Autopsy Rd 1 - We Flog Brisbane, But at What Cost

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought Johnno had an average game, maybe went into his shell after that dumb ass rushed behind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He went to the backline in the last quarter and didn’t get a possession, before that he was ok, but not his best

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Questions I have from this game
1) How good could Worner be? Can he get to an Aish level best 22 in more sides type player without being a gun? Lets wipe off that Port preseason game as it was clearly irrelevant, he was very good all preseason and is clearly valued by the match committee and seems to have someone gotten faster and a better kick since he was drafted with what must be a fantastic work rate.
2) Without having facts to back this up, I would swear all of Treacy's best games are as a fwd/ruck. The rucking seems to get him a feel for the game. If he continues to build, how do we play it next year if we get McDonald (which we are clearly trying to do)?
3) How good can Fyfe be if he stays fit? Unreal ability to absorb and dish yesterday, literally would not pass it unless his player committed to tackle him and it made us so so much better
4) Can Pearce finally get that AA spot we've all known he was capable of? Said it all preseason he was back and it looks like the big fella is well and truly ready to be an absolute wall again

I think Kane Cornes has answered your question number 2) when he carries on about how 2 premium rucks is not ideal -
It’s obviously 3
Cornes is a mastermind….

I think a lot of people over rate Johnson on this board and after keeping tabs on him he seems to over rate himself also.
Really hope his talent level can catch up to his belief in himself.
Having a rough game doesn't make Johnson overrated. He has a wide range between his best and worst, but his best is brilliant. He's also playing out of his best role.
You don't have a guy like Nat Fyfe singing your praises if you don't deserve them.

I thought Emmett really added something. The pressure looks good in the forward half. The holding the ball moment wasn’t great but his eyes lit up big time as he saw the open goal, which I really like.
Emmett performed to a 'Schultz' level, I thought, just minus some goals. If he keeps it up he'll hit the scoreboard too.

Nah they both stay.
Johnson struggled when JL moved him forward so if anything Johnson and Erasmus may be swapped next week.
Emmett was fine yesterday.

I was only responding to a post where someone said Banfield goes out for Simpson next week. I was pointing out that Banfield played way better than Emmett, but I agree nobody goes out

My calculations are minimum of 23 metres based on the 9m cuts of grass.

It's a real annoyance of mine. The umpires are incompetent when it comes to measuring distances. The amount of 10m kicks paid as marks is terrible. They also usually get the 50m penalties way wrong.

There was a game against the Bulldogs a few years ago when the guy kicking out from a point ran all the way to the 50m arc without bouncing the ball (while zig zagging and dodging people) and no whistle. The Carlton-Brisbane final, I think the first goal (?) was a Carlton player gathering at the 50m and running to the goal line with one bounce. It's not good enough and something needs to be done about it.
My issue is would he have gotten away with this if we were only 5 points up at that point, or was it just very poor umpiring. Watching on the replay it appears the umpires were just not concentrating, as if they were expecting the final siren to go.

My man Cyclone is about to take the league by storm
I have been batting for my buddy for ages now so I'm glad he's starting to put it together. To share ruck duties and kick 3, nearly 4 goals is pretty special. How good was that spear tackle in the forwardline! Excited to see what he can produce this season.

1. always been a fan of worner, people writing him off after two games were ridic
2. get treacy at that tomahawk level fwd 50 throw in beast please
3. was great, still maybe bit a bit too much than he can chew but shows how valuable he still is to us - also was so close to taking a classic fyfe mark up forward at one point
4. unreal his performance compared to most of last year, what a massive differnece that will make to our season - very happy for him!
I felt so sick and tearful when Worner went down - I struggled to enjoy the game for ages after that. I am glad the team used it to inspire them instead of giving up. Moments like that can be huge mental turning points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incidentally guys - I went to the game yesterday and the first 20 minutes of the first quarter sucked. But from that time you could see the team fixing up structures and composing themselves, and for the last 10 minutes of the first quarter we were competing and starting to turn the screws beginning from stoppage play. Had no doubt we would win the game from that point onwards, watching the way we applied pressure around the ground. Brisbane were at sea, and the only thing that allowed them back in were our injuries and needing to adjust on the fly

I point this out because the amount of gnashing of teeth in the early posts on the game day thread show how fragile some supporters can be. One swallow doesn't make a summer ;) We aren't as bad as people seem to want to believe we are, and we aren't top 4 good yet either. But asking for JLo to be fired after 20 minutes of one game when our opposition is coming off a loss, and had a sighter of game day pressure is a bit rich :p
I was at the game too. Even when we were 4 goals down I could see how fit and determined we were. Brisbane had already had a match before us, to iron out nerves and to get to see how their game plans worked in reality. You could also see they were trying to direct play to the shaded end of the ground (to preserve themselves until there was more shade).

#CoachTreacy

Who knows. By the end of his career, that may be his path. Seems to communicate and point a lot, but then again, I see lots of our guys doing that at different times.
I do recall Josh being one of the loudest at the sessions tho.
but he comes across as not being very intelligent?

Treacy will be up and down as much as we want him to be consistent. 21 year old kpf.

Pass mark would be 30 goals if he's rucking for most of the year, maybe aim higher if Darcy comes back soon.

Luke Ryan VERY unsung. I specifically watched him for a chunk in the 2nd half when he was cramping up and was belting it down the line and the ball kept coming back to his area and you could see he was battling that cramp but still had to be accountable and still pulled out a sprint to try and smother. I battle cramp a lot and could not fathom doing that lol.

I had a look at the All Australian week by week side on the main board and there was some love for Luke Ryan (and Caleb Serong)

It seems Ryan has admirers from other clubs.

Treacy will be up and down as much as we want him to be consistent. 21 year old kpf.

Pass mark would be 30 goals if he's rucking for most of the year, maybe aim higher if Darcy comes back soon.
30 goals if he's rucking regularly would be very, very good.
There seems to be a common thought that 30 or 40 goals is just an average season when really it's a very decent amount of goals.

From 2023 as a sample, the closest to forward rucks I could pick out with varying degrees of 'ruck';
Mason Cox (17)
Riley Thilthorpe (18)
Hayden McLean (21)
Luke Jackson (22)
Charlie Dickson (23)
Levi Casboult (24)
Rory Lobb (24)

I originally had Jeremy Finlayson (38), Tom Hawkins (49) and Joe Daniher too (61), but all had 60 or less hitouts.

Yeah it’s bc they just look at his stats. But credit where credits due he was very good last night
It was his best kicking game in some time. Those long bombs to packs are unavoidable at times but he looked for the other option/s and hit them multiple times yesterday.

He had eight score involvements from 33 disposals yesterday. Doesn't look high but at times last year him getting 3 score involvements from that many disposals looked borderline impossible.

Games like that are what have made me so annoyed at him in the past. He's a good kick (not elite, just good) but was wasting it on sh** long bombs. Not yesterday though.

I’m guessing there was nothing to answer for with Fyfe and Walters for a couple of innocuous incidents yesterday?

I thought they were unfairly highlighted by Fox and there was nothing in them, can’t find anything from the MRO about them

Edit: fine for Sonny, nothing for Fyfe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back