News Hodge increases lead in AFLCA award

Remove this Banner Ad

Hodge_AFLCA14_246.jpg
Luke Hodge was best on ground in Friday's thriller between Hawthorn and the Western Bulldogs

By Luke Holmesby 5:34 PM Mon 05 July, 2010

HAWTHORN star Luke Hodge has extended his lead in the AFLCA Player of the year award to 10 votes.

Hodge received a perfect 10 for his performance in the Hawks’ win over the Western Bulldogs on Friday night after failing to poll in his most recent game against the Bombers.

Fremantle ruckman Aaron Sandilands has reclaimed second spot from Magpie Dane Swan.

Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs
10 Luke Hodge (Haw)
8 Brian Lake (WB)
6 Sam Mitchell (Haw)
3 Matthew Boyd (WB)
2 Jarryd Roughead (Haw)
1 Liam Picken (WB)

LEADERBOARD
72 Luke Hodge (Haw)
62 Aaron Sandilands (Frem)
61 Dane Swan (Coll)
54 Paul Chapman (Geel)
47 Matthew Pavlich (Frem)
46 Chris Judd (Carl)
42 Lenny Hayes (StK)
41 David Mundy (Frem)
40 Gary Ablett (Geel)
40 Brendon Goddard (StK)

what more can ya say what a bloody champion .....:thumbsu:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/97558/default.aspx

I'll assume that Clarko gave him the votes, and it must mean he's playing very well to instructions. I thought he was good, but must admit I was surprised he got votes ahead of, for example, Cyril.

you do realise that a coach cannot have a say on the voting to his own players right? it is the same as the AFLPA award, in which no player can vote for their own team-mate

you do realise that a coach cannot have a say on the voting to his own players right? it is the same as the AFLPA award, in which no player can vote for their own team-mate

Um, pretty sure both coaches can vote for whoever they want. So they both gave Hodge 5. Otherwise Eade would have had to give him 10, which means Clarko would have given a dog player 10.

Am I missing a point or something?

Coaches can give a maximum of 5 votes to any one player
And a total of 30 votes all up
They do not have to give a 5 4 3 2 1 if they do not believe that is what the players deserve

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Um, pretty sure both coaches can vote for whoever they want. So they both gave Hodge 5. Otherwise Eade would have had to give him 10, which means Clarko would have given a dog player 10.

Am I missing a point or something?
Nope, MM has the wrong end of the stick.
Each coach votes for the best players on the ground, be they from their own team or not.

The way I see it from the votes I think Clarkson voted:
5 Luke Hodge (Haw)
4 Brian Lake (WB)
3 Sam Mitchell (Haw)
2 Jarryd Roughead (Haw)
1 Matthew Boyd (WB)

... and Rocket voted
5 Luke Hodge (Haw)
4 Brian Lake (WB)
3 Sam Mitchell (Haw)
2 Matthew Boyd (WB)
1 Liam Picken (WB)

It could be the other way around, and I had thought so originally except for the Roughhead votes. Must be a playing to instruction thing. Don't get me wrong, love Roughie, but not sure Rocket would've given him 2 votes.

Also: Hodge has to get a Brownlow. Straightens up the bloody Brownlow medal a bit if he gets it. No one will argue with it. Champion!

Broiwnlow odds of $51 at the start of the year I got him at $41 he'll go very close & would be leading ATM IMO nice little 50 on him will see me collect over $2000

And got the Hawks at $81 for the Flag @ $150 for a return of over $12000:D

Know a few boys who took the $8.50 for the final eight aswell great Punting Go Hodgey.....:thumbsu:

Broiwnlow odds of $51 at the start of the year I got him at $41 he'll go very close & would be leading ATM IMO nice little 50 on him will see me collect over $2000

Know a few boys who took the $8.50 for the final eight aswell great Punting Go Hodgey.....:thumbsu:

Good luck Noose. You're definitely in with a fighting chance, and a bloody good one at that.

Took both of these Noose, before the Tiggers game. Didn't put quite as much on as you, but I'll be happy to join the collecting queue!!

Wanted to back Hodgey for the Brownlow, but I seem to put a curse on Brownlow's so I backed Cats and Saints instead:D

I went to put $50 on him at $51 before the season started but had a few drinks on the night and somehow managed to make a mistake. Was convinced for weeks that I had until I had a look at my account in May that I didn't!
What a letdown. If he wins it will be sweet and bitter at the same time!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back