Opinion Who can you trust?

Which players do you trust? Pick 5 ... if you can.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Trust. Hard to earn, easy to lose. I feel for Bont and Libba. When they look around the dressing room after another frustrating loss who of their team mates in that room do they know they can trust in the heat of battle.

So help them out. Reassure Bont and Libba that there are 5 players in that room, other than themselves, that they can trust.

Tip: It's not as easy as it sounds

The Poll will only take a maximum of 20 players so Bont and Libba have been left out as options .... for obvious reasons.

L Jones and Richards are locks. They’re consistent, and at a high level.

I think you can trust Naughton, Daniel and Macrae for effort even if execution can vary.

I have to say though, after that it does feel shaky. It’s probably grossly unfair as we have that abomination of a performance firmly in the front of our minds, and others have runs on the board that we should respect. But it’s enlightening that a rookie like JOD might be in the top half of this group from that perspective in a fairly short time.

The collective have issues with thinking clearly, making good footy decisions and then executing them to standard. There is a malaise across the team that needs to be addressed. I’m not sure it’s related to individual players, but I do sympathise with Bont right now.

L Jones and Richards are locks. They’re consistent, and at a high level.

I think you can trust Naughton, Daniel and Macrae for effort even if execution can vary.

I have to say though, after that it does feel shaky. It’s probably grossly unfair as we have that abomination of a performance firmly in the front of our minds, and others have runs on the board that we should respect. But it’s enlightening that a rookie like JOD might be in the top half of this group from that perspective in a fairly short time.

The collective have issues with thinking clearly, making good footy decisions and then executing them to standard. There is a malaise across the team that needs to be addressed. I’m not sure it’s related to individual players, but I do sympathise with Bont right now.
Interesting that the defence is widely seen as our problem area. But even at this early stage, the 2 most endorsed players considered trustworthy are in the backline.

Left the poll open till after the Weagles game to give any downhill skiiers a shot at the votes.

Interesting that the defence is widely seen as our problem area. But even at this early stage, the 2 most endorsed players considered trustworthy are in the backline.

Left the poll open till after the Weagles game to give any downhill skiiers a shot at the votes.
If it weren't for Jones and Red we wouldve lost alot more games. When they were injured the backline was a complete mess.

Well this is pretty damning to date. I included the whole best 22 because it was going to be difficult to find 5.
I would say that an 85% to 90% endorsement would be a pass mark to indicate you could trust a player on observed form over a period.

We have only 2 in that category. Liam Jones and Ed Richards. No-one else breaks 50%.
Add Bont and Libba and that's 4 players in the 22 that we trust.

Now put Bont and Libba's shoes on. It's little wonder Bont is starting to spit the dummy.
The coach may well pay the price for this but there is a huge amount of personal responsibility that should be laid at the players' feet. They're not doing it for the coach, but more importantly, they're not doing it for each other.

Of the regular best 22 who can be trusted the least, it doesn't appear anyone is going to lose any sleep if Smith, Williams and Lobb aren't selected and don't play again for us this season (1 vote between them of the 142 cast)

Last edited:
Back