Opinion The moment you thought Bevo went off the track

Remove this Banner Ad

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For me, when he played Gardner all year long in 2021 (proved me wrong to a degree, well done Ryan), when the bloke was clearly not ready then dropped him for a GF.

There was a game in 21 where Hipwood cooked 5-6 cheapies on Gardner to win the game at the Gabba, where a simple move of Easton Wood to pick up Hipwood would have done. That was the first moment i thought maybe Bevo was taking alternative drugs (psilocybin etc).

The second - GF 21, third quarter. Go man-on-man for 5 mins boys rather than let them put 17 goals on us in a GF. Change it up. Go defensive. Admit you are wrong. Hitler could have withdrawn against the Soviets around Kharkiv…..and playing McComb for no real reason.

There, I finally got there, Godwins Law & Bevo.

From that quarter to now - an absolute sh*t show when you look at our list.

Love you Bevo, a creative genius that ended up producing Ken Done throw-always. Always love you though.

Brisdog

Overruling Simon Dalrymple by selecting Footscray scrapper Billy Gowers in 2017.

This was the point where he stepped over the boundary of just being a coach, and imposed authority over the recruiting department. Didn't Dalrymple go onto say in an interview that he feels like he no longer had a say anymore?

Last edited:
When Mathew Boyd got treated pretty shabbily in 2017 and there was this mantra about getting Bob a premiership. I thought favourites are getting a game and non favourites were not and this has been his approach ever since, instead of good VFL form being rewarded and getting dropped for poor AFL form. Selection integrity seems non existent. Selection has always been appalling under Bevo. The fact VDM played this week after last weeks game was proving the point. Weightman and even Baz also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were playing West Coast (what is it with us and disastrous losses to West Coast?) who were at the time touted as a bottom 4 side and we were touted to bounce back after a lacklustre 2017.

We got absolutely thrashed.
Didn't WC win the flag that year? I do remember that game and thinking that West coast were being undersold prior. Flyin' Ryan's first year no?

Didn't WC win the flag that year? I do remember that game and thinking that West coast were being undersold prior. Flyin' Ryan's first year no?

Yes they did but at the time they were thought of as bottom 4 material.

Regardless it was a bad loss that showed that any thought that 2017 was an aberration was well off the mark.

Overruling Simon Dalrymple by selecting Footscray scrapper Billy Gowers in 2017.

This was the point where he stepped over the boundary of just being a coach, and imposed power over the recruiting department. Didn't Dalrymple go onto say in an interview that he feels like he no longer had a say anymore?

Don't think he said exactly those words, but it was something to the effect that Bevo had too much power and it should be up to me to make the call.

This interview pretty sealed that Bevo wasn't the right coach for me. I couldn't make any sense out of some of the team selections made as well. The worst one for me was giving games to Hannan in the backline when he had just one crappy game in the VFL and was promoted on the back of that. I couldn't believe it. When I heard the Dalrymple interview by the end of the season and the fact they only did a crappy internal review. I totally lost faith in the coach and club. Nothing was going to change.

Last edited:
Yes they did but at the time they were thought of as bottom 4 material.

Regardless it was a bad loss that showed that any thought that 2017 was an aberration was well off the mark.
I look back at those 2 years (17 and 18) and think that we didn't quite appreciate just how much players like Morris, Picken and Clay influenced the side and how much their loss would impact.

We've never been able to replace or replicate their resolve.

Yep. Changing all of the assistants for no good reason just seemed arrogant and dumb like watch this. I can do anything and make it work.
I just thought at the time, if it ain't broke don't fix it

After round 1, 2022.

His outburst at Tom Morris was very out of character and it showed he was rattled. Never could look at him the same after that and I think that’s where the disconnect started.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back