Prediction Rd 1 (you know: the first round after the opening round) team

Remove this Banner Ad

Bro it's his second season. By all reports he had a strong preseason so let's leave last year behind and give him the opportunity to show us what he's got.

View attachment 1927904
It’s his third season actually. He was also an overager so he’s actually 22 in June.
I agree with others he’s shown very little and can’t understand why he’s in contention for a spot ahead of Walker who has been playing for a month now as Docker82 pointed out.

If we name Banfield in the 22 tomorrow and Erasmus is left out I will actually vomit. Let’s hope they see sense and not do that

It’s his third season actually. He was also an overager so he’s actually 22 in June.
I agree with others he’s shown very little and can’t understand why he’s in contention for a spot ahead of Walker who has been playing for a month now as Docker82 pointed out.

If we name Banfield in the 22 tomorrow and Erasmus is left out I will actually vomit. Let’s hope they see sense and not do that
People still give Sturt a chance when he’s done nothing and is in year 6. Let Worner play at least a dozen games before writing him off. It’s obvious Walker isn’t match fit yet after a serious injury and Wagner is injured so who are our other options?

the most amusing this on this board in preseason was people who thought Cooper Simpson had a realistic chance of playing in round 1.
When it comes to selection Longmuir is the most safe cautious and conservative coach I think I’ve ever seen in the AFL.
This is man who didn’t play Caleb Serong till round 5 on this first season, one of the most AFL-ready draftees of the last 25 years to arrive at any club (who promptly proved it by winning the NAB rising star in 12 games of footy).

the most amusing this on this board in preseason was people who thought Cooper Simpson had a realistic chance of playing in round 1.
When it comes to selection Longmuir is the most safe cautious and conservative coach I think I’ve ever seen in the AFL.
This is man who didn’t play Caleb Serong till round 5 on this first season, one of the most AFL-ready draftees of the last 25 years to arrive at any club (who promptly proved it by winning the NAB rising star in 12 games of footy).
But then he'll pull something out of a hat like Logue forward or Jye in for a final after not playing for half a year and hell, maybe even Cox up forward to play McDonald and you scratch your head.

Seems to specifically be more a thing about young players tbh. I am completely confused as to what they were doing with that Port scratchy because Simpson was clearly preferred over several other mainstays

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But then he'll pull something out of a hat like Logue forward or Jye in for a final after not playing for half a year and hell, maybe even Cox up forward to play McDonald and you scratch your head.

Seems to specifically be more a thing about young players tbh. I am completely confused as to what they were doing with that Port scratchy because Simpson was clearly preferred over several other mainstays
I would have hoped one of the benefits of giving JL an extra year would be that he now has the breathing room to get a bit bolder and back in a guy like Simpson who by all accounts has been well ahead of the likes of Banfield this summer. But no.

If you said to me 4 or 5 years ago that Banfield and Hughes would still be getting named in the 22 or even the 26, half a decade later I would have laughed in your face. Yet here we are. Depressing state of affairs.

The messaging in pressers around Simpson told us he wasn't playing round 1 but to expect to see him this year. That's what it sounded like to me anyway. He'll play 10+
Yeah it seems every time anyone was asked about him debuting round 1 they’d say the same thing about now impressive he is and how he’s put in all the work but then they’d follow it up by saying Freddy will be back which says he’s close but not yet

Opening round irked me because all of the claimed benefits just weren't there.
NRL was already back in Australia, so it wasn't "clear air".

I'm making an assumption they couldn't start the whole season then because of other ground availability.

Then when you look at the fixture you'd hope opening round teams could play each other in Round 1, or at the very least teams that play an opening round team first up then get one of the others after their early bye.
But no that doesn't happen either, I'm sure it's too complex for scheduling :rolleyes:

Anyways end rant, I don't usually get too fussed around the little disadvantages or "Vic bias" but this one annoys me as it is lobbed on top.

For the record as 4 of the opening round teams are indeed playing each other this only affects;
North Melbourne (v Giants)
Adelaide (v Suns)
Western Bulldogs (v Melbourne)
Fremantle (v Brisbane)

All of those 4 except North are in the same boat, we play an opening round team in R1 and don't get any benefits later (*ignoring Gather Round for Adelaide here).
North play Carlton after their early bye, so there's a small benefit back.

The other teams to get a small benefit are Collingwood as they play Brisbane, Port as they play Collingwood and Suns as they play Sydney.
Suns & Giants and Melbourne & Richmond play each other after their early bye.

I hope he doesn't play.

This looks to be square peg, round hole.
Nah I’m all for forward Cox, legit creative up there. I’m exited for the game again. OMac must have really impressed and I’m glad the lack of form of the others hasn’t been missed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back