Society/Culture 'Hush money' just openly part of AFL policy now

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
This is awkward. As long as the AFL's "integrity unit" thinks it's ok, you're allowed to pay money to make a sexual harrassment complaint go away, or not become public :oops: Isn't this the kind of thing Carlton used to joke about doing in the past?

But perhaps this isn't so surprising from an organisation that 'fired' Simon Lethlean only to allow him to work in the AFL again mere months later.

Looks like we have a long way to go in the AFL, particularly the male version of AFL, until we respect women.

Fremantle hit the headlines earlier this month when it was reported an official made a secret payment to a former junior staffer to settle an alleged sexual harassment complaint.

The AFL's integrity unit investigated the harassment claims and found no further action was needed.

The Fremantle official at the centre of the storm has remained anonymous.

The issue of sexual harassment claims and confidentiality was raised when McLachlan fronted the media in Perth on Friday.

Without wanting to comment directly on the situation at Fremantle, he said it was important for confidentiality agreements to be honoured when the circumstances warranted

"What the core part of the policy is … is actually resolving the issue between the complainant and the person who they are making the allegation against," he said..

This is awkward. As long as the AFL's "integrity unit" thinks it's ok, you're allowed to pay money to make a sexual harrassment complaint go away, or not become public :oops: Isn't this the kind of thing Carlton used to joke about doing in the past?

But perhaps this isn't so surprising from an organisation that 'fired' Simon Lethlean only to allow him to work in the AFL again mere months later.

Looks like we have a long way to go in the AFL, particularly the male version of AFL, until we respect women.

I reckon this comes under the category of "none of your business"

We know plenty, it's just that reporters have had to do the digging, while the AFLM has allowed payments to cover up sexual abuse.
Well we don't. And AFLM? Is this some sort of ministry? Is that what the M stands for? Covering up has been going on for years. I bet you deleted browser history to cover up your pr0n habit from your parents

Well we don't. And AFLM? Is this some sort of ministry? Is that what the M stands for? Covering up has been going on for years. I bet you deleted browser history to cover up your pr0n habit from your parents

AFLM is the male form of AFL.

Yes, covering up has been going on for a while, that still makes it quite shameful. This has been a return to the old days, except it is now being perpetrated and supported by the AFL itself.

AFLM is the male form of AFL.

Yes, covering up has been going on for a while, that still makes it quite shameful. This has been a return to the old days, except it is now being perpetrated and supported by the AFL itself.
I believe that is called AFL. You might be thinking male Aussie Rules perhaps.

Return to the old days? We never left it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe that is called AFL. You might be thinking male Aussie Rules perhaps.

There are many different forms of AFL. AFLW, AFLM, AFLX, International Rules, etc.

Return to the old days? We never left it.

We're just pretending we did.

There are many different forms of AFL. AFLW, AFLM, AFLX, International Rules, etc.

We're just pretending we did.
No, they are four different types of games. One is a league for mens Australian Rules. Another is for Female Australian Rules, another is a piece of s**t and then a hybrid piece of crap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back