How did prime Barry Hall (04-06) compare to other great CHFs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would it be?

Hawkins - 790 goals (352 games)
J.Riewoldt - 787 goals (347 games)
Hall - 746 goals (289 games)
Kennedy - 723 goals (293 games)
N.Riewoldt - 718 goals (336 games)
If he played today, based on his stats I’d say he’d be better than Jemery Cameron. So yep I agree he’s in the second tier.

Why would it be?

Hawkins - 790 goals (352 games)
J.Riewoldt - 787 goals (347 games)
Hall - 746 goals (289 games)
Kennedy - 723 goals (293 games)
N.Riewoldt - 718 goals (336 games)
You’re right. He compares better than I thought.

I stand corrected.

His Champion Data ranking points (SuperCoach) for 2005 and 2006 are crazy elite. Is every bit as good as all of the other great CHFs/mobile KPFs of that era. I don't have his 2004 number but I'm sure it's similar.

2005: 131.8
2006: 117.8

Lance Franklin's best was 115.5 over 16 games in 2012. Matthew Pavlich's best was 115.6 over 22 games in 2007. Don't have their 2004 seasons but Nick Riewoldt's best is 117.2 over 22 games in 2006 and Warren Tredrea's best is 125.6 over 22 games in 2005.

Jonathan Brown's best mark was 140.5 in 2006 but it was only 10 games.

Although not quite as good as Champion Data's player ratings, its ranking points still help to contexualize stats and boil player value down to a single number. Here's an explanation of the methodology:

SuperCoach+Explanation.png

Great player, 1 or 2 rungs below the absolute best but was a thug and would get umpired out of the game if he was playing now.

Lockett, Hall, Franklin...funny how all these great forwards end up at a club who constantly complain about retention.

He was a champion forward during the mid 00s, rarely seemed to have a bad game then (save the 2006 GF) and slight improvements for a couple years. Decent shot from range and consistent, despite his repute he was a dependable type. Scarlo was his foil, tended to manage ok otherwise. Micky O sort of went FF by then as an ageing player prone to soft tissue injuries. I think that freed up O’Keefe to build a huge engine and play more time through the middle as well, he was a target forward in the early Roos days when still consolidating his place in the side. Some depth tall forwards then were Luke Vogels and (early) Heath Grundy, the likes of Ted Richards and Goodes could also be thrown forward if necessary.

The Sydney market also loved their big glamour trade-in forwards and were a huge marketing focus. He filled that role superbly. Would have been one of the most recognised Swans locally during those years.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back