Prediction Rd 1 (you know: the first round after the opening round) team

Remove this Banner Ad

ignoramus

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Too early to start making predictions with any confidence, I guess, and possibly tempting fate by doing so. But this is a more appropriate thread than the B23 one for posting the thought I had about that topic, so here we go...

Lot's of people thinking about who replaces Schultz, with Emmett a fan favourite, lots of salivating over Delean's natural forward chops, speculations that JOM may be pushed out of the mids and onto a flank, and even an apocryphal report that Simpson is a lock to fill the vacancy. One name that hasn't been mentioned — unsurprisingly — is Banfield, but given his history of semi-regular selection and the fact that when he got the chance to play small last season, he put in serviceable performances (at the very least), I'm thinking he is close to first in line for the spot.

Lock him into your predicted Rd 1 teams now, folks.

Too early to start making predictions with any confidence, I guess, and possibly tempting fate by doing so. But this is a more appropriate thread than the B23 one for posting the thought I had about that topic, so here we go...

Lot's of people thinking about who replaces Schultz, with Emmett a fan favourite, lots of salivating over Delean's natural forward chops, speculations that JOM may be pushed out of the mids and onto a flank, and even an apocryphal report that Simpson is a lock to fill the vacancy. One name that hasn't been mentioned — unsurprisingly — is Banfield, but given his history of semi-regular selection and the fact that when he got the chance to play small last season, he put in serviceable performances (at the very least), I'm thinking he is close to first in line for the spot.

https://media1.tenor.com/m/cJRcMyUAiMcAAAAC/ah-s**t-here-we-go-again-ah-s**t.gif

Round 1 side -

Ryan Pearce Clark
Aish Cox Chapman
Sharp Brayshaw Johnson
Frederick Jackson O'Meara
Walters Amiss Switkowski

Darcy Serong Young

Fyfe Treacy Erasmus Hughes Sturt

Round 1 side -

Ryan Pearce Clark
Aish Cox Chapman
Sharp Brayshaw Johnson
Frederick Jackson O'Meara
Walters Amiss Switkowski

Darcy Serong Young

Fyfe Treacy Erasmus Hughes Sturt
Like it, but I see enough height in the backline and would like like more run and flair. I'm dropping Hughes and bringing in Walker for the run. Maybe Wagner.

Otherwise unchanged.

Banfield was the first one Justin mentioned that's the biggest reason he should be put in our rd 1 teams. Most everyone else probably thinks it should be Emmett.

Lot's of people thinking about who replaces Schultz....One name that hasn't been mentioned — unsurprisingly — is Banfield, but given his history of semi-regular selection and the fact that when he got the chance to play small last season, he put in serviceable performances (at the very least), I'm thinking he is close to first in line for the spot.

B. Banfield was the first name out of JL's mouth when asked who would replace Schultz on an interview with Paps on 6PR this week.

Get used to it, kids. Banfield will be in the line up R1.

Here's the link to the melt thread for those who need it 😂😂😂: Roast - Vent Here

I've been pretty quiet round these parts lately but I just want to say I'm excited for the season to start. I'm not really interested in trying to predict these kinds of preseason speculative things like B22 or R1 team, but I think we take a big step forward and play finals again. I'm most looking forward to watching how the wing position shakes out, how dogga and hodor work together, Amiss kicking bags, Fyfe's role (or lack of a role) in the team, and Young's progression in the midfield. Our defense is set for the most part, so I think watching the mid and forwards gel will be fun. 😁:freo:

B. Banfield was the first name out of JL's mouth when asked who would replace Schultz on an interview with Paps on 6PR this week.

Get used to it, kids. Banfield will be in the line up R1.

Here's the link to the melt thread for those who need it 😂😂😂: Roast - Vent Here

I've been pretty quiet round these parts lately but I just want to say I'm excited for the season to start. I'm not really interested in trying to predict these kinds of preseason speculative things like B22 or R1 team, but I think we take a big step forward and play finals again. I'm most looking forward to watching how the wing position shakes out, how dogga and hodor work together, Amiss kicking bags, Fyfe's role (or lack of a role) in the team, and Young's progression in the midfield. Our defense is set for the most part, so I think watching the mid and forwards gel will be fun. 😁:freo:
Banfield divides fans and personally I'm in two minds.

Hard as a cat's head, heart of a Lion and mind of a sheep.

Defensively we get the same output as Schultz. Offensively, he is dangerous around goals but his skills and decision making is lacking.

Jackson and Darcy is exciting.

Fyfe seems to get his strength in shoulders back and breaking tackles.

Wings will be interesting to see how JL plays and what role they play. For me he coaches too conservative will won't take risks.

The forward and midfield mix is up in the air.

I’m most excited about the midfield mix we’re getting to see in these sims, both teams going with 2 larger mids (Fyfe and Johnson/Erasmus vs Brodie and Young) and a small (Serong vs Brayshaw).
We obviously won’t play all 7 in the middle each game, but it shows the intended setup we are trying to develop. With Erasmus spending time forward and Johnson on a wing we could get pretty close to playing them all in one game.
Haven’t been to any live sessions but sounds like JOM is not training with the mids, which pleases me no end.

As usual impossible to fit them all in at this time of year.

Of the wings the first pair that comes to mind for me is Sharp and Chapman
But I really like NOD and Stanley too. Some combo of those 4 seems likely.

The mids is a nightmare to pick. Bray, Caleb, Young were incumbent but face enormous pressure from Fyfe, Brodie, Johnson and Erasmus.

Backs pick themselves. Pearce, Ryan, Cox, Clark, Aish Walker (Hughes, Wagner, Worner, Draper, Davies)

Forwards who the hell knows. I'd say the certainties are Amiss, Walters, Frederick, Switta and then some permutation of Emmett, Banfield, Simpson, Sturt, Treacy, Tabs.

Jackson can do what he likes.

I don't have O'Meara in my best 22 but I'm sure the coaches do. I just can't see how you play him over the mids I've already named but maybe as a forward?

Ryan Pearce Clark
Aish Cox Wagner
Chapman Brayshaw Johnson
Walters Treacy Frederick
Switta Amiss Jackson
Darcy Young Serong
Fyfe Erasmus Emmett JOM
Em: Brodie Simpson Sturt Tabs

I like Walker but he is still in rehab group so will need a few weeks.
I also like Sharp, NOD and Stanley. So wouldn’t be surprised if either of those three push into starting wing and Chapman to bench pushing out Emmett.

One thing I forgot to add is it’s sounding like Simpson can really play we desperately need another classy, elusive forward who hits the board but he may need seasoning in the 2’s with a bigger, older body preferred initially.
I also think Emmett brought a real fearless, tough presence immediately when he played. He really changed the dynamic & had impact. Definitely deserves a shot early.

One thing I forgot to add is it’s sounding like Simpson can really play we desperately need another classy, elusive forward who hits the board but he may need seasoning in the 2’s with a bigger, older body preferred initially.
I also think Emmett brought a real fearless, tough presence immediately when he played. He really changed the dynamic & had impact. Definitely deserves a shot early.
Simpson (and Brodie) seem good options for the sub role. Really like what I’ve seen from Simpson - hard but with good skills on both sides of the body. Simpson being first year and playing high half forward even wing has versatility which suits the sub role. Also as you say will need good amount of game time at WAFL to condition his body for senior/league footy.

Brodie with reduced tank and high impact burst player also good option. Whereas Erasmus just didn’t seem a good fit. Erasmus has elite endurance (like Sharp) they will come into their own the longer a game goes.

Banfield divides fans and personally I'm in two minds.

Hard as a cat's head, heart of a Lion and mind of a sheep.

Defensively we get the same output as Schultz. Offensively, he is dangerous around goals but his skills and decision making is lacking.

Jackson and Darcy is exciting.

Fyfe seems to get his strength in shoulders back and breaking tackles.

Wings will be interesting to see how JL plays and what role they play. For me he coaches too conservative will won't take risks.

The forward and midfield mix is up in the air.
That conservative thinking really stands out in the picking of the leadership group with JOM and Switta.
They will play forward/mid but are they the best candidates long term?
If they don’t hit the scoreboard regularly it’s a conundrum.
It’s the same with Banfield and Fyfe, for me it’s a balancing act but with an
eye on the future.
Over playing Fyfe is a mistake but may save your job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That conservative thinking really stands out in the picking of the leadership group with JOM and Switta.
They will play forward/mid but are they the best candidates long term?
If they don’t hit the scoreboard regularly it’s a conundrum.
It’s the same with Banfield and Fyfe, for me it’s a balancing act but with an
eye on the future.
Over playing Fyfe is a mistake but may save your job.
With you on JOM & Switta but fit, confident Fyfe is still the best footballer on our list. If he’s marking & hunting the ball with confidence he’s still peerless.

Simpson (and Brodie) seem good options for the sub role. Really like what I’ve seen from Simpson - hard but with good skills on both sides of the body. Simpson being first year and playing high half forward even wing has versatility which suits the sub role. Also as you say will need good amount of game time at WAFL to condition his body for senior/league footy.

Brodie with reduced tank and high impact burst player also good option. Whereas Erasmus just didn’t seem a good fit. Erasmus has elite endurance (like Sharp) they will come into their own the longer a game goes.
Agreed on Simpson as a sub. Get him in & see if he’s one that just can play the level straight up. Take some chances FFS.

Erasmus apparently did exactly what you described in the most recent scratchie. Just worked harder & got better as the game wore on.

With you on JOM & Switta but fit, confident Fyfe is still the best footballer on our list. If he’s marking & hunting the ball with confidence he’s still peerless.
Definitely if fit, but he is 33 this year.
I like what Scott has done with Danger, a firing Fyfe later in the season and anything is possible.

Definitely if fit, but he is 33 this year.
I like what Scott has done with Danger, a firing Fyfe later in the season and anything is possible.
Couldn’t agree more, love everything I’m seeing and hearing of Fyfe so far in the preseason, but not going to get too excited unless we can manage his loads enough to ensure he’s still available at the end of the season, personally would go for the Fyfe/Brodie tag team for the sub role, play one for 2.5 quarters, swap them over. Alternate who starts based on how they feel during the week. Then reasses at the bye round for the second half of the year.

If JL stays fairly conservative (and whether we like it or not, he will!) our best 22 for Round 1 is likely to be based on experience over potential.

Injuries aside, looks something like:

Ryan Pearce Chapman
Aish Cox Clarke
Johnson Fyfe Young
Frederick Taberner Switkowski
Walters Amiss Jackson

Darcy Serong Brayshaw

Walker, Banfield, Erasmus

Int: Brodie (Fyfe out sometime from half time to mid three quarters)

Hard done-by players who so easily could be included:
Treacy, JOM, NOD, Sturt (have to say how bloody good is it to have the likes of these players not in our B22 for the start of the season!!!)

Then add in at least three on our list who have the potential to kick experienced B22ers out pretty early:
Sharp
Cooper
Wagner
Emmett

(And Hughes cause he provides perfect depth across all lines.)

(Is that 30 players at least who could readily be in our Best 22? Have we ever had such depth?)

Thoughts on JL selecting our team for Round 1 based on experience over performance during pre-season?

Last edited:
Ryan Pearce Walker
Aish Cox Clark
Sharp Fyfe NOD
Frederick Treacy Switta
Walters Amiss Jackson

Darcy Serong Brayshaw

Int: Young Johnson Banfield Wagner

EMG: Erasmus

Next on line: Hughes in defence, Sturt in attack

Can't see the new draftees getting a gamein the first month. I doubt Tabs gets a game unless Amiss or Treacy are woefully out of form or injured.

Any preseason training watchers have an opinion on Brodie? Haven't heard much about him this year.

Ryan Pearce Walker
Aish Cox Clark
Sharp Fyfe NOD
Frederick Treacy Switta
Walters Amiss Jackson

Darcy Serong Brayshaw

Int: Young Johnson Banfield Wagner

EMG: Erasmus

Next on line: Hughes in defence, Sturt in attack

Can't see the new draftees getting a gamein the first month. I doubt Tabs gets a game unless Amiss or Treacy are woefully out of form or injured.

Any preseason training watchers have an opinion on Brodie? Haven't heard much about him this year.
Surely Chapman gets a look in as intercept defender or 3rd wing (or combination of both)

Looking forward to seeing Johnson with another preseason under his belt. If he gets his average possessions up to 25 or so it'll be a huge bonus. High impact player.
Hell yeah.

I've liked how Longmuir has gone about developing him. Playing him on the wing will fast track his running game, and maybe support his attacking skills.

Plus I love that WC passed on him. A nice little bonus given he is exactly what they need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back