How do we fix our clubs culture?

Remove this Banner Ad

You know what I hated? Ling doing his list post match, in which he named Roo. Hamish then grabs his phone and implies it's Roo texting/calling.

Now, it could have been a joke, but something tells me it wasn't. Roo should have been thinking of how his club can shake this softness, not worrying about where he sits in some stupid list.

Lay down the law. Make statements at selection table. Bring in the young talent.
Honestly, if the club never made another "statement" at the selection table I'd be delighted. Because the statement is never "That performance wasn't good enough!" But rather "This player has played a bad game in recent memory and if I'm criticised in the next few weeks, dropping him will deflect some criticism."

I call it "The Tambling Gambit"

Honestly, if the club never made another "statement" at the selection table I'd be delighted. Because the statement is never "That performance wasn't good enough!" But rather "This player has played a bad game in recent memory and if I'm criticised in the next few weeks, dropping him will deflect some criticism."

I call it "The Tambling Gambit"
Another?

Hurts to say but it was a man named Phil Walsh who was finally stamping out the mediocrity at our club. He would have sent a rocket so far up the players arses after we got cocky against NM. I know it's 'ifs' and 'buts' but he was exactly what our club needed. Haven't heard the words 'man conversation' , 'team first' and 'elite standards' for a while now just feel like we are floating away from Phil's mantra ever so slowly back into a domain of unpunished mediocrity

So much this^.
To me, Phil Walsh had the right amount of "crazy" to take us all the way. No more talk of Elite Standards at the AFC. But it's all cool, we own an eSports team now. The other question that burns for me is how long will it take to get over the Tippett sanctions. At the time we were talking a decade, maybe longer based on Carlton's fall from grace. I think we still have a way to go and playing list cloggers week after week is not helping.

Lay down the law. Make statements at selection table. Bring in the young talent.
How do you know it wasn't just a case of us being incredibly unlucky as last night " Geelong were playing their grand final". while supporters come up with pearler of excuses like that the culture will never change.

How do you know it wasn't just a case of us being incredibly unlucky as last night " Geelong were playing their grand final". while supporters come up with pearler of excuses like that the culture will never change.

We aren't Geelongs grand final, we are a nothing side to them. They treat us with arrogant disdain and rightly so. They know we're their bunnies and they can walk right over us.

They knew that we not only would we capitulate we wouldn't even get physical with them.

They walked away from that game with less bruises than they had when it started.

the joys of hindsight I wish I had. I see what you did there. To me this result was the worst for the season. So much to play for and we didn't turn up. That's what really hurts and frustrates the supporters. Surely now though, Mackay is out.

I called for this a few years ago - bring in Mark Williams.
Controversial I know, but he is an expert at developing an 'us v them' culture. He will piss lots of people off (good) and rub many the wrong way (also good). He will upset the apple cart (perfect).

We need a tough screw you attitude around the club. He is the one guy I would target and happily give a significant role to.

We have gone down this nice path as long as we can. Time to get ruthless.

Its our supporters.
Since day dot, our players have been told how gr8 they are from every man and his dog.
The public cant get enough of them. Treated like rock stars every where they go.
It doesnt matter how bad they do, they will be feted every where they go. We can win the wooden spoon and every home game will still be sold out.
The players have always believed their own hype. They dont have to play well to get it either so no need to go the extra yard.

Its our supporters.
Since day dot, our players have been told how gr8 they are from every man and his dog.
The public cant get enough of them. Treated like rock stars every where they go.
It doesnt matter how bad they do, they will be feted every where they go. We can win the wooden spoon and every home game will still be sold out.
The players have always believed their own hype. They dont have to play well to get it either so no need to go the extra yard.
Yes. Seen plenty of "we never win at Geelong, so don't worry about it".

FFS, you'd better bloody hope the players don't think like that. It was the same excuses against North "We never play well in Tasmania, don't worry about it", Melbourne "Dees were pumped for Hogan, don't worry about it". It's weak as piss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its our supporters.
Some people just don't take football supporting as serious as others.

Bring Bec Goddard and some of the girls in. They were tough, hard at the ball, and very intent on winning. Maybe some of that will rub off.

Mackay alone has been dropped numerous times in the last few years for token periods.
He's played about 99% of games since he started. He's hardly the poster boy for feeling the selector's wrath. The opposite in fact.

We've very rarely dropped anyone for form, let alone a group of under-performing players. Our outs are usually minimal - only changes are due to injuries incurred or players returning from injury.

I would be genuinely be interested to know when was the last time we omitted 3 or more players for a game due to form.

We aren't Geelongs grand final, we are a nothing side to them. They treat us with arrogant disdain and rightly so. They know we're their bunnies and they can walk right over us.

They knew that we not only would we capitulate we wouldn't even get physical with them.

They walked away from that game with less bruises than they had when it started.

Agree! :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

We also need to be like this to everyone we play against.

He's played about 99% of games since he started. He's hardly the poster boy for feeling the selector's wrath.

We've very rarely dropped anyone for form, let alone a group of under-performing players. Our outs are usually minimal - only changes are due to injuries incurred or players returning from injury.

I would be genuinely be interested to know when was the last time we omitted 3 or more players for a game due to form.
And even when we finally have dropped blokes, we've never had the guts to nail the door shut and give them multiple chances to play again.

Porplyzia was cooked and we kept playing him. Same with Reilly, same with VB, we've avoided it so for with Thommo, but as the pressure increases they'll find it harder not to bring him back.

And I don't want to see us hire ANYONE who has some sort of previous connection to the club or anyone in it.

You're telling me the best dude available to run the footy department just happened to be the guy running thr fitness department who used to play for us (and got his fitness job after a disaster run with the Lions)

You're telling me the best dude to run our fitness department just happened to be the buddy of the head fitness dude who got catapulted into the head footy job?

You're telling me Pods, who just retired, was the best choice to be our defensive assistant?

You're telling me VB and Thommo are the best development coaches we could get?

And I don't want to see us hire ANYONE who has some sort of previous connection to the club or anyone in it.

You're telling me the best dude available to run the footy department just happened to be the guy running thr fitness department who used to play for us (and got his fitness job after a disaster run with the Lions)

You're telling me the best dude to run our fitness department just happened to be the buddy of the head fitness dude who got catapulted into the head footy job?

You're telling me Pods, who just retired, was the best choice to be our defensive assistant?

You're telling me VB and Thommo are the best development coaches we could get?
Our coaching appointments seem to have about as much integrity as Santo The Magnificent's choice of volunteers from the audience

He's played about 99% of games since he started. He's hardly the poster boy for feeling the selector's wrath. The opposite in fact.
Thats entirely my point. It has nothing to do with form and everything to do with how loud the general criticism is.

Mackay plays many bad games, but there's literal correlation between this, or the introduction of a better player, and him not playing the next week.

Port supporters aren't far off the mark when they call us customers cos clearly that's how the "club" is operating.
Zero carefactor in results onfield but major emphasis on commercial equity, business partners, membership numbers and brand protection.

We are treated as stakeholders not fans. It's all about saving face.

I don't give a s**t about the purchase of a ******* gaming team, I care about another premiership and seeing a rocket given to pricks who fail at their task. I want to see emotion from the coaches not the softcocks that pat the boys on the bum after a loss and give them a hug and say it'll be ok, we've got next week.

I'm sick of the same s**t happening week in week out.

We need to analyse other clubs that have done so and learn some lessons
Culture is a wank word like organic growth is a terrible turn of phrase.
If you want to fix our culture you have to define it, measure it, and improve what's not to standard. Good luck with defining it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back