand of footy sustain 4 quarters week in week out. Our ball movement's much better and faster that time

As it stands, if we win the games we should (which is a big if for the Western Bulldogs) we will finish 5th.
Sadly Dees have a pretty easy run home (Crows, Richmond, North, Carlton, Hawks and Sydney) and would have to loose at least three of those for us to have any chance at 4th, we would also have to beat Geelong. So disappointing we're gonna miss out on another top 4 finish.
Either way if we do make the 8, no matter where we finish I can't see us playing a non Victorian side. Reckon it will be one of Saints, Blues or Essendon.
If we drop two games from the remaining five, we'd be sixth or seventh.
If we drop three there's a slight chance we'll be 8th, but like last year we'll be relying on other results.
Either way its in our hands and we'll be starting as the favourites for everyone but Geelong and hopefully by the cats game we've already secured our spot. Jones and JJ coming back in the next few weeks will really boost us too.
Go Dogs!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As it stands, if we win the games we should (which is a big if for the Western Bulldogs) we will finish 5th.
Sadly Dees have a pretty easy run home (Crows, Richmond, North, Carlton, Hawks and Sydney) and would have to loose at least three of those for us to have any chance at 4th, we would also have to beat Geelong. So disappointing we're gonna miss out on another top 4 finish.
Either way if we do make the 8, no matter where we finish I can't see us playing a non Victorian side. Reckon it will be one of Saints, Blues or Essendon.
If we drop two games from the remaining five, we'd be sixth or seventh.
If we drop three there's a slight chance we'll be 8th, but like last year we'll be relying on other results.
Either way its in our hands and we'll be starting as the favourites for everyone but Geelong and hopefully by the cats game we've already secured our spot. Jones and JJ coming back in the next few weeks will really boost us too.
Go Dogs!
Yeah I think 5th is the best we can do in all probability and our opponents are likely to be the 3 you mention, although I think that GWS are chance of bouncing one of them out of the 8.

We're not favoured, but, the cats could have a place in the 8 on the line when they play us. As high as 6th if they win, out if they don't. It would be a great time to break the drought and this scenario has been predicted in the Nostradamus thread.

Yeah I think 5th is the best we can do in all probability and our opponents are likely to be the 3 you mention, although I think that GWS are chance of bouncing one of them out of the 8.

We're not favoured, but, the cats could have a place in the 8 on the line when they play us. As high as 6th if they win, out if they don't. It would be a great time to break the drought and this scenario has been predicted in the Nostradamus thread.
Love to knock Melbourne out in straight sets. They're not that good

Love to knock Melbourne out in straight sets. They're not that good
Yes and it's a strong possibility we meet them in a semi in that scenario.

It's a dream obviously, but if we beat Geelong and end their defending champ run (the last time we did that was in 2016) and then go all the way our last 5 wins could be Cats(Dung heap), GWS(G or Marv), Dees(G), Port(AO).......Pies(G).

A high degree of difficulty ..... and satisfaction.

The top 4 is definitely set, Demons are two games and a heap of percentage ahead unfortunately. Means we would need the Demons to lose 3 of their last 5, which we know is not happening. Have ourselves to blame though. Lost to Suns and Swans who we should have beaten. And blew late leads in a couple of other games. Going to have to do it the hard way as usual. The key now, will be to try and hold onto 5th or 6th to ensure a home final to begin with.

Giants, Blues, Bombers, Tigers are all a good chance to be a week one opponent going by the predictor I did. So I do fancy our week one prospects if the team can play at its best. Just hope to avoid the Cats early on.

My predictor had us vs Giants/Blues/Essendon/Tigers (they all alternated just by me swapping one or two 50/50 games around, thats how close it is) in week one. Demons, then Port as the potential pathway.

The worst case would be a path of Cats, Lions, Pies

Would finally love to be able to go to a final at the MCG. We haven’t had the opportunity since 2016, all away finals since. The 2021 elimination final against Essendon would have been great.

Would finally love to be able to go to a final at the MCG. We haven’t had the opportunity since 2016, all away finals since. The 2021 elimination final against Essendon would have been great.
If we got a home final vs GWS. I'd hope the AFL and us, opt to play at the MCG. Might as well get used to the ground, since that is where the big one will be played. But I have a feeling it will be at Marvel if it is the Giants.

We will definitely be at the G if we land a Victorian opponent. Cannot recall a Victorian final for us since 2015 vs the Crows, and that was a great game and atmosphere.

2020 vs Saints, and 2021 vs Bombers were interstate due to Covid.

Outside the top four, other clubs are very average, including us.
Even Melbourne who are inside the top 4 look a step down from the other 3 (despite beating Brisbane just over a week ago).

In my mind it's something like this right now (although a fair bit to play out before finals):

Collingwood
Gap
Port - Brisbane
Gap
Melbourne
Gap
Bulldogs - Geelong - Carlton - GWS - Adelaide
Gap
Saints - Richmond - Essendon - Sydney - GC
Gap
Freo - Hawks
Gigantic Gap