How do you feel about Freo and the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't realise there was a term for it but I've actively tried to avoid this happening to me - the music part I mean. Always felt people who get stuck in time turn into old people earlier than they should.
Same, but new music - of the genres I dig - is crap.

There is a Spanish study that looks at timbral difference and what the "loudness wars" have done to contemporary music over the decades and the short answer is "****ed it" - https://www.nature.com/articles/srep00521

The tools used to create contemporary music have meant the palette is diminished. The compression and loudness have meant the range is diminished. It has become dumber, louder and more repetitive. Now, in theory that should really appeal to me (I am a drummer) but it doesn't.

But, my friendly Spaniard in the works, this isn't a problem because there is more to music than "contemporary Western popular" and there is still some good new s**t and there is a butt-ton of old music that I missed out on that is effectively new. You can still make discovery, you can still unearth.

And, the reality is, of course, that I am old.

What would make Sumich a better coach? Give us facts, not dem feels.

I dont want to turn it into a JLo bagging session because I really like the guy but to me he would have been an ideal assistant to Sumich as the front man for the club Sumich would have brought more supporters onboard and a bit of left field stuff that is so dearly loved down at Freo.
Unfortunately with JLo atm I feel we are getting more of the Ross vibes about him Sumich would have brought his own ideas and not given a rats what others thought of them desperately needed in the AFL where we flattening all personalities.

I dont want to turn it into a JLo bagging session because I really like the guy but to me he would have been an ideal assistant to Sumich as the front man for the club Sumich would have brought more supporters onboard and a bit of left field stuff that is so dearly loved down at Freo.
Unfortunately with JLo atm I feel we are getting more of the Ross vibes about him Sumich would have brought his own ideas and not given a rats what others thought of them desperately needed in the AFL where we flattening all personalities.
You're getting Ross vibes from JLo?

Think you'll struggle to get people taking you seriously from there.

Mainly defensive game plan ie boring game style.
Out of interest Joao do you work for the club?
You seem to get very defensive about their poor draft picks and other internal matters?

Yes, but Hagdorn, Hardie and Langdon are only three people. There would have been a mass exodus from the club if Sumich had got the job - and I'd be right out in front.

Mainly defensive game plan ie boring game style.
Out of interest Joao do you work for the club?
You seem to get very defensive about their poor draft picks and other internal matters?
How do you differentiate between poor execution and a defensive gameplan?

No. I think the giveaway is in my profile.

I get defensive (probably more triggered) about people making ridiculous claims they couldn't possibly know the answer to.

Yes, but Hagdorn, Hardie and Langdon are only three people. There would have been a mass exodus from the club if Sumich had got the job - and I'd be right out in front.

But the decision may have lost a few diehards on the way through yes but in the long term created a much bigger wider appeal for the club atm it feels a bit too boutique footy club for mine not appealing to many new supporters.

How do you differentiate between poor execution and a defensive gameplan?

No. I think the giveaway is in my profile.

I get defensive (probably more triggered) about people making ridiculous claims they couldn't possibly know the answer to.

We will see by the end of season how the gameplan is going I watched a Matthew Nicks interview in pre season where he was saying how important it is to have a defensive game plan maybe it is not as important as they think

We will see by the end of season how the gameplan is going I watched a Matthew Nicks interview in pre season where he was saying how important it is to have a defensive game plan maybe it is not as important as they think
What analysis have you done to decide this?

Also, why would you arbitrarily pick the end of the season? Do you not think we will improve past there?

But the decision may have lost a few diehards on the way through yes but in the long term created a much bigger wider appeal for the club atm it feels a bit too boutique footy club for mine not appealing to many new supporters.
Losing diehard supporters is what changes the character of a club, whether that is a good or a bad thing. If Sumich had broad appeal as a coach he would have got one of the many coaching jobs he has applied for. I think sometimes we mistake what is said in the media for reality.

I completely respect your feelings, but they are just your feelings. Nothing to do with what is really happening - we will have to wait a year or two for that to crystallise.

The club would know if Sumich would be a good AFL coach and the fact that he wasn't even in the running (despite what the *******s on 6PR will tell you) says a lot. He has applied for a lot of senior coaching positions and got none of them. That should tell you how he is thought of in AFL circles.

I think most coaches try and coach a "1 nil" win. They're s**t scared of getting blown away and sometimes it seems that they must focus more on that than on kicking or generating a winning score. Since the break, GC have looked the most attacking team by a mile from what I've seen but it is a very small sample size. I'm looking forward to this weeks game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club would know if Sumich would be a good AFL coach and the fact that he wasn't even in the running (despite what the *******s on 6PR will tell you) says a lot. He has applied for a lot of senior coaching positions and got none of them. That should tell you how he is thought of in AFL circles.

Mate you have far too much faith in managers when you get to my age you fully realise 90 per cent of them are no smarter than anyone else and nearly all of them are very risk averse and their first thought is not to put their own position at risk by making a decision outside the box.
This I can understand as everyone needs an income to feed themselves or family etc but it is the ones who can assess the risk and take it who can change the course of a company or club this is what we need if we are to become a big club and win premierships i did first think Peter Bell was an innovator who would try and change the status quo but as yet have seen no evidence.

Losing diehard supporters is what changes the character of a club, whether that is a good or a bad thing. If Sumich had broad appeal as a coach he would have got one of the many coaching jobs he has applied for. I think sometimes we mistake what is said in the media for reality.

I completely respect your feelings, but they are just your feelings. Nothing to do with what is really happening - we will have to wait a year or two for that to crystallise.

Not really we have already lost some diehard supporters I would think over the past 26 years circumstances change clubs and people evolve.
My vision for the Dockers was to be a club alongside Richmond, Collingwood and Carlton a big footy club more so than West Coast and Crows style but we are further than ever from that more of a GWS , Gold Coast maybe Port at least that is how we are viewed by opposition supporters.
Hope you are right with the next year or two will see what changes for us to compete.

Another crap season and again losing interest in watching any AFL match apart from the last two weeks of finals.

JLo has taken on a difficult role, where he will be subjected to unrealistic demands from supporters understandably sick of the team hovering near the foot of the table.

Corruption and favourtism shows up as problems in a lot of professional sporting codes and the AFL is not immune. At least it's not quite as bad as the NRL and the A League.

What is especially aggravating is we have only played 4 games and our season is basically over. All I want is a decent four quarter effort from the boys and they can't even deliver on that.

Leadership
Midfield
S&C

Those three areas are why we are wasting yet another season.

Despite our results, our performances say better than a 0-4 team. Really happy with the effort the boys had last night and just didn't have it in the tank to bring it home. A lot to be excited about in my opinion. Bewley and Schultz both stepped up this game after subpar games last week, Colyer played better but not by much. Serong and Young look to be good. Hogan slowly getting back into form. Hill showing positive signs. Sure we're losing, but I'm honestly not too negative about how we're going.

If JLO doesn’t have a game soon this will become a huge anchor around his neck. Just not feeling it.

The costly lapses which inevitably lead to losses are hard to stomach, but watching Young and Serong (and eventually Sturt/Henry/Valente/Frederick) should be enough to keep me invested throughout the year. With the season being so compromised I feel slightly more apathetic towards our ineptitude than I would normally.

With our injuries and 0-4 start we can forget finals. Plenty of reasons to watch though.

Young looks the goods. I'm bullish on Serong. I'm still bullish on Cerra, Cox and Brayshaw. Plenty of young talent coming through that'll get games. And we're not getting blown out of the water. If we can get things to click later this year or next year we'll get back to finals in 2021.

What's different now to me is that unlike most I actually recognise we're not playing too badly. Actually, considering all the circumstances around us, the rebuild, learning a new game plan, being away from home for over month, injuries to key players we're tracking pretty well...

...but we're already behind Gold Coast, Carlton, Brisbane, St. Kilda, Bulldogs, teams who will all be up and about during our next window with our current list structure. What last night showed me is that simply: We will never be able to close that gap with our current list. We'll be a good team...but we will be extremely hard pressed making up that ground with the talent at our disposal.

It's a completely new feeling despondent feeling: I know we'll eventually be a pretty bloody good team but that still won't matter. There's an extreme lack of hope for this next premiership cycle and it could be an extremely long time before we're a genuine chance again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back