How has Port Adelaides membership grown so much?

Remove this Banner Ad

raymond35

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood vfl
I am amazed at the way Ports crowds and membership have risen so quickly under Kochies reign.
We were led to believe that non Port supporters in SA all hated Port Adelaide so where have all these people come from? Is it a new generation of supporters who just choose either of the SA afl teams, or was there some huge number of fans hidden away who never went to the footy before?

They sell plenty of 3 game memberships, so have more different people attending their games compared to the Crows who have majority as full game members.

Hence Crows average crowds are larger & no significant drop off when team is playing poorly.

Also, Port memberships are significantly cheaper than Crows memberships for the same seats.

Give kochie & KT their dues, they upped members, assisted by new Adelaide Oval... but can they maintain it in the long term?

I actually thought it might be a testament to the fertility of Port supporters. I believe they are mostly born into Port supporting families traditionally. That said I do know some gen y Soulth Australians that support the Crows with Port as a second club.

Marketing has been monumentally different under Thomas and Koch- it has encouraged a lot more young people and converted supporters to attend games (families who didn't necessarily go to games prior to the Adelaide oval game). In addiiton, their gameday experience is excellent and has an excellent buildup surrounding the stadium, the Adelaide Oval shift has worked wonders, the team has genuinely exciting players to watch (Wines, Wingard and Gray), certainty regarding the future of the club and there has been less negative media reporting surrounding the club.

Some of the negative press that Port Adelaide got in SA was very scary and I think many supporters fell into the trap of reacting to ridiculous headlines. This one shows just how bad the reporting got and also how worrying things became.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...t/news-story/15f6029b3c7d52c30ff4c86ba3cec935

PORT Adelaide has been issued an ultimatum by the AFL: Shape up or ship out.
The Sunday Mail understands the struggling club has been told by the AFL and the SANFL there will be no more welfare after 2013, the last year of a $9 million rescue package - after which the club will need to stand on its own two feet.

The club could effectively be on its last legs by the time of the shift to Adelaide Oval - during the 2014 season or in 2015.

In a meeting between AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou, AFL commission chairman Mike Fitzpatrick, SANFL president John Olsen and Port Adelaide president Brett Duncanson mid-year, the club was told how grave the situation had become.

"You can't come back for another lick," Demetriou told them.

Those articles are a thing of the past now and the club has attracted excellent talent both on and off the field.

This one is probably a bit strange, but I think having a very good guernsey has played a part. The club's identity is very strong in black and many fans can better relate to the club, compared to when they were changing their identity, focus colours and guernsey every couple of seasons.

Starting 20 years ago with a sanfl based club was going to put off abiut 3/4ths of adelaides population

With the nationalisation of the comp and younger generation its more likely to support port with no real allegiance to SANFL clubs.
Which kinda makes the offense at people calling them the Port Power a bit irrational. I think everyone gets they were born from the Magpies, but still.
Anyway one of my new years resolutions is to put approx 49 years years of sporting hatred behind me and acknowlege their right to exist. Supporting the Giants has taught me how offensive it is when someone denies your clubs right to exist.
I agree with others I think the future of SA football is 2 AFL clubs competing for support amongst a younger generation, and I will now have a moment of quiet contemplation for the demise of the SANFL.

We were led to believe that non Port supporters in SA all hated Port Adelaide so where have all these people come from?

People here stopped giving a s**t about old SANFL rivalries a fair while ago I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you get the history at all?

Yes, and I'm old enough and perceptive enough to realist that that's what it is to most people now - history.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that the SANFL probably doesn't really mean a great deal to anyone under the age of 25.
Yeah but that only usually applies when a team is winning

I'd say they would have had a fair few jump on in 2013 and 2014. 2015 was meant to be "just a blip", while 2016 was a reality check. Will be interesting to see if they stick through 2017 and beyond, especially if Port don't improve.

Yes, and I'm old enough and perceptive enough to realist that that's what it is to most people now - history.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that the SANFL probably doesn't really mean a great deal to anyone under the age of 25.

I'd say they would have had a fair few jump on in 2013 and 2014. 2015 was meant to be "just a blip", while 2016 was a reality check. Will be interesting to see if they stick through 2017 and beyond, especially if Port don't improve.
Fair enough
I guess I'm a bit surprised you think only people under 25 matter. You're right though in the sense that generation os the future.

Fair enough
I guess I'm a bit surprised you think only people under 25 matter. You're right though in the sense that generation os the future.

I never said they're the only people that matter, but they do make up a significant part of the fanbase of footy these days. Like it or not, there's basically a whole generation for whom the SANFL has been the second-rate league in town since birth.

Even among those who are old enough to remember the pre-Power and pre-Crows days, the SANFL is a lot less significant nowdays. Anyone who considers the Port Magpies "hateable" or a "threat" these days is strongly stuck in the '80s I'd think.

Last edited:
I never said they're the only people that matter, but they do make up a significant part of the fanbase of footy these days. Like it or not, there's basically a whole generation for whom the SANFL has the second-rate league in town since birth.

Even among those who are old enough to remember the pre-Power and pre-Crows days, the SANFL is a lot less significant nowdays. Anyone who considers the Port Magpies "hateable" or a "threat" these days is strongly stuck in the '80s I'd think.

Actually the first SANFL game I remember was the late 60's. You misread my post I think. I also doubt there are many on BF who would agree there isn't feeling between the SA sides, and dismissing it is denying reality.
Your point of view is valid though but I do think you need to consider the views of others. But like I said it is the younger suporters who will determine the future.

Actually the first SANFL game I remember was the late 60's. You misread my post I think. I also doubt there are many on BF who would agree there isn't feeling between the SA sides, and dismissing it is denying reality.
Your point of view is valid though but I do think you need to consider the views of others. But like I said it is the younger suporters who will determine the future.

I'm not denying there's feeling between the Crows and Power, I just don't think past SANFL rivalries or support is the main reason for it now or has that much to do with it anymore. I could be wrong, but it's just the sense I get from living in SA and knowing people who support both local AFL sides.

I'm not denying there's feeling between the Crows and Power, I just don't think past SANFL rivalries or support is the main reason for it now or has that much to do with it anymore. I could be wrong, but it's just the sense I get from living in SA and knowing people who support both local AFL sides.
Fair enough
I actually dont, I live in Sydney.. I have some connections there still. Ultimately I think we agree the younger gen have a different perspective. Sadly like racism some things have to be bred out I think. The future is definitely brighter without old predjudice, that's why I'm trying to let it go.

Moving from a piece of s**t oval at Westlakes with crap public transport to arguably the best stadium in Aus with great PT access has 5000 times more to do with it than anything that backwards hick Kochie has done.

Moving from a piece of s**t oval at Westlakes with crap public transport to arguably the best stadium in Aus with great PT access has 5000 times more to do with it than anything that backwards hick Kochie has done.

Notwithstanding the usual dogshit herd mentality of bashing Koch and that the tide started to turn the year before moving across, playing at a top class venue in a great location obviously helped enormously to build on that momentum.

From the commencement of their regime at the end of 2012 to 2014 Thomas and Koch were outstanding at leading the club so that it was in tune with existing members and building up an intangibly cool brand that made others want to get on board. Our fan interaction through all mediums (physical base at Alberton, gameday experience, footy media, online, social media etc.) was absolutely top of the class during that period. Once on field results started to deviate from the talk, the bells and whistles lost their shine and the credibility from the supporter base that generates that external intangible goodwill.

We pushed on with the openly loud strategy right through the struggles of 2015 and leading into 2016 as it was what worked so well in the preceding years, but as mentioned once there is a gap between what you promise and what you deliver you lose the goodwill (from everyone, not just supporters). I note we've taken a different approach going into this year being a lot quieter about things which I think is the right thing to do in the circumstances.

The match day experience provided by Adelaide Oval is something that can be sold pretty much regardless of team performance, so I don't think there will be a huge drop off after the scars of a pretty bleak couple of seasons. Obviously I'm bias, but I still think the group of players & coaches we've got is capable of pushing back into the top four so there's still reason for optimism.

A few things.

1. Pre AFL fanbase.
  • Port Adelaide's home games (excluding double headers which the SANFL used to puff up figures) when hosted at Football Park instead of Alberton could pull above 30,000.
    • 1990 Round 2 - 36,397
    • 1981 Round 22 - 35,213
    • 1983 Round 11 - 33,342
    • 1985 Round 4 - 31,797
    • 1977 Round 4 - 32,395
  • Port Adelaide's largest SANFL crowds
    • 8/10 SANFL
    • 2x over 60,000
  • Largest average SANFL home crowds for all but one season between 1970 - 1990.
2. Transfer of fanbase to AFL
  • Port Adelaide's average home crowds in 1997, its first year in the AFL was...
    • 1997 - 35,828 average / 4th in AFL.
  • Port Adelaide's membership in 1997 (audited)
    • 35,809 members
3. Comparison to 2016
  • 2016 Average attendance - 39,665 / 4th in AFL
  • 2016 Membership - 53,743
4. Independence from SANFL

A few things.

1. Pre AFL fanbase.
  • Port Adelaide's home games (excluding double headers which the SANFL used to puff up figures) when hosted at Football Park instead of Alberton could pull above 30,000.
    • 1990 Round 2 - 36,397
    • 1981 Round 22 - 35,213
    • 1983 Round 11 - 33,342
    • 1985 Round 4 - 31,797
    • 1977 Round 4 - 32,395
  • Port Adelaide's largest SANFL crowds
    • 8/10 SANFL
    • 2x over 60,000
  • Largest average SANFL home crowds for all but one season between 1970 - 1990.
2. Transfer of fanbase to AFL
  • Port Adelaide's average home crowds in 1997, its first year in the AFL was...
    • 1997 - 35,828 average / 4th in AFL.
  • Port Adelaide's membership in 1997 (audited)
    • 35,809 members
3. Comparison to 2016
  • 2016 Average attendance - 39,665 / 4th in AFL
  • 2016 Membership - 53,743
4. Independence from SANFL

They've all gone quiet after this truth bomb!

The move to AO has been huge for them no doubt. Don't think they would have the same numbers if they were at FP.
They have one of the best value and cheapest memberships going around and if I was interested in going to the AFL every second week in Adelaide I'd definitely buy one. As someone else also said, I think they have a large amount of 3 game memberships which suits a lot of people these days. Don't think we will ever see them get back to the dark days crowd wise but would expect some drop off if there are lean years just like everyone else

Remove this Banner Ad

Back