Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Illegal block? By all accounts umpire deemed it legal
The biggest laugh I get from this is that Maynard actually blocked rioli. Took eyes off the ball to turn and push rioli front on and stop him from getting to the drop. Sheed was then able to float across and intercept.

Why does nobody ask who was supposed to cover Sheed? It's not like he's super quick.

Maynard then squandered their last chance by launching a torp to the top of the 50m after the rushed behind from Darling's drop. Shuey saw that coming from 10 minutes away.

Why does nobody ask who was supposed to cover Sheed? It's not like he's super quick.

Had a look at the down the ground footage, it looks like Pendlebury was Sheed's man

But good luck getting anyone to call him out for not defending

Apparently WC and Dom Sheed are responsible for Buck's axing.
Love it.

Herald Sun.

THE SLIDING DOORS MOMENT
The 2018 grand final was the sliding doors moment that dramatically changed the course of Australia’s most famous sporting club.

Collingwood led until the last two minutes, when West Coast pushed up the field and the ball landed in the hands of Dom Sheed deep in the pocket.

Magpies defender Brayden Maynard had been illegally blocked out of the marking contest by Eagle Willie Rioli, but the umpire ignored his pleas for a free kick.

Collingwood legend Peter McKenna, who is no stranger to grand final heartbreak, was watching from the Olympic Stands as Sheed kicked truly to add to the Magpies’ long history of misfortune on the game’s biggest day.

The impact of the kick is not at all lost on him.

“Nathan Buckley was a kick away from being a premiership coach, and had we won that he’d still be coaching,” McKenna said.

“That’s the amazing thing about it. You’re beaten by a kick and that great mark taken by Jeremy McGovern, then marked in the centre and then in the forward pocket with an amazing kick from the boundary line (by Sheed).

“It didn’t veer of course, and even though he’s a left footer if you had 10 shots from there you’d kick one.

“He’s very unlucky to not still be coaching the club.”

When Sheed kicked truly, Magpies legend and 1990 premiership captain Tony Shaw was standing at the MCG race in preparation for the post-game podium presentations.

He’d been appointed the man to present Buckley, who was a young teammate in Shaw’s final season as captain in 1994, and skipper Scott Pendlebury with the premiership cup had the Magpies prevailed.

Up until the last 90 seconds, it appeared Shaw would get the opportunity.

“No doubt whatsoever that Nathan Buckley would still be there (had Collingwood won),” Shaw said.
It's free real estate.

The biggest laugh I get from this is that Maynard actually blocked rioli. Took eyes off the ball to turn and push rioli front on and stop him from getting to the drop. Sheed was then able to float across and intercept.

Bingo, he was so focused on blocking Rioli he didn't notice Sheed until it was too late.

Where did you get that footage from?

It was on one of footages after the game showing the build of the play from the McGovern mark. Basically you could see how the play unfolded down the ground leading to the Sheed mark in the pocket. Pendles was the closest mid to Sheed

I do not get Eagles fans who try argue it was legal on Maynard.

It was a block.
It was play on.

You campaigners know what happened next.

At the time I was extremely worried Sheed had played on.

Wasnt a block. It was two guys in a marking contest engaging each other while a third guy floated in and took it uncontested. Gov has made millions doing that a dozen times a game.

Wasnt a block. It was two guys in a marking contest engaging each other while a third guy floated in and took it uncontested. Gov has made millions doing that a dozen times a game.
Oh in round 4 it's a block, but it was the final quarter of a close GF that had 4 frees in total in that quarter (mostly run down holding the ball), it was the right call not to pay it.

But also, Maynard was blocked, Sheed played on, we won, shove it up your ass Ed

Oh in round 4 it's a block, but it was the final quarter of a close GF that had 4 frees in total in that quarter (mostly run down holding the ball), it was the right call not to pay it.

It was high contact on Rioli initiated by Maynard before it was anything else

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was high contact on Rioli initiated by Maynard before it was anything else

and HTB against Howe in the goalsquare a minute later (after a very clear high free to Sheed not paid).

They put the whistle away - and the 'non-call' of the block was not even close to the most obvious one not paid.

Maynard should consider himself fortunate. By not being paid a free kick he can plead victim in perpetuity when in an alternate reality where he was paid a free, he’d be remembered as the bonehead that turned the ball over to gift us the winning goal

Thats been my argument to the flogs from day dot. The second Maynard turned his back on the ball and locked eyes with Rioli the whistle should have blown. The big meathead barely even registered that Sheed was floating in behind him to take the mark uncontested.

Maynard saw that the ball was coming in high, recognised who his direct man was and lost his nerve when we got 'Nam flashes of Rioli standing on his head taking a spectacular mark. Instead of standing in the drop zone and contesting the mark he panicked, turned his back on the ball and cost his side and his coach a premiership. If it were me that would haunt my dreams forever.

Back in my younger playing days an ump explained that "you're allowed to have a look" (from the perspective of how much an ump will tolerate). Sheed took one step before hitting the brakes, fair enough to call it "having a look".

Of course, suburban footy isn't AFL Grand Final footy. Ump had every right to interpret "having a look" differently :tearsofjoy:

It could have been called a block and also a reasonable call for play on. These things are inconsistent as it happens many time a game and used to be called good shepherding. As people have said previously however, Maynard actually went to Rioli to try and prevent his run at the ball. In doing that, he took Rioli high but that was also not called. Don’t get sucked in by Vic whinging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back