News Hugh Greenwood joins Crows on 2 year deal

Remove this Banner Ad

That may go down as one of the most important debuts in our history depending on the outcome of the next 2 months.

I've got no doubt if he wasn't special that night he would've been dropped straight away.

The funny thing is that he played mostly as a forward that game, yet it's been as a midfielder that he's been more important to the team. So it is odd that kicking 3 goals was what likely kept him in the team.

if there aren't any "elite juniors who switched sports" on the radar I'd be looking around for soccer goalkeepers on the fringe.

their athletic profile and skill set has full forward written all over it.
As a former goalkeeper who played country footy id agree with this and the other spot that works is loose defender. Is spite of being the most accountable position on a soccer field you are not accountable to a player so that skill isnt there. But knowing how a play is unfolding is a key goalie skill

Watching the Bombers game, Hugh is going to be a gun next year with another preseason.

His ability to win the ball around the contest and get it clear is elite, throw in his ability to sneak forward and he will a very dangerous player.

For me the biggest thing I'm looking forward to is him improving his tank.

He's already so valuable to us, and he only plays around 65% game time each week. If he can push that up towards 80% he could take that next step :thumbsu:

Watching the Bombers game, Hugh is going to be a gun next year with another preseason.

His ability to win the ball around the contest and get it clear is elite, throw in his ability to sneak forward and he will a very dangerous player.

He really doesn't look like a 190cm player out there, but when he's in the forward line that height combined with his massive wingspan means he can outmark pretty much any midfielder he's against.

I love it how he's able to spin and get an accurate hand pass off to a team mate. It's a little thing but it demonstrates awareness and balance the likes you don't normally see on a football field.

That and how he plucks the ball out of the air every time an opponent tries handpassing over his head.:p

In a recent interview, it may have even been during the Grand Final Parade, Hugh said he did a job last week, implying that is why his stats were not representative of his performance. Is anyone able to shed light on what that job may have been?

people have been talking about parallels between this year's Grand Final and 1997's - well how about Greenwood and Goodwin...

both are left-footers, both are entering a Grand Final with less than 15 games experience.

Greenwood actually averaging more disposals, more goals, and 2.5x as many tackles per game as Goody in '97...

In a recent interview, it may have even been during the Grand Final Parade, Hugh said he did a job last week, implying that is why his stats were not representative of his performance. Is anyone able to shed light on what that job may have been?

Pyke came out and said that his numbers were down for the PF, but that we'd back him in to lift them when it counts. He said he had got the job done in previous weeks, so we're sticking with him

I just reckon he was being managed and was a bit sore. he can go hard in the F knowing he has 8 weeks off coming up

Pyke came out and said that his numbers were down for the PF, but that we'd back him in to lift them when it counts. He said he had got the job done in previous weeks, so we're sticking with him

I just reckon he was being managed and was a bit sore. he can go hard in the F knowing he has 8 weeks off coming up

Yeah, especially once we kicked out to a decent lead very early on, there was no need to put any unnecessary load on him, just send him out for a run when somebody else needed a rest. He was still out there late in the last quarter - if he had an actual injury concern you'd think they'd have put him in cotton wool by that stage of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any truth to Hugh's mum passing away? Sad if true.
61b2322e05c9773ecdd52850ad517663

Hugh Greenwood’s mother has passed away. Photo: Robert Cianflone/AFL Media/Getty ImagesSource: Getty Images
HUGH Greenwood and the Adelaide Football Club are in mourning, after the midfielder’s mother passed away.

Andree ‘Onny’ Greenwood was surrounded by her family in Tasmania when she lost her battle with breast cancer on Monday.

In an emotional post on Instagram, Greenwood said his mother would be remembered fondly by the myriad of people she had touched in her life.

“Onny was a loving wife, a dear sister, a proud daughter, and of course, a beautiful mother that made every second on this earth count,” Greenwood wrote.

“Onny will be missed dearly, but those whom Onny has touched (and there are plenty), will know that she will be with them wherever they go, and be with them in whatever they do.

“We love you Onny, May you Rest In Peace in God’s loving arms.”

Read more here: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/th...r/news-story/30628015bc2863439e86566368005988

Remove this Banner Ad

Back