Hey Jordan Bannister!

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get why he would get the game. Surely this early in his career they could just give him one of the 7 non conflicting games. He probably does call it down the middle, in fact I'm sure he would be trying to but seems silly when he will be open to this sort of criticism.

It's bad enough a sub-par umpire is being fast-tracked and given special treatment only because he used to play AFL footy, but last night was embarrassing for the AFL, he was basically throwing the game.

Ex-Players should not umpire their old teams if only to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

This protects not just the umpires but the teams as well as the ex-player might umpire his old team more harshly as to appear unbiased.

With 9 games a round there is no good reason for this situation to occur and I'm surprised the AFL condone it as all it can do is bring undue criticism on the umpires.

He played 14 games in 3 years before being delisted. If anything he would be biased against us.

Look at the Bomber supporters defending this bloke. His problem isn't bias, it's incompetence. His performance last night was diabolical, getting gifted games purely on the basis that he played at the highest level, unfortunately at this stage his umpiring career is going as well as his playing career.

He just seems to be copping criticism because he happened to play for two big clubs in Carlton and Essendon, which is unfair and crap. He has umpired fine from what I have seen, and he seriously works hard at improving. He has also worked his way up from lower leagues since the end of his playing career, this wasn't gifted at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually we won the contested possession count last night pazza.

Trust somebody from Lara to make such a *ed comment.

Look at the Bomber supporters defending this bloke. His problem isn't bias, it's incompetence. His performance last night was diabolical, getting gifted games purely on the basis that he played at the highest level, unfortunately at this stage his umpiring career is going as well as his playing career.
Besides the Riewoldt mark decision, what did he do last night that was so terrible? That was so horribly worse than any other umpire?

Hey Jordan Bannister! You're doing a good job.

He has been fine in the games i have seen him and i like his no nonsense approach he just calls the free kick and gets on with it, no backchatting, yelling at players, no overacting decisions like holding the ball.

He played 14 games in 3 years before being delisted. If anything he would be biased against us.

The club maybe. There are guys playing there though he worked with every day, more than likely hung out with etc. I don't doubt the bloke and he seems to have been OK in the games I have watched where he has umpired, I just don't get why the AFL would give him Bombers or Blues games.. at least for his first year. Seems to just open him up for criticism for being biased.

The club maybe. There are guys playing there though he worked with every day, more than likely hung out with etc. I don't doubt the bloke and he seems to have been OK in the games I have watched where he has umpired, I just don't get why the AFL would give him Bombers or Blues games.. at least for his first year. Seems to just open him up for criticism for being biased.

I think the AFL probably know those criticisms are a load of old toss.

Fletcher maybe. But who else do we have on our list that played on Saturday night thats still around from 2003?

Dead set cheat. What a horrible umpiring performance it was on the Saturday night. He was all over the place and guessing half his decisions. My mates who were with me who were Essendon supporters could not stop laughing and kept saying he is still a Bomber! What a champ! :eek::mad:

To have an umpire, umpire a game where his former team is involved is a massive issue. To fast track someone who is obviously not capable just for PR does make it a blight on the game.

What a disaster his performance was on Saturday night. Joke.
His pat on the back to Watson and laugh capped it all off for me. Jordan Bannister is a dead set cheat. This farce needs to stop.

It's comments such as those made by Tigerbob that highlight the problem of trying to get former players to be umpires. Why? We all think that such a move is a good thing, given that these former players understand the game.

But the comments don't help as it would mean that such former players would be precluded from umpiring matches involving the club/s that person may have been previously involved with, which could only hinder the development of that umpire or other umpires wishing to follow the same path., let alone compromising the selection process.

From a pure umpiring perspective, Bannister has been umpiring quite well. Let's look at the technical aspects of umpiring.

* Bouncing - perhaps the most difficult skill of field umpiring there is. Seems to be going fine to my eyes.

* Decision-making - been very good. Only 1 decision he made Saturday night could be called into question was the "mark" paid to Riewoldt that clearly wasn't completed according to any viewing of it. Umpires Rosebury and Stewart may have had a say in the free kick count, but, the answer to that is - as has always been the case - if you get in front of your opponent, you are more likely to receive free kicks in your favour than you would otherwise might get.

* Positioning - being a former player, Bannister would have no problem in getting into the best possible position for giving marks and free kicks. On the evidence this season, he has done this. Keep in mind he is only in his 3rd year of umpiring.

All in all, the umpires on Saturday night really had no influence on the outcome of the match.

I love Big Footy.

Umpire who never played the game: What would he know, he never played the friggin game blah blah blah wah wah

Umpire who has played the game: Why do they let these guys umpire?? They should never umpire they didn't give my team a free kick wah wah wah

****ing pathetic all the whinging in this thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back