emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
When I watched Titanic in 1997 I had no idea that Bill Paxton, who played treasure hunter Brock Lovett also played the obnoxious, bullying older brother Chet in the 1985 sci-fi comedy Weird Science, only realizing this some time later.

Another example is American actress Julie Hegarty. I had seen Flying High (and the sequel), What About Bob?, Everybody Loves Raymond, Freddy Got Fingered, Just Friends and She's The Man, but had no idea that the same actress portrayed flight attendant Elaine (Flying High); Dr. Leo Marvin's wife (What About Bob?); a nervous, highly-strung advertising executive who fired Debra Barone in one day in an episode of ELR; the long-suffering wife/mother who has to deal with the antics of her eldest son and the anger it causes his father in Freddy Got Fingered; the lead character's mother in Just Friends; and the 'girly-girl' mother of Amanda Bynes' tomboy character in She's The Man.

On the subject of Everybody Loves Raymond, I had watched the first Beethoven movie in the early 1990s, but did not realize until I looked it up on IMDB that an obnoxious yuppie couple the family had to entertain were played by future 1990s stars Patricia Heaton (Debra Barone - ELR) and David Duchovney (Agent Mulder - X Files).

It was a similar experience with Michael Richards; I had no idea that the Bow-Tie Serial Killer in the 1990 comedy Problem Child was Kramer from Seinfeld.

Which movies & TV shows have you seen that contained the same actor, but you did not notice at the time?

David Caruso, the red headed star of the CSI TV series was also the "little too wet behind the ears" police deputy in the original First Blood (1982) who copped a nice 30cm hunting knife gash from Rambo in the right hamstring.
I only realized this about 2 years ago when I watched CSI; Miami for the 2nd or 3rd time...

Sep 22, 2000
Calling Wambulances for the Geelong whiners
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ford
David Caruso, the red headed star of the CSI TV series was also the "little too wet behind the ears" police deputy in the original First Blood (1982) who copped a nice 30cm hunting knife gash from Rambo in the right hamstring.
I only realized this about 2 years ago when I watched CSI; Miami for the 2nd or 3rd time...

Ditto,saw that movie a couple of years ago and realised it was David Caruso.

Demosthenes

Premiership Player
Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
It really tripped me out when I found out that Don Draper's crabby old secretary in Mad Men was the mum in the original Karate Kid.

Jun 10, 2009
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
I had no idea when watching Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer that the titular character was also Merle from The Walking Dead.

edit- also didn't realise he was also this guy in Mallrats.
26uU7MJ.gif

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
I watched Bridesmaids when it first came out and thought it was hilarious. Watched it maybe a couple of times. Then maybe a year later, I finally got into Mad Men. Ive watched it all and absolutely love the show.

Then a few weeks back, Bridesmaids was on the telly and there is Don Draper/Jon Hamm playing the obnoxious BF/* buddy for lead actress Kristen Wiig.

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
How about when you think that 2 different people are the same person? :D Several years ago, a friend of mine used to think that Adam Arkin and George Clooney were the same person. This was before Clooney was big. I also have a few, but I can't remember at the moment.

Anyway, I got most of the way through the film The Lucky One (crappy; don't bother) without realizing that Zac Efron was the same kid who was in 17 Again, only 3 years prior. I didn't recognise him at all.

6756496.jpg

Sep 22, 2000
Calling Wambulances for the Geelong whiners
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ford
I had no idea the woman who played Murtaugh's wife in the Lethal Weapon movies was the same woman [Darlene Love] who was always on the last Letterman show before Christmas and sang 'Baby Please Come Home'

It was only when she was out here about 5 years ago and appeared on Spicks & Specks and Adam Hills mentioned it.

Jeffers

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2002
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal/Penrith/LA Lakers
Another one for Michael Rooker. Didn't realise he played Hal in Cliffhanger then i saw him in The Walking Dead as Merle and thinking he looked familiar, just with less hair

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
How about when you think that 2 different people are the same person? :D Several years ago, a friend of mine used to think that Adam Arkin and George Clooney were the same person. This was before Clooney was big. I also have a few, but I can't remember at the moment.

Anyway, I got most of the way through the film The Lucky One (crappy; don't bother) without realizing that Zac Efron was the same kid who was in 17 Again, only 3 years prior. I didn't recognise him at all.

6756496.jpg

I had a similar experience watching "The Wedding Crashers" in 2005. I thought the character of Zach Lodge (Claire Cleary's awful fiancé) was played by Tobey Maguire, having not seen or heard of Brad Cooper (who in a decade since has gone on to be a big star) at that stage. Maguire and Cooper look similar enough to be brothers.

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I had a similar experience watching "The Wedding Crashers" in 2005. I thought the character of Zach Lodge (Claire Cleary's awful fiancé) was played by Tobey Maguire, having not seen or heard of Brad Cooper (who in a decade since has gone on to be a big star) at that stage. Maguire and Cooper look similar enough to be brothers.
Ha ha. Yes, there are quite a few actors who are dead ringers for each other, but none spring to mind at the moment.

Although...recently, didn't know that James Franco had a brother, so I couldn't work out with the young-ish guy in some film I was watching looked so much like him.

I used to think that the older brother in Malcolm In The Middle (Christopher Masterson) was Doogie Howser, but I couldn't work out why he hand't aged. :p Then I didn't know that Christopher Masterson had a brother (Danny), so I could work out why he looked crappier in That '70s Show. Ha

Back