News Hugh Greenwood joins Crows on 2 year deal

Remove this Banner Ad

He was on the cusp, but Australia go with Mills, Dellavedova & Exum ahead of Greenwood, greenwood is the 4th in like point guard for the national basketball team. He probably couldn't be bothered plodding along in the NBL.

Those three guys are good point depth for a non-USA level national side.

Late to the table I know but... what an impressive interview. Fascinated to see how he goes.

Only slightly concern is the daily grind of basketball got to him.

Whats to stop it getting to him with footy?

I get the 24*7*365 thing with guys trying to crack hoops - I've seen it in mates. But that's the only thing that concerns me with Hugh at present - everything else sounds great.

Late to the table I know but... what an impressive interview. Fascinated to see how he goes.

Only slightly concern is the daily grind of basketball got to him.

Whats to stop it getting to him with footy?

I get the 24*7*365 thing with guys trying to crack hoops - I've seen it in mates. But that's the only thing that concerns me with Hugh at present - everything else sounds great.
I think the issue was the daily grind and not achieving his goals.

If he makes the afl I think it won't be a problem.

Finally got a chance to watch the presser.

Just a first impression but what an impressive young man.

Sounds driven and committed, could be a bit of X factor for us going forward.

Certainly seems a better option than the Irish/US Cat B rookie bingo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really couldn't care less about how well he interviews. What I want to know is - can the kid actually play? Does he actually have any real football talent?

Being an athlete with elite habits is a very good start for a cat B rookie. Playing AFL as a junior is also a tick. (Haggis has chased him since he was 16)

I am guessing we will find the answer to your question while watching him play in the SANFL next year.

The positive public persona is a nice to have that's all.

I really couldn't care less about how well he interviews. What I want to know is - can the kid actually play? Does he actually have any real football talent?
Maybe not in the way he speaks, but his attitude and approach look excellent. You can have all the talent in the world but without dedication and application you won't go too far. You can tell he's not in this for the laughs, he WANTS this.

He looks more talented than me.

I was really impressed with Greenwood yesterday. Certainly has the physique for a footballer and an athletic utility at that. He looked quite natural and his agility stood out when working the mark defensively.

His kick is certainly adequate and will only get better in a professional environment where he is honing his skills daily and under increasing pressure (game scenarios).

I reckon he'll be a reasonable overhead marker too like he was in his junior highlights.

I CAT B selections are definitely getting much better each year.
Donnelly was garbage
Dowdell showed a bit more but still no good.
Osborne was a bit better, but still not quite.
Greenwood & Keath are heads and shoulders above the others at this stage.

I tend to be of the opinion that if you've got some amount of talent and athleticism, combined with a strong mental approach, you'll be at the very least mildly successful.

People aren't excited because he's an engaging interview. They're excited because his interview reveals that he has the right mental acumen. Intelligent, confident, and committed to getting the best out of himself. It's the same reason there was never any doubt that Sloane would be an AFL player.

In my mind the only question with someone like that is how good they will be, rather than if they can play at all.

Yes but you're only a toy breed that keeps royals happy.
images

I tend to be of the opinion that if you've got some amount of talent and athleticism, combined with a strong mental approach, you'll be at the very least mildly successful.

People aren't excited because he's an engaging interview. They're excited because his interview reveals that he has the right mental acumen. Intelligent, confident, and committed to getting the best out of himself. It's the same reason there was never any doubt that Sloane would be an AFL player.

In my mind the only question with someone like that is how good they will be, rather than if they can play at all.
I've got no problem with this. Having the right attitude is definitely a positive thing. But a positive attitude isn't going to get you anywhere if you don't actually have the talent to begin with. He's definitely got the right attitude, but what's his actual talent level like? That's what's going to determine whether he makes it or not.

I've got no problem with this. Having the right attitude is definitely a positive thing. But a positive attitude isn't going to get you anywhere if you don't actually have the talent to begin with. He's definitely got the right attitude, but what's his actual talent level like? That's what's going to determine whether he makes it or not.
He was an elite junior, it's not like he's just switching sports and hoping for the best.

He was an elite junior, it's not like he's just switching sports and hoping for the best.
Was he an elite junior at Australian Rules, or an elite junior at Basketball? Being elite at one does not necessarily mean that he'll be elite at the other.

Just asking here. Not making any judgements at all. Really hope we do finally have a CatB rookie who works out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back