How do you choose a sub?

Remove this Banner Ad

DocT

All Australian
Sep 4, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
I have assumed that the ideal sub is a versatile, running, 'Jack of all trades' type who could potentially fill lots of needs depending on personnel problems during the game.

I'm having second thoughts about this.

Freo already has a lot of on-ground versatility. So we don't necessarily need a sub to be versatile.

Perhaps the best sub would be chosen very specifically for each game and would address the question, 'Who in this week's opposition is most likely to take us apart?' What are our Plans B/C/D if this player gets away? The choice of sub would be the player who can maximally facilitate this 'Break Glass in Case of Emergency' scenario.

How do others approach the Pick a Sub question?

I agree with you Doc, and I think it's why we may see a Sturt over Hughes/Johnson despite the latter's versatility. We have at least 4/5 players (Aish / Chappy / Fyfe / JOM / Ryan) that can play multiple positions at a very high level. Great position to be in.

Assuming all fit, for mine I'd start with Sturt, as I think Johnson and Erasmus would be better served getting games into them in the WAFL. Really rough on a few though, tough team to break in to.

Reasoning being we gave players that can stem the bleeding, but not a lot of pure goal kickers for a hail mary finish.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

footlong rye
chicken classic
no cheese
not toasted
spinach, cucumber, capsicum, carrot, jalapenos, lots of pickles
southwest chipotle sauce
no salt, but lots of pepper
In the right forward pocket?

I agree with you Doc, and I think it's why we may see a Sturt over Hughes/Johnson despite the latter's versatility. We have at least 4/5 players (Aish / Chappy / Fyfe / JOM / Ryan) that can play multiple positions at a very high level. Great position to be in.

Assuming all fit, for mine I'd start with Sturt, as I think Johnson and Erasmus would be better served getting games into them in the WAFL. Really rough on a few though, tough team to break in to.

Reasoning being we gave players that can stem the bleeding, but not a lot of pure goal kickers for a hail mary finish.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep, Sturty could break upo the defensive structure and pinch a couple of goals.
On the other hand Higgins kicked 4 against us last year. Do we need a specific anti-Higgins armament?

Your name is Bailey Banfield. That's how.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

footlong rye
chicken classic
no cheese
not toasted
spinach, cucumber, capsicum, carrot, jalapenos, lots of pickles
southwest chipotle sauce
no salt, but lots of pepper
Fran Healy Laughing GIF by Travis

Bumped as indicated in the Preseason 2024 thread...

Thx pK75
206126.jpg
for this:

I don’t have the injury stats, but due to the change to tactical sub we activated it 100% of the time.
Here’s the list of players who came on as subs.
Erasmus 6
Johnson 4
Sturt 2
Walters 2
Stanley 2
Fyfe 2
Brodie 1
Banfield 1
Worner 1
Corbett 1
NOD 1

So it looks like we currently choose the sub according to these priorities:
1 Give the young-uns and newbies a crack.
2 Ease someone back in from injury

Banfield and Brodie are the only 2 that don't immediately fit one of those criteria.

While the above approach has some merit I think there are smarter and more effective ways to use a sub.
I'm still keen picking a sub based primarily on their capacity to execute a Team Plan B to counter a principal threat from that week's opposition.

Examples of this approach might be:
Oppo have strong tall forwards then our sub is a tall defender.
Oppo have dominant inside mids then our sub is an inside mid.
Oppo has a dominant individual player then our sub can cover the role of our Tagger B if our Tagger A fails.

Footlong wheat
Chicken classic
No cheese
Not toasted
Lots of spinach
Cucumbers
Capsicum
Lots of pickles
Jalapenos
Thin layer of south west Chipotle sauce
Lots of pepper

No cookies usually, but on the odd occasion the raspberry one & only one of them

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am leaning towards JOM to be sub round 1.

He played well yesterday. Vision through traffic is best 22 and skills are top 5 in the club. Probably won’t have as much match fitness as the others but you can’t leave him out of the best 23. So reckon he gets sub duties for the first few games. He played bit of wing yesterday, can play onball and fwd so has the versatility.

Footlong wheat
Chicken classic
No cheese
Not toasted
Lots of spinach
Cucumbers
Capsicum
Lots of pickles
Jalapenos
Thin layer of south west Chipotle sauce
Lots of pepper

No cookies usually, but on the odd occasion the raspberry one & only one of them

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Your first mistake is going to Subway. Find yourself a good continental deli.

I am leaning towards JOM to be sub round 1.

He played well yesterday. Vision through traffic is best 22 and skills are top 5 in the club. Probably won’t have as much match fitness as the others but you can’t leave him out of the best 23. So reckon he gets sub duties for the first few games. He played bit of wing yesterday, can play onball and fwd so has the versatility.
I don’t mind this idea, I believe if we’re going to be contenders this year our sub should be our next best player available, whether that’s JOM, Brodie, Ras, Switta or Simpson remains to be seen who we select in the starting 22.
Last year our 3 most impactful Subs were Walters, Brodie and Fyfe, all experienced players who had immediate impact. This should be our reasoning this year.
It’s nice for developing plays to get a taste of the top level, but not once in 6 games did I think Ras had an impact on the game, Johno was “why hasn’t he been on the whole game”.
I also don’t really like a forward as sub, Sturt, Banfield and Corbett were all fairly uneventful as sub.
While it’s nice for supporters to see the likes of Stanley and Worner at the higher level, I do think it’s better to give these guys full games like Wagner and Emmett got.

I don’t mind this idea, I believe if we’re going to be contenders this year our sub should be our next best player available, whether that’s JOM, Brodie, Ras, Switta or Simpson remains to be seen who we select in the starting 22.
Last year our 3 most impactful Subs were Walters, Brodie and Fyfe, all experienced players who had immediate impact. This should be our reasoning this year.
It’s nice for developing plays to get a taste of the top level, but not once in 6 games did I think Ras had an impact on the game, Johno was “why hasn’t he been on the whole game”.
I also don’t really like a forward as sub, Sturt, Banfield and Corbett were all fairly uneventful as sub.
While it’s nice for supporters to see the likes of Stanley and Worner at the higher level, I do think it’s better to give these guys full games like Wagner and Emmett got.
Good points all.
JOM as sub has many strengths.
Our mids are still relatively inexperienced. We need the experience/leadership of one of Fyfe/JOM in there or thereabouts I would have thought.
Fyfe will be physically targetted by the oppo because 1. He is so good. 2. He is structurally important to our mids. 3. He has physical vulnerabilities.
For all these reasons JOM makes very good sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back