Vic How would you rate Daniel Andrews' performance as Victorian Premier? - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bleating and moaning?.... 4 posts today is "bleating and moaning"???? My bad. Why don't you add to the thread title, "Anyone who criticises Dan is not welcome in this discussion" if you don't want contrary views?
Nothing to say about the debt thing?

Do you think we should have spent more, based on Matthew Guy's promises at the last state election, or less, based on Dan's promises at the last election?

Dan's about to stop spending though. Voted back in with a greatly reduced primary vote, same as the LNP, but with an increased majority.

Big spending promises now scrapped because we're broke, so elected on a lie, not that the LNP are worth a pinch of s**t.

No pokies to introduce like Kirner to find some money and no utilities to sell off like Kennett.

As soon as my last kid has finished secondary school in 2 1/2 years time we're outta here.

Dan's about to stop spending though. Voted back in with a greatly reduced primary vote, same as the LNP, but with an increased majority.

Big spending promises now scrapped because we're broke, so elected on a lie, not that the LNP are worth a pinch of s**t.

No pokies to introduce like Kirner to find some money and no utilities to sell off like Kennett.

As soon as my last kid has finished secondary school in 2 1/2 years time we're outta here.
Haha,

It's not like previous debt problems. The economy is still growing and unemployment is at historic lows. The economy is fine.

The thing about this debt is that most of it went into the pockets of Vic people, to build infrastructure which benefits us in the long run.

We've all been reaping the benefits (Some disproportionately more than others) and now we have to take a hit on our living conditions.

I love that people think every time the economy and wages are going up that it's because they're doing so well as an individual, but when it stalls, it's the Govt's fault.

The LNP were not sufficiently strong on debt at the election last year, but this was mainly due to a generation of Victorians now living without feeling any negative side effects from government debt, so there was not much political hay to be made from talking about debt. That streak ends today.

If a government is borrowing to build or acquire an asset that's fine. But funding any services through debt is a bad idea. Services should only be funded through revenue. You need something tangibly valuable on a balance sheet as a result of debt, and as valuable as services are, they are finished as soon as they are provided. Funding services through debt is about as smart as funding groceries through debt.

Change of Stamp duty being introduced:

Stamp Duty eliminated on purchase of commercial and industrial properties from 1st July 2024. Annual property tax of 1% of the unimproved land value will apply instead.
It will be interesting to see if the definition of commercial and/or industrial properties changes too, ether now or in coming years.
I suspect there will be a push from regional councils to act on the AirBnB issue and the lack of residential supply.

Looks like a payroll tax increase as well - I'm not a fan of this measure at all. Disincentivizing salaried employment given the backdrop of the casualisation of the workforce in western countries is a real and growing problem, and payroll taxes are one measure that contributes to the problem.

It will be interesting to see if the definition of commercial and/or industrial properties changes too, ether now or in coming years.
I suspect there will be a push from regional councils to act on the AirBnB issue and the lack of residential supply.
interesting that we're going the Perrottet route of dropping stamp duty for ongoing tax which long term is better for the state and means you don't care if nobody is selling

and nsw labor are vowing to roll that back now that they are in up there

interesting that we're going the Perrottet route of dropping stamp duty for ongoing tax which long term is better for the state and means you don't care if nobody is selling

and nsw labor are vowing to roll that back now that they are in up there
It's a big shift but many economists say the land tax is much better than stamp duty.

They need to extend this option to residential though. Surely it would help mobilise labour which is a good thing. Who wants to move for a job somewhere else if it means spending your first years' pay on fegging stamp duty when you buy a comparable home closer to work?

It's a big shift but many economists say the land tax is much better than stamp duty.

They need to extend this option to residential though. Surely it would help mobilise labour which is a good thing. Who wants to move for a job somewhere else if it means spending your first years' pay on fegging stamp duty when you buy a comparable home closer to work?
im all for land tax over stamp duty, i just find it interesting that labor is rolling back something that was done by libs when if you listed to fans of the two parties you'd think it would be the other way around

I'd be more excited about this if we didn't have a long history of the state run logging breaking the rules with impunity and new laws come into affect this week that makes it illegal to see if they're continuing to break laws

1684821039940.png

Looks like a payroll tax increase as well - I'm not a fan of this measure at all. Disincentivizing salaried employment given the backdrop of the casualisation of the workforce in western countries is a real and growing problem, and payroll taxes are one measure that contributes to the problem.

Very good observation!!! Deserves more than a like.

For all the huffing and puffing polling still has Labor miles ahead.

Budget wise I'm surprised it's taken this long to get Kananook rail depot going. Really should have been completed before Westall stopped being an active maintenance depot*

*Still used but just projects. No day to day stuff.

Channel Seven wheeling out all of the business and property hacks for their doomsday analysis of the Budget. Paul Guerra was on in the first minute!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back