Coach Do you still have any faith in Bevo? [POLL]

Do you still believe he should coach this side?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally, I think it’s a case of Bevo being a good coach, but his style/message has maxed out with this playing list. The options are; rebuild a new list that can adopt the same message, or replace Bevo.
Im not saying it’ll be in the next 3-5 weeks, but I’d start the process for looking for a new coach now.

This was a team willing to fight for each other, yeah we didn't have the best season that year but it still looked like the players were all on board and playing as a cohesive unit, I haven't seen us look anything like this since 2021. I reckon most of the boys have checked out sadly would of been nice to see a few of the lads go in and fight for Bont when he was getting tagged and held all game against the Bombers.

Also Bont on the really off chance your reading this, grow the hair out again

No to the question still.
He has played favourites over the years, and we’ve all found this strange. His favourites that were getting a game, and for long periods, (where others would get one game and then drop back)ahead of those that probably deserved them. Off the top of my head -Billy Gowers, McNeill, Scott, McComb, Tim O’Brian, Gardiner and others I can’t think of just now. Those guys that because he had an influence in getting them from the VFL, other clubs or the scrap heap, his ego backed them in more than others. He is now doing this with Poulter, Baker, Bramble and Vandermeer.
But in doing this he also did the opposite to absolute legends and tough servants of the club. Mathew Boyd, Jordan Roughead, Mitch Wallis (twice). What he did with Mathew Boyd never sat well with me. That guy was a true warrior and servant of the club. His guts and determination that won him All-Australian in the premiership season, and finals too, should never be forgotten. Then in 2017 we didn’t allow him to get to 300 games, made it all about Bob and getting him to 300 games and hopefully a flag. Bob has a stellar 2015 but you don’t hopefully get a flag, you crawl over broken glass to get one. Bob and Boyd were contemporaries and Bob admitted he was not that plugged in to training schedules and other teammates when it was Matty Boyd who put his hand up when we were down and captained the club through the low years. But with Macca helped build a tough resilient foundation for what was to come. I highlight this to show way Bevo played favourites with Bob over Boydy in that instance and doesn’t seem to get how demoralising it must be to teammates missing out to favourites. Caleb Daniel, Jack McCrae and Bailey Dale must be so disappointed to see Vandermeer, Poultry, Baker and Bramble play ahead of them. I don’t mind rewarding form, but there is no form to those guys. And then guys rotting in the reserves like Garcia, Sweet(gone) Cleary, Bendendo and Clarke etc almost never get a crack. How the hell young Westy stayed around is a miracle the way he was treated.
Bevo has it in his mind that speed or some other esoteric factor helps win games of football. No, its guts and determination. Bevo loves English because he looks like a ruck-rover at times, but when he plays with no guts, like recently, he offers nothing, no matter how much he covers the ground.
I know we were never going to win the flag with Macca, and Bevo was perfect for 2015-16 but I’m more convinced than ever that without the Boydy and Macca captain and coach and the absolute warriors that were emerging under their system there is no flag. Clay Smith, Dahlhaus, Biggs, Libba, Morris, Boyd, Picko, Cordy and Easton Wood were animals. Bont and McCrae were very tough kids. We need some more animals and they need reward. Sanders, L Jones, Richards, West…who else? Some kids who haven’t played yet? Bevo isn’t the future, because his ego gets in the way at selection every week since 2017.

He has played favourites over the years, and we’ve all found this strange. His favourites that were getting a game, and for long periods, (where others would get one game and then drop back)ahead of those that probably deserved them. Off the top of my head -Billy Gowers, McNeill, Scott, McComb, Tim O’Brian, Gardiner and others I can’t think of just now. Those guys that because he had an influence in getting them from the VFL, other clubs or the scrap heap, his ego backed them in more than others. He is now doing this with Poulter, Baker, Bramble and Vandermeer.
But in doing this he also did the opposite to absolute legends and tough servants of the club. Mathew Boyd, Jordan Roughead, Mitch Wallis (twice). What he did with Mathew Boyd never sat well with me. That guy was a true warrior and servant of the club. His guts and determination that won him All-Australian in the premiership season, and finals too, should never be forgotten. Then in 2017 we didn’t allow him to get to 300 games, made it all about Bob and getting him to 300 games and hopefully a flag. Bob has a stellar 2015 but you don’t hopefully get a flag, you crawl over broken glass to get one. Bob and Boyd were contemporaries and Bob admitted he was not that plugged in to training schedules and other teammates when it was Matty Boyd who put his hand up when we were down and captained the club through the low years. But with Macca helped build a tough resilient foundation for what was to come. I highlight this to show way Bevo played favourites with Bob over Boydy in that instance and doesn’t seem to get how demoralising it must be to teammates missing out to favourites. Caleb Daniel, Jack McCrae and Bailey Dale must be so disappointed to see Vandermeer, Poultry, Baker and Bramble play ahead of them. I don’t mind rewarding form, but there is no form to those guys. And then guys rotting in the reserves like Garcia, Sweet(gone) Cleary, Bendendo and Clarke etc almost never get a crack. How the hell young Westy stayed around is a miracle the way he was treated.
Bevo has it in his mind that speed or some other esoteric factor helps win games of football. No, its guts and determination. Bevo loves English because he looks like a ruck-rover at times, but when he plays with no guts, like recently, he offers nothing, no matter how much he covers the ground.
I know we were never going to win the flag with Macca, and Bevo was perfect for 2015-16 but I’m more convinced than ever that without the Boydy and Macca captain and coach and the absolute warriors that were emerging under their system there is no flag. Clay Smith, Dahlhaus, Biggs, Libba, Morris, Boyd, Picko, Cordy and Easton Wood were animals. Bont and McCrae were very tough kids. We need some more animals and they need reward. Sanders, L Jones, Richards, West…who else? Some kids who haven’t played yet? Bevo isn’t the future, because his ego gets in the way at selection every week since 2017.
yeah,

the worst was the favouring of Bob over Boyd in 2017. bob was cooked, post knee, and there were even signs early 2016, Boyd should have played ahead of him bar for sentimentality.

a collingwood poster said something spot on the other day. how many of Bevo's favourites have made it? Gowers, honeychurch, Gardner, Hayes, VDM, McComb, Young (2017 version)? Lipinski would be handy

Not to mention refusing to give Boyd a farewell game in the final round of the 2017 season and having the President step in and overrule him. I'm amazed that Gordo didn't turf him right there and then.

I am DEFINITELY reading too much into this, but Bevo wearing a collared shirt seems a little odd to me. From todays presser.

1713263144916.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m all for a mini rebuild. We have most of what we need but there does need to be some player movement at years end, the game has gone past a few of them.

We just can’t bottom out this year completely without a first rounder.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Meaningless win against a bag of potatoes. That’s what a talented team is supposed to do against traffic cones.

What we’ve confirmed there is that the squad, under Bevo’s leadership play conditional footy. When the off field pressure is up and there is an emotional upswing, they show up. When the on field pressure is on and it’s just about getting to work and executing, being tactically adept and prepared to grind, it’s a lucky dip, skewed towards rolling over.

Do that on the road. Or against a side in the top four and then you can have a Bevo circle jerk. Until then, enjoy the win, STFU and get on with it.

Meaningless win against a bag of potatoes. That’s what a talented team is supposed to do against traffic cones.

What we’ve confirmed there is that the squad, under Bevo’s leadership play conditional footy. When the off field pressure is up and there is an emotional upswing, they show up. When the on field pressure is on and it’s just about getting to work and executing, being tactically adept and prepared to grind, it’s a lucky dip, skewed towards rolling over.

Do that on the road. Or against a side in the top four and then you can have a Bevo circle jerk. Until then, enjoy the win, STFU and get on with it.

Apparently was an 8 point game according to the media. I think you’re unable to say anything positive about Bevo even when he steers the team to a good win. Enjoy the week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

We all needed that.

I don’t think there’s much to read into because we have mostly always shown we are capable of beating fellow mid table sides. Legit teams are what we struggle to get over the top against.

Tonight is as good a bounce back as any, to be enjoyed, knock off Freo in Perth…now that’s moving the needle.

Back