Hocking’s Mess

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a double layered mess - rule changes that eat at the fabric of the game and then inconsistent interpretation and application from the umpires. A great recipe for supporter discontent.

No, it won’t
Kick ins were already part of the last set of rule changes. It did nothing.

Your implied that kick out rule was designed to increase scoring. It wasn't so you were wrong

It was designed to make it easier to clear the ball at a kick in....in the lead in to the change it was repeatedly sighted that the attacking team was twice as likely to score the next goal than the defending team.

Your assertion that the previous kick in change had no affect on opening the game up is unsupported by any evidence.

In my view (self consciously an assertion) the new change will almost certainly open the game up at the kick in. Players can effectively run out to 20 metres in any direction before kicking it.

We will see this year how many teams, for instance, kick the ball to a contest on the boundary 60 metres out or through a dicky kick to a team mate 20 metres away.

Don't mind the on the mark rule change. Actually think it's less confusing, there's been such a grey area over encroaching the mark for ages, if players have to just stand still it makes it more clear.

Exactly.

It's actually easier to umpire.

Will a player like Buddy be deemed to play on as soon as he steps one foot off his line having a kick or will the AFL keep giving players like him leniency?
If the player on the mark cannot move then surely the kicker must run directly at him to kick and if he moves just one step off dead straight it must be play on yes?

It's an offensively biased rule, designed to increase scoring. My guess is the player with the ball will be given a lot more leeway than the man on the mark.

Learn a few things before crapping on so much

Might want to take your own advice.

Your implied that kick out rule was designed to increase scoring. It wasn't so you were wrong

It was designed to make it easier to clear the ball at a kick in....in the lead in to the change it was repeatedly sighted that the attacking team was twice as likely to score the next goal than the defending team.

Your assertion that the previous kick in change had no affect on opening the game up is unsupported by any evidence.

In my view (self consciously an assertion) the new change will almost certainly open the game up at the kick in. Players can effectively run out to 20 metres in any direction before kicking it.

We will see this year how many teams, for instance, kick the ball to a contest on the boundary 60 metres out or through a dicky kick to a team mate 20 metres away.
‘To open the game up’ is just a marketing way to get around quantitative measures of whether rule changes worked.
You can just come out and say ‘the game definitely feels more open’
Instead of looking at the data and seeing scoring decrease by 10ppg

‘To open the game up’ is just a marketing way to get around quantitative measures of whether rule changes worked.

You can just come out and say ‘the game definitely feels more open’

Nonsense. For a start you can easily develop quantitative measures based on options taken by teams kicking out.

Certainly better than moronically (i.e. like a moron) using a metric that explicitly wan't the intent of the rule and moronically (i.e. like a moron) making no effort to establish a causal link with the moronic choice of metric....

Instead of looking at the data and seeing scoring decrease by 10ppg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the professionalism of coaching that is affecting the spectacle, not rule changes.
All football codes seem to get more defensive over time.

The rulemakers have the double whammy of:

1. More contests, more players around the ball, more fitness, more tackles, collisions, etc
2. The growing spectre of CTE and the AFL's duty of care to players

.. to deal with.

Changes are always going to be part of the game, more so than ever before. You can choose to accept that or forever feel anxious about it.

I know many many people will disagree with this but I would go with

15 on the ground
7 on the bench

You are right, 7 on the bench is a massive overkill.

I've come around to the reduction of players onfield but 16 should the first option, not 15.

As for the number of players on the bench, 4 is way more than enough so the complete team should be 20 in total.

You're trying to lecture people about 80s football as though it has any relevance today, in order to discredit their comments (which, mind you, were quite valid).
You go no idea. Only addressed one poster about his stupid general comment of defence did not exist in 1980's.
That is not lecturing people. That is pulling up one poster on his stupid comment and calling him out on fact the reason for that stupid comment because he actually did not watch football then and anybody who did watch football then knows that.
Think again before making such a dumb comment as "lecturing people"

You go no idea. Only addressed one poster about his stupid general comment of defence did not exist in 1980's.
That is not lecturing people. That is pulling up one poster on his stupid comment and calling him out on fact the reason for that stupid comment because he actually did not watch football then and anybody who did watch football then knows that.
Think again before making such a dumb comment as "lecturing people"

Yet again you're too busy lecturing everyone else about what they should think and calling their comments stupid or dumb, to actually understand what he was saying.

80's defence, and modern defence are so different that they might as well not even be called the same thing. RUNVS wasn't saying "past defenders were crap" but defence in the modern form didn't exist, and coaches can't unlearn what they've learnt.

So far so good it seems...

Umpire Matt Stevic who officiated in the match said there were about 100 moments when players were on the mark but only one player who was penalised for moving.

“It was pretty much a full length game and I think we paid one I reckon there might be 80 to 110 set plays or set kicks a game where we are calling the mark then we are either calling play on or we are telling the player to stand on the mark so from our perspective I think it went pretty well and think the players adjusted quickly to it,” Stevic said.

Nonsense. For a start you can easily develop quantitative measures based on options taken by teams kicking out.

Certainly better than moronically (i.e. like a moron) using a metric that explicitly wan't the intent of the rule and moronically (i.e. like a moron) making no effort to establish a causal link with the moronic choice of metric....
So what data shows us the game has been more open in the last two seasons?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back