MRP / Trib. Higgins - 3 weeks for Aliir tackle

What should the penalty be?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesn’t have to be a sling tackle for it to be a dangerous tackle according to the 2024 guidelines.

If a players arm is pinned, they’re rotated or the action includes more than one action, it’s classified as a dangerous tackle.

Higgins tackle meets all these criteria so doesn’t really matter if its not a “sling”.

Probably 90% of all tackles meet that criteria though.

You don't get suspended just for 'dangerous' tackles.

The tribunal is just as much of a joke as the MRO, how does Charlie Cameron get let off with nothing yet Higgins gets 3 weeks.

Obviously Higgins isn't enough of a good bloke.

He was never getting off Alir is missing 12 days

Actually lucky it wasn’t graded severe based off this year

It was graded severe, that's why Higgins got 3 weeks when most sling tackles get a week or even nothing like Charlie Cameron.

The lack of consistency is farcical.

It does not
Higgins has 1 motion, downwards, he doesn't rotate at all, Allirs kicking action is the rotation

His other arm is around his back and rolls him around. Dragged downwards with the arm hold and body weight and the also the arm around the back as a second action.

Funny that many players kick when being tackled and don’t end up round housing themselves into the ground. One would think that’s maybe due to the actions of Higgins instead. Just maybe…

Probably 90% of all tackles meet that criteria though.

You don't get suspended just for 'dangerous' tackles.

90% of tackles though don’t result in a concussion and the head slamming into the turf. It’s the few that do that the AFL are taking action against.

Whether we like it or not, the concussion changes the perception of the impact which results in a greater penalty. Has been the way for years now.

Higgins was careless in his actions towards Aliir. No different to a bump gone wrong now. The player has a duty of care towards that player whether we like it or not. So they need to implement it correctly.

I think if his name was Daicos he wouldn't get more than a week, But probably off with a fine.

Impossible with the concussion. It was either 0 for the action or 3+ on a severe grading which it was.

At the end of the day his actions contributed to Allir being out for a minimum of 12 days. That’s the bottom line here, did it deserve 3 maybe nit but it’s very consistent based off this years rulings

No it isn't consistent at all, how many other so called sling tackles have got a 3 week suspension this year? None I can think of.

I doubt there was anyone that saw that Higgins tackle on Friday night and thought that it deserved a 3 week suspension.

Even most commentators said it should either be a week or even no suspension, only Michael Christian thought that it deserved 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it isn't consistent at all, how many other so called sling tackles have got a 3 week suspension this year? None I can think of.

I doubt there was anyone that saw that Higgins tackle on Friday night and thought that it deserved a 3 week suspension.

Even most commentators said it should either be a week or even no suspension, only Michael Christian thought that it deserved 3.
If was judged to be a classifiable offence it had to be 3+ weeks. Concussions automatically lead to severe impact and high contact, combined with careless ruling equals 3+ on the MRP table. Had Aliir not been concussed, it would have been assessed as medium impact and therefore 1 week.

As it was, there was zero mechanism for it to be 1 week, the only realistic argument they could make was that it wasn't a classifiable offence at all (which they had a reasonable argument for). Barring some weird obscure ruling like they made with the Charlie Cameron farce, they had no chance of anything but 0 or 3+ weeks.

90% of tackles though don’t result in a concussion and the head slamming into the turf. It’s the few that do that the AFL are taking action against.
I literally saw two tackles where a guy was tackled and had his head slammed into the ground as a result whilst flicking between games over the weekend. I mentioned then earlier in this thread. Kennedy did it to Dangerfield, and Blakey did it to Chol.

One was 'play on', the other actually resulted in a free kick to the tackler.

There was no concussion, but both hit their heads hard on the ground.

It literally makes zero sense to 'crack down' on something in one situation - and the reward it in another.

It certainly isn't a deterrent. And if it's not a deterrent, then what is the point?

it doesn't make anything safer if it's still a legal action.

it's just really weird and utterly illogical.

It literally couldn’t be only a week as soon as there was a concussion. Those are the rules it’s consistent. All year they have ruled this way. Players know to not sling in tackles

It literally couldn’t be only a week as soon as there was a concussion. Those are the rules it’s consistent. All year they have ruled this way. Players know to not sling in tackles
They clearly don't.

Kennedy did it to Dangerfield on Saturday. Blakey did it to Chol on Sunday

Both hit their heads heavily on the ground. One was even a free kick to the tackler.

Only suspending players based on concussion does not act as a deterrent and clearly does not make the game safer.

It's just a really odd approach. I don't really understand the purpose it serves.

I literally saw two tackles where a guy was tackled and had his head slammed into the ground as a result whilst flicking between games over the weekend. I mentioned then earlier in this thread. Kennedy did it to Dangerfield, and Blakey did it to Chol.

One was 'play on', the other actually resulted in a free kick to the tackler.

There was no concussion, but both hit their heads hard on the ground.

It literally makes zero sense to 'crack down' on something in one situation - and the reward it in another.

It certainly isn't a deterrent. And if it's not a deterrent, then what is the point?

it doesn't make anything safer if it's still a legal action.

it's just really weird and utterly illogical.

But if they didn’t result in a concussion then they are practically irrelevant to this discussion.

The impact is a determining factor in the sanction whether we like it or not. It just is. A large factor for that matter.

As soon as Aliir went out with concussion the only option was severe impact and 3 matches. It’s in the AFLs guidelines and MRO grading.

So there’s really no point comparing to other tackles and saying they hit their head hard but we’re fine. 1 of them resulted in concussion and the other didn’t.

This was so cut and paste from the moment it happened.

They clearly don't.

Kennedy did it to Dangerfield on Saturday. Blakey did it to Chol on Sunday

Both hit their heads heavily on the ground. One was even a free kick to the tackler.

Only suspending players based on concussion does not act as a deterrent and clearly does not make the game safer.

It's just a really odd approach. I don't really understand the purpose it serves.

Neither of those incidents resulted in a concussion and a player being out for a minimum of 12 days. Concussion is very important these players have to live after they play, can we not have more with head injury symptoms after the play?

But if they didn’t result in a concussion then they are practically irrelevant to this discussion.

The impact is a determining factor in the sanction whether we like it or not. It just is. A large factor for that matter.

As soon as Aliir went out with concussion the only option was severe impact and 3 matches. It’s in the AFLs guidelines and MRO grading.

So there’s really no point comparing to other tackles and saying they hit their head hard but we’re fine. 1 of them resulted in concussion and the other didn’t.

This was so cut and paste from the moment it happened.

My discussion has been about the logic in suspending players for actions based solely on whether the guy gets concussion or not.

I also did not believe that Higgins slung Alir.

But I feel like you're arguing whether the AFL was right or not based on the AFL's rules - whereas I'm arguing that the AFL rules are pretty much nonsensical.

But I feel like you're arguing whether the AFL was right or not based on the AFL's rules - whereas I'm arguing that the AFL rules are pretty much nonsensical.
The rules may be nonsensical and erratically imposed but it's about time tackles where an opponent's head bounces off the ground to give them concession or make their eyes pop out should not be part of the game of footy.

Is it just me being melodramatic or is the AFL... I dunno, unravelling itself this year? Contradictions upon contradictions in almost every facet of the league
Yeah. They've moved too far away from integrity and have lost their balance now. The product keeps getting worse every year but if punters keep watching there'll always be more money in it.

Neither of those incidents resulted in a concussion and a player being out for a minimum of 12 days. Concussion is very important these players have to live after they play, can we not have more with head injury symptoms after the play?

Some players get concussed more easily than others so if that is the only criteria for a suspension then it just becomes pot luck.

A player could make a sling tackle with equal force to the Higgins tackle and get no suspension due to there being no concussion.

How is that fair? it's just punishing the outcome rather than the action and it results in a lack of consistency and more confusion.

Back