Expansion How to fix the Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

Possibly. Depends how far south you want to go. I’ve got friends in Byron who don’t consider the Gold Coast to be foreign territory at all. I think the Queensland/NSW rivalry is much more a rugby league thing than AFL because of the success of SOO. If the people want a local AFL team to follow, the Suns are their only choice.
Also depends on how much the Swans want to put into their North Coast Zone surely. I find it interesting the article states visiting their fans.
Not sure what would happen if the Suns started doing school visits in say Lismore or visiting junior training sessions etc. I think any assistance to develop the game in those areas is a positive though.
The tweed coast is a simple matter if logistics, and for their sake allegiance to the Suns is sensible.

Need is a strong word. I understand the idea of 2 teams in every state, but it just seems the interest and talent pool up there is low/not sustainable. Tasmania on the other hand isn't past the Barrassi Line and majority of Taswegians love footy. I mean I hope GC eventually clicks but very, very doubtful.
I'd love a Tasmanian team, but the population is tiny and they'd struggle to retain young men in a city that's pretty small and slow.

Plus - it would mean nothing to TV revenue and league sponsorship. Having a thriving Qld means much more to the league's financial viability long term.

Keep drafting kids who aren’t scared to be without mummy for 5-10 years. Create a great coaching group and culture. Win games of football and then become a destination club.

no just travel as they are.. they keep the kids they can and have them as a method of interest being on the gold coast..

and then get them a good coach and a good lesson of learning where being on the gold coast is a good thing.. keep at it..

it is just persistence and keeping everyone on track.. I know we have done our worst by taking a good player from them but
they need to just keep standing tall and getting on one and one and stay with it..

it is a diabolical situation..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can't.
Without a strong local competition they only had one option in their early days.
Swap draft picks for senior players. They tried that and that didn't work.
Now they have to take players from the draft who don't want to stay at the club.
Call the undertaker - I think they are done.

The Suns have apparently now made their statement.

If you don't want to be here, we don't want you.

However it is tough to sell to prospective player targets.

If it's not already being done, psych profiling of any potential recruit.

I mean this legitimately. If any player lacks mental toughness, is a mummys boy or is deemed a flight risk, the gold coast need to bite the bullet and move on from them irrespective of how good they are. Because if they dont, all they will be doing is putting time and energy into kids that don't want to be there. No return on investment. Other clubs reap the benefits and the cycle of recruiting and then losing kids to the "go home" factor starts all over again.

Recruit kids first and foremost that want to be there.

In time, local academies will also only be of benefit in helping youngsters to stay put.

I'd love a Tasmanian team, but the population is tiny and they'd struggle to retain young men in a city that's pretty small and slow.

Plus - it would mean nothing to TV revenue and league sponsorship. Having a thriving Qld means much more to the league's financial viability long term.

Demetriou? Is that you?

Seems legit though given how the Sydney Swans have transformed AFL’s tv ratings in NSW after 36 years, a couple of premierships and repeated finals appearances...

It is only a matter of time before AFL is a thing of the past in Tasmania because no one really gives two *s about the token games from a couple of minnows stealing Tasmanian money.

Having a Gold Coast team never made any sense given the Bears only an hour away couldn’t sell out their minnow stadium even when they were successful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back