Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Strikes me that as tassie is not producing a lot of AFL players these days, they cant go the WA or SA plan, and the Gold coast GWS strategy was flawed as well (not to mention GWS got 2 strong drafts and GCS got just one which was weak as well

GWS got arguably about 16 first round picks over two years. GCS got about 8 in one year but there was pre-listing over a couple of years for both franchises

GWS then formulated a strategy to keep recycling their players and have been well represented in first rounds since. its been successful and probably should be formalised for any new team

In terms of first round picks, it would be better for a new team to have 16 first round selections over 4 years (4 per year), or have 3 in first and 3 in second over a 4-5 year period, than have them all concentrated in one or two drafts which could turn out to be duds.
thereafter just have the first pick each round

Limits on how many can be traded, or also have free agency type picks with compensation for 'donor' clubs

I would actually consider giving them all access to the best Vic Country kids over a 2 or 3 year period. Then obviously they would get a few top 10 picks in the year they are entering, but I feel like the country kids would be easier to retain in smaller towns like Hobart and would form a close bond whilst not killing the top ends of the draft quite as much. I'd also give them access to the top 5 state league players before any other club gets to pick those, plus obviously any Tasmania players as part of their academy.

I think that strangely, the most important aspect ignored for GWS was to ensure there are players to delist each year.
I would like to see the new team get less first round picks than gws, but more 2nd rounders.

Perhaps their Premier is intending to play, forever being photographed on a football oval holding a football, sometimes even doing a handball or a kick.

Perhaps their Premier is intending to play, forever being photographed on a football oval holding a football, sometimes even doing a handball or a kick.

He was actually a pretty fair footballer in his day. Played for North Launceston, with a stint in the WAFL.

So he actually played & likes footy & understands it, better than most pollies who suck up to AFL clubs.

Precedent been set by GWS on how to utilise the AFL concessions, which is to draft some talent but also to trade some picks for semi decent players with potential.

Otherwise if you go further back to when the Bears, Dockers, Eagles, Power, etc came into the league, teams could have 1 player outside their best 22 to jump ship and help the team out (perhaps some sort of special free agency rule), on top of their draft picks.

The model I would use to build a new team is an expansion draft.

It would be the quickest way to build a competitive team without the need to compromise the draft for a decade and having Tasmania get beaten by 15 goals every week for the first 4 years.

For those who don't know how an expansion draft works, essentially every team 'protects' a certain number of players on their list and everyone else goes into the draft of which the new team can select 1 from each club.

You can add in additional protections to say everyone over 29 and under 21 automatically can't be chosen.

So for most teams that would leave around 25 players, of which you could protect a certain amount.

The end outcome would be every team would lose one of their best 22, but not someone who is a star.

I went through it for Sydney with a couple of different examples. With more protections, I had Tasmania taking Hayden McLean or Sam Wicks. With lighter protections, it was Ollie Florent.

Obviously there would be issues around contracts and bonuses for players who get chosen that would have to be worked through - so the players actually agree to it. This would be the hardest part but it is not like they wouldn't have years to negotiate.

In addition, I would give Tasmania the entire state for 3 years prior to entering the comp. They wouldn't participate in the National Draft until after their first season besides getting any Tasmanian kids for free. They would have the exact same salary cap (excluding any bonuses for players taken in the expansion draft).

I don't mind the Leigh montagna and Buckley idea of cutting the lists to 35. That gives 180 AFL players previously on lists as available, Tasmania should have first access to choose who they want from that list. Then on top of that of course have their own state as their zone, then the first 3 picks of each round of the draft and the best 5 Vic country players.

This is a little out there but here we got.

1. Have access to the top 5 players County Victoria per year for 3 years. Reduce go home factor.
2. Excluded from the draft for 3 years due to point 1.
3. Free access to Tasmania for 5 years.
4. Uncontracted players are considered free agents for the first 2 years.
5. Maximum of 2 uncontracted per opposition team.
6. Tasmania has exclusive access to Ireland for 5 years.
7. Free access to mature aged players for 3 years.
8. Have access to delisted free agents.
9. Access to retired players who has been out of the league for at least a year.
10. Access to Code jumpers.

The idea is to try to develop a team that consists of Tasmanian, Irish and Country Vic players to reduce the go home factor.

The Tasmania team are free to get a competitive team straight away without killing the future as their ladder position won’t affect their access to Country Vic kids.

The model I would use to build a new team is an expansion draft.

I suggested something similar in one of the other Tassie threads, but I soon realised that if you allow clubs to choose who is and is not restricted, then it opens the door up to clubs playing funny buggers by putting only the players they believe to be the biggest flight risk on the restricted list, rather than the players they might see as the most important. From a Melbourne point of view, for example, we might decide that Max Gawn is no chance of leaving, so we put him on the unrestricted list, while deciding the Sam Weideman will want to leave for more opportunity, so we put him on the restricted list even though he's obviously a much less valuable player.

I think the best way to do an expansion draft is to tie it to something objective like salary. Namely, the 18 highest-paid players and all under 21 players are off limits, but the remaining senior listed players are available. Those numbers could be tweaked depending on how fair it looks, but that system would give Tassie access to around 12 players from each team who are also the most likely to be motivated by money and opportunity to leave.

With draft picks, I would grant Tassie some picks that cannot actually be used, but which can only be traded. This will result in Tassie inevitably overpaying for certain players, because they have to offload the picks somehow, but it will make it much easier for them to attract decent players with no cost to themselves. Again from a Melbourne point of view, we might try to prevent someone like James Harmes from leaving under normal circumstances, but if Tassie come waving pick 10 in our faces (which is more than Harmes would be worth ordinarily) then we'd be more willing to let him go. It would both help and motivate Tassie to get a bunch of decent senior players on the team, rather than being forced to go into the season with ten 18 year-olds who may not even want to be there long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suggested something similar in one of the other Tassie threads, but I soon realised that if you allow clubs to choose who is and is not restricted, then it opens the door up to clubs playing funny buggers by putting only the players they believe to be the biggest flight risk on the restricted list, rather than the players they might see as the most important. From a Melbourne point of view, for example, we might decide that Max Gawn is no chance of leaving, so we put him on the unrestricted list, while deciding the Sam Weideman will want to leave for more opportunity, so we put him on the restricted list even though he's obviously a much less valuable player.

I think the best way to do an expansion draft is to tie it to something objective like salary. Namely, the 18 highest-paid players and all under 21 players are off limits, but the remaining senior listed players are available. Those numbers could be tweaked depending on how fair it looks, but that system would give Tassie access to around 12 players from each team who are also the most likely to be motivated by money and opportunity to leave.

With draft picks, I would grant Tassie some picks that cannot actually be used, but which can only be traded. This will result in Tassie inevitably overpaying for certain players, because they have to offload the picks somehow, but it will make it much easier for them to attract decent players with no cost to themselves. Again from a Melbourne point of view, we might try to prevent someone like James Harmes from leaving under normal circumstances, but if Tassie come waving pick 10 in our faces (which is more than Harmes would be worth ordinarily) then we'd be more willing to let him go. It would both help and motivate Tassie to get a bunch of decent senior players on the team, rather than being forced to go into the season with ten 18 year-olds who may not even want to be there long term.

There are different ways you could handle the expansion scenario and how restrictions would work. Personally, I think tying to salary would cause a lot of chaos and confusion (clubs restructuring contracts etc ...). Easier just to say you can protect x amount of players, and that is it.

The Gawn/Weideman scenario doesn't really work. Players who aren't protected wouldn't have a choice about whether they leave or not. They all go into the draft and can be taken by Tasmania. If Gawn was unrestricted, he would be heading down to Tas.

They did the pick scenario with GWS and the mini draft, and they just ended up trading them for more picks because no players wanted to go there. It didn't work.

I think the expansion draft with each club losing one player in the best 15-22 range would be the best way to do it. Main issue would be getting the players to agree without it costing a ridiculous amount of money.

Wouldn't an expansion draft need to be signed off by the AFLPA as it is signing away employee rights (similar to what they have done with the National Draft)? The AFL can't just introduce something like this. I think this is the issue that will ultimately prevent an expansion draft.

I have no idea what the best option is. Whatever happens, this needs to be built over a number of years, including mid-season drafts. Both Gold Coast and GWS followed similar paths for a reason and I feel it is due to being able to circumvent the AFLPA.

I think the key is get a mix of senior leaders and talented young kids. Gold Coast failed because they didn't get the leaders right and you could argue that GWS were too talented (too much individual brilliance, but not enough good character role players).

Firstly a couple of provisions designed to get as many Tasmanians on the list as possible:
  • All uncontracted Tasmanians should be free agents for the club the first time they come out of contract after the club's admission into the league.
  • Free access to all Tasmanian draftees for the first three years, with academy bidding rules applied after that.
And to build the list:
  • All uncontracted non-Tasmanian players should be free agents for the first three years with a limit of 2 players taken per club during this period.
  • Free access to all mature-age players without having to draft them in the first two years.
  • Free access to any player not taken in the national draft in the first two years.
  • National draft concessions split over two years, rather than one (in case there is a weak draft year). Not sure exactly what format these should take

I think the key is get a mix of senior leaders and talented young kids. Gold Coast failed because they didn't get the leaders right and you could argue that GWS were too talented (too much individual brilliance, but not enough good character role players).

Firstly a couple of provisions designed to get as many Tasmanians on the list as possible:
  • All uncontracted Tasmanians should be free agents for the club the first time they come out of contract after the club's admission into the league.
  • Free access to all Tasmanian draftees for the first three years, with academy bidding rules applied after that.
And to build the list:
  • All uncontracted non-Tasmanian players should be free agents for the first three years with a limit of 2 players taken per club during this period.
  • Free access to all mature-age players without having to draft them in the first two years.
  • Free access to any player not taken in the national draft in the first two years.
  • National draft concessions split over two years, rather than one (in case there is a weak draft year). Not sure exactly what format these should take

Firstly is to fund a decent state league.

And get back to reform school football.

Firstly is to fund a decent state league.

And get back to reform school football.
TSL should be two conferences imo. A Southern conference and a Northern conference. Then the winners of each could come together in a big north vs south grand final at the end of the season.

Nobody wants to play in the TSL in its current form. Too much travel for not much extra $$$.

TSL should be two conferences imo. A Southern conference and a Northern conference. Then the winners of each could come together in a big north vs south grand final at the end of the season.

Nobody wants to play in the TSL in its current form. Too much travel for not much extra $$$.

Well some decent level of funding would help that. The clubs should have a level of funding that makes it possible to attract the best players & provide facilities that allows for their development.

I did once suggest an 8 team comp. 4 north conference & 4 south conference. Cross over either once or twice, that limits travel. This state league, like the first one was, was poorly planned, poorly structured, poorly run & poorly funded.

Its like the AFL & AFLTas want things to continually fail. I'm just buggered if I know just what they want or expect with such a slip shod/ revolving door approach to everything here.

I think that strangely, the most important aspect ignored for GWS was to ensure there are players to delist each year.
I would like to see the new team get less first round picks than gws, but more 2nd rounders.
Yep this. 2nd rounders are great bargaining tools for 25-29 yo (give or take a year or two). Any new expansion side needs mature experience around them. Heck every side does. Deal also doesn't mess with everyones 1st round pick either.

Get a VFL team in as of next year, and a promising coach to coach them to play the way we want our full team playing. Get all the best young tasmanian players back into the team, even if they wont be good enough to make the team when it comes in in 2026 or whenever. Intergrate our best junior players in the VFL team also. Like if it was next year, you could have guys like McKercher training with the VFL team and maybe getting some games.

Hopefully by the time the real team is ready, 7-10 players will have graduated through the VFL team and no how they will be required to play the Tassie way.

Get a VFL team in as of next year, and a promising coach to coach them to play the way we want our full team playing. Get all the best young tasmanian players back into the team, even if they wont be good enough to make the team when it comes in in 2026 or whenever. Intergrate our best junior players in the VFL team also. Like if it was next year, you could have guys like McKercher training with the VFL team and maybe getting some games.

Hopefully by the time the real team is ready, 7-10 players will have graduated through the VFL team and no how they will be required to play the Tassie way.

We'll soon find out if, when, how.

Strong leadership... Coach and 5 or so players to teach the kids what being a AFL footy player is all about..

Biased a bit... But Boak would be great absolute professional in getting the best out of him self... Doesn't have a premiership to top it off... But would be great at setting the bench mark/leadership.

Why is player retention still taked about negatively? Especially with Victorian kids. It has been debunked so many time over the last 2 years. Less than an hour flight to Melbourne. Should be no problem for the Metro boys and other people have already talked about the Country boys.

I think the best way is they have a lot of early picks but a certain amount of them, they actually have to trade away. By doing that, it will lead to them actually having ready made players and not just fringe or veteran players but ones clubs will trade away for very early picks.
I do not like the suggestion they get some hold on Vic- regional players for a number of years as that would hurt Brisbane that actually adopt a strategy to draft a lot of Vic country kids with the thinking because they not from the city their pull back to an actual club in Melbourne itself is not a strong as metro based Vic kids. I think that has worked for Lions so would be unfair to indirectly * them over in that way for a numbef of years.
I'm more than fine with they get some priority access to Tassie best kids for a good number of years though. But in line with present live bidding on Academy players and father-son bids we already do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back