Moved Thread How the northern academies are transforming footy

Remove this Banner Ad

:thumbsu: good approach but whats the time frame on the developing State academies, & what is the thinking behind that time frame, knee jerk reactions to Isaac Heeney (drafted 2014) & Callum Mills (2015 draft) .... their success drives the whingers, 2016/17 anyone (pardon my ignorance?)

NGAs :thumbsdown::thumbsdown: spot on, schmozzle SNAFU: have not had enough time to produce IMHO yet clubs are being given priority as window dressing for the virtue signallers. A totally worthless restriction on the draft pool.

As I posted a few posts above, I'd put a limit on the total points each club gets as discount, which could pretty much be repurposed this way.

Take the average discount NSW/QLD clubs have had for the past 5(?) years and that's what they get, all other clubs get the average used on FS picks....Phase out the difference by dropping that number by, say, 5% each year until they get to the same level other clubs average for FS picks.

As mentioned, points can carry over from year to year, so any club that.

All clubs, if they have a particularly bad run with FS picks and thus bank enough points to cross a certain threshold (obviously this would apply more to GC/GWS as they need sufficient players to breed and those kids to grow up), then they can be used on state academy players (no club alignment, all eligible clubs bid).

For everybody else (which should be well over 90% of players), it's the draft.

Not really, you are trying to take away something that benefits someone else.

I'm just pointing out that one man's advantage is another man's tradition, as has been pointed out to me on numerous occasions.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Considering I made allowance for all clubs to share in the advantage the tradition provides (assuming you mean FS, which applies to 16/18 clubs already), while you just want more and more and more to go to your club to the e xclusion of all others, I'm not seeing the similarity.

On SM-J530Y using BigFooty.com mobile app

Considering I made allowance for all clubs to share in the advantage the tradition provides (assuming you mean FS, which applies to 16/18 clubs already), while you just want more and more and more to go to your club to the e xclusion of all others, I'm not seeing the similarity.

On SM-J530Y using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes because the Victorians don't have enough advantages over the northern states. Why not hand over the 1 or 2 advantages we get as well to your lot.

F/S I can handle as a tradion(but please don't push that narrative about it being fair. That's a laugh)

I'm all or fairness though.

As I've said elsewhere make a national under 18s so as all states get the same development,
Cap 3rd party payments so clubs in certain states are only able to pay outside the cap as much as others
And
Share the grand final so everyone gets a shot at seeing one with breaking the bank.

Equality im all for. Just not picky about stuff that my club does or doesn't get unlike a select few.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Short term academies are good long term they are not good.

What I mean by that is in the short term they have expanded the talent pathway’s in both markets and helped deliver more players on AFL lists that’s a big tick

Long term as participation grows in those markets having 4 academies for more than half the nations population is not enough and will hold the game back.

In both states they should be looking at areas for potential expansion and creating more academies so more kids get an opportunity at a higher level. The game may not be ready for it just yet but if the AFL has a vision in these states they will out grow two academies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back